Dana 60 being installed under my 91 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 60 being installed under my 91

Progress has finally begun.
The Dana 60 is completed and ready for installation.

Here is the scoop.

I had a local shop put together a reverse cut Dana 60 with 5:13 Gears and an ARB. I am sticking with the ARB because I like it and my TTB had an ARB in it, so all the plumbing is there. The 60 has a center section from a 80s F-350. The Tubes are from something he had around the shop. The Axels are 35spline and cut to fit my application. I put in my order about 6 months ago. Due to him being a friend and letting him get parts as they became available, it took some time. I was not in any rush as I appreciate the work and cost involved if I were to have purchased it elsewhere.
Anyway, the axel is in and I almost completed the teardown. Let me say this. Half of the brackets and components under the front of my EX were either brocken or bent really bad. I had no idea it was such a mess under there. I am so glag the POS is out of there.

FST is going to build my front end. When completed it will have a 4 link and Coil Overs. The rear will be the 8.8 with 5:13s and a E-Locker. I will get springs to match the front end. I will be running 37 or 38 inch Boggers on 15 inch bead locks.

I forgot my camera I will have pictures next time around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by hvac man
That is one of the cleanest engines I have ever seen :D

I see that world famous trickle from the front main seal. You know he steam cleaned the motor before sending it to the shop. ;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

:D LOL

I havent cleaned the motor in two years.
I do have a leak and its not coming from the rear main, oddly enough it it coming from my oil preasure sending unit and I think maybe from my oil pan. I am going to take care of thoose when its all done.

Hammer BE CAREFUL with the oil pressure sending unit. It is a tappered fitting and overtightening can crack the block...trust me I found out the HARD way, I now have a borrowed engine in my truck until I can rebuild a fresh one....

My axle is 6" forward to keep the 42's outta the floor board and for a killer aproach angle :D

Danger,

Is that OHV 4.0L still up to the task on your truck or would you rather have something with more OOOMPH?

Just curious.

Originally posted by 410Fortune
Danger,

Is that OHV 4.0L still up to the task on your truck or would you rather have something with more OOOMPH?

Just curious.

for rock crawlin (the meaning of life) it's got more than enough power :D Snow- I can keep it spinnin the tires in 3rd gear (one case in low) in 3 feet of powder... and does ok in mud. But I rarely go out looking for deep ass mud anymore so it's not a big deal.

I like knowing I can stand on the fawkin gas in any gear, turn lock to lock all I want and that 60 takes it. If I had a considerable amount more power or v8, I'd be right back where I was with the 4.0 and d44. That's just me though... not everyone is such a terrible driver like I am :D

Good to know. I was mostly curious because in some rigs (cough cough Ricks) it seem the shear weight of the truck would get a bit much for the OHV, but I guess gearing is where you make up for that...

Originally posted by 410Fortune
Good to know. I was mostly curious because in some rigs (cough cough Ricks) it seem the shear weight of the truck would get a bit much for the OHV, but I guess gearing is where you make up for that...

exactly ;)

I just found out today that the guy that was buying my entire front end and assembly for the lift is backing out.
So everything I take off my truck is for sale.
I will post in the F/S Wanted section.

Originally posted by Hammer
I just found out today that the guy that was buying my entire front end and assembly for the lift is backing out.
So everything I take off my truck is for sale.
I will post in the F/S Wanted section.

I know one of the guys at T-haven was interested in your SuperRunner steering. I just don't recall who...

Andrew Reylek Sent me a PM and E-mail.
He is picking it up Sunday.
He is Blaine122300 on the site. He is friends with 410Fortune.

Thanks for the help Rick.

Hey send me the link for the EX that did the ENDO.
And what ever happened to the FST trophy truck crash?

Originally posted by Hammer

And what ever happened to the FST trophy truck crash?

You'll just have to come over to the house to see that one :D

Do a search for Justin McNeil you should find the link. I don't have the video on my computer.

I am going in Sunday to assemble the rest of the Axle.
Brakes, Shafts ETC.

Found out today that I have an 8 lug set up.
Makes things a bit more expensive when it comes to wheels and tires.

8 lug set up Makes things a bit more expensive when it comes to wheels and tires.
hummer beadlocks :D

Originally posted by Rick
I know one of the guys at T-haven was interested in your SuperRunner steering. I just don't recall who...

:) Superunner steering should be going in this weekend. Got it all painted and cleaned up. Hooray! No more steering slop!

Jaime,
I saw the motor with the Cracked BLock from the sending unit bolt! I was feeling really bad for you!!I know that sucked!

kirby, that is the same engine that was attached to your new 5 speed :)
Yes that SUCKED, luckily with friends like BRett you can borrow running 4.0L's hahahahha

any updates hammer

He was working on it on Saturday. I'm going over there to take pictures today. I'll post them later.

Back