1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

Discussion in 'Offroad Projects' started by BKennedy, June 4, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      salt lake city utah
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 explorer sport
      glad to see you saving car wish I had your expertise at wiring.
      thanks roscoe

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I appreciate that, but its mostly trial and error throughout the years of working on the same rig.

Spent a bunch of time getting nothing really accomplished today. The label maker I ordered last week showed up and ruined all my plans of getting a lot done today.
      20171108_160609.jpg

20171108_160617.jpg

20171108_160637.jpg

This afternoon when I was really thinking about getting some work done, USPS showed up with my double mic holder and 8.8 skid / fill in the recess in the bottom plates made by Rock Ranger. The only holes I plan on putting in the dash are for the mic holder, and alarm LED.

20171108_161250.jpg

20171108_161244.jpg

20171108_160707.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    4. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Got the auxiliary battery and air compressor wired in and installed. I was worried the compressor was fried because the it's old ground wire casing was melted in places, but it works. Forgot to take pictures of the auxiliary battery wiring, but its the same 2 gauge welding wire from the post in the engine compartment to the battery, but in between there is a 450 amp mega-fuse and on the battery side of that is a 200 amp manual reset breaker. I will hopefully remember and take a few pictures tomorrow.

A bunch of supplies arrived today so I can get to wiring the auxiliary fuse panel soon.

5. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Fuse and breaker location for auxiliary battery. I can sit up in there behind the axle to get to them, and they are safely mounted out of harm's way.
      20171114_101301.jpg

20171114_101427.jpg

When the red heat shrink tubing I ordered arrives, I will have red ends on all the + side battery cables.

I also made a temporary hot knife out of a few nails and thin wire to cut the braided loom after fighting with the stuff for a month. It works great. I actually thought about going back and re-cutting all of the work I have done so far, but quickly forced that thought out of my head. This is taking long enough already.
      20171114_111032.jpg

Edit: I just got finished with the majority of the wiring! It got dark on me so I couldn't clean it up and wrap everything, but its mostly finished.

Last edited: November 14, 2017 at 8:21 PM
      • Like Like x 3
    6. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star

City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      '99 XL 4x4 & '16 XLT
      I admire your patience. When I mapped out how to make my duel (front/rear) camera set up it sent my head spinning, so I can only imagine.

7. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I had to walk away or do something else several times while trying to figure out what goes where.

• Like Like x 1
    8. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I finished up most of the wiring for the accessories today and it all works. I did a much cleaner job on it this time. Not quite finished with it. I need to drill a few holes in the inner fender to run ties to tighten it up, but I ran out of time for today. I am working at the Fallout Boy concert in a few hours. Here are a few pictures.

20171115_125455.jpg

20171115_125550.jpg

I moved the main harness that goes from this inner fender, though a hole in the frame and down the inside of the frame to the rear of the Explorer. Holds the fuel pump wiring, among other things. I moved it over so it isn't exposed outside the frame in the fender well. It originally was covered by the plastic inner fender, which I don't have any more. The 2 gauge wire running to the auxiliary battery is in the same loom. I double sleeved the battery wire with expandable weave loom all the way to the back, then wrapped the entire wiring harness in more loom. The picture makes it look close to the exhaust, but its actually farther away then in the original position. The round hole in the frame is where the harness originally was routed. I should weld a plate over the hole, and the two mounting holes for the ABS speed sensor which is no longer needed.
      20171115_135306.jpg

Last edited: November 15, 2017 at 5:31 PM
      • Like Like x 2
    9. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
    10. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      I bought a large print label maker awhile back. Great investment:chug:

11. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Center console done! Well, almost. The switch pod is not very secure. I need to add some metal strips to both sides to make it fit snugly and not pop out of position.

20171117_152026.jpg

20171117_152035.jpg

20171117_152104.jpg

The gap above the radio was intentional. It will help dissipate the heat generated by the ham and CB.

I need to install the alarm and stereo, and the electrical will be finished, except for little details. I ordered different battery terminals because I purchased and installed some other terminals, but they don't have enough metal on them for my liking. After the alarm and stereo are installed, I can button up the dash and finally install Rock Ranger's double mic mount. I also might have to move the CB if it causes interference with the ham or vice-versa. They are next to each other in the console. I can move it under the dash if its a problem.

Should get started on the mechanical issues and interior next week:
      Straighten and sleeve tie rod.
      Replace motor mounts with Brian1's mounts.
      Take front seats to get covered or reupholstered (getting console arm rest covered to match).
      Reinstall interior.
      Put all my crap back in its proper places.
      Go for a long drive...

Then, I need to strip the rest of the parts I want off the donor and call Josh so he can take it away to its final resting place.

I have also been looking at my headliner. Its been slowly failing over the years, and the smoke and steam finished it off. The cloth is separating over the driver's area. Does anyone know if it needs to drop down to come out, or can it slide out the back hatch? I am thinking of attempting to remove it so I can recover it while I have all the interior panels removed, but my cage is in the way of it dropping down. I am hoping I can wiggle it out over the top of the cage. I am going to ask the upholstery person when I drop off the seats.

Last edited: November 17, 2017 at 7:02 PM
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      That really came out great.:chug:

13. rpenner54

rpenner54 Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      Wichita KS
      98 Merc
      I like that shifter, and the layout of everything there. Looks real good!

14. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Torsion Bar Free Elite Explorer

City, State:
      STL MO
      94 XLT-95 FX4
      I have removed/installed the headliners a few times. Doing them by myself, I had to get creative. Using a couple of twist lock type painting extension poles, with a section of thick cardboard. I pushed the liner up snug, and held it there with the poles, until I could get a few of the push clips in from front to back.

As long as you drop the rear of the head liner a few inches to clear the opening, you should be able to pull it out the back. It can bend ever so slightly from front to back, but not much, due to the dish like curves. Don't force it, or it will bend and crack.

The sides can snag as it slides, if too high. Having 3 people would be best. 2 on the sides to keep it in the clear, as 1 pulls in the back.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.