diesel engine swap into a 05 ford explorer? Possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

diesel engine swap into a 05 ford explorer? Possible?

corsairally

Reaction score
City, State
Planet Earth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer 4wd
First post here, so pardon me for my ignorance on this topic. But I'm interested in swapping my 4.0l engine with a diesel motor. I would like a clean simple easy installation that wont burn a hole in my wallet. So any advice would be helpful and appreciated. :)

1) What size diesel engine would fit comfortably in a 2005 Ford Explorer 4wd? Anything that will just slide and bolt in, without having to muck about too much?

2)If a swap is possible I would like to at some point run B100 Biodiesel out of it!

3) Is messing around with my transmission necessary?

4) How much dose something like this cost?

5) Could I recover some cost by trading my stock 4.0l engine, to lower costs?

6) Anything else you'd like to add.

You'd need to swap in a diesel and a matching trans. I don't know if the Ex PCM could be tuned to run the diesel or not, but it wouldn't run whatever trans you dropped in.

It's possible that the Excursion diesel would mount up to your 5R55S but I've not seen it discussed.

Add a 4 cyl. diesel and a manual trans.

Good luck and post back!

But I'm interested in swapping my 4.0l engine with a diesel motor. I would like a clean simple easy installation that wont burn a hole in my wallet.

Welcome to the forum!
Sure, it's possible, but not easy, and not cheap. Just the opposite.​

First post here, so pardon me for my ignorance on this topic. But I'm interested in swapping my 4.0l engine with a diesel motor. I would like a clean simple easy installation that wont burn a hole in my wallet. So any advice would be helpful and appreciated. :)

1) What size diesel engine would fit comfortably in a 2005 Ford Explorer 4wd? Anything that will just slide and bolt in, without having to muck about too much?

2)If a swap is possible I would like to at some point run B100 Biodiesel out of it!

3) Is messing around with my transmission necessary?

4) How much dose something like this cost?

5) Could I recover some cost by trading my stock 4.0l engine, to lower costs?

6) Anything else you'd like to add.
Interesting, did you end up doing anything?

Back