Snowball 94 Limited | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snowball 94 Limited

Hey I'm a long time reader and Just bought my first X Wednesday I love it.
SnowballJune3103.jpg

She's a 1994 Limited.Named her Snowball (Sry If someone already had this name) I paid $1500 for her. She got a new Thermostat 2hrs after I bought her cause it locked up on me and over heated in the middle of the road. Her primary duty is going to be as a daily driver/Photography vehicle. I am an avid amateur photographer.

The day after I got her I took her out on her first photo Journey.
Here's some pics.

SnowballJune31018.jpg

She is replacing the 1989 Ranger my parents let me drive till I found my own and just like the Ranger I couldn't keep her on the pavement for long.

SnowballJune31015.jpg

I also found a mound of gravel and flexed the suspension a bit.
SnowballJune3107.jpg

SnowballJune3109.jpg

Her primary purpose will be to get me to college and back and do a little off-roading. She does have some problem but what 16yr old vehicle doesn't. I will eventually get some kind of lift but first is New/Used tires and a MAF.

Leave your opinions did I make a good purchase? What Kind of lift should I get it need to be cheap cause most of my money will be going to School.​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do not put a rubber hose on the tranny line...it may burst off if the ends are not flared...the pressure in the fluid is too high to simply clamp a hose on the pipe. best to get it replaced or just simply see if your trans is acting funny...If you can some how flare the tips only then can you put a hose on it.

as long as there is a half inch to inch of steel line to slide the hose over and clamp to he'll be fine, i patched the line on my explorer with a piece of rubber hose 4 months ago and haven't had any issues. if you that worried double up on clamps but there isn't enough pressure to cause an issue

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Do not put a rubber hose on the tranny line...it may burst off if the ends are not flared...the pressure in the fluid is too high to simply clamp a hose on the pipe. best to get it replaced or just simply see if your trans is acting funny...If you can some how flare the tips only then can you put a hose on it.

My plan is to find a barbed fitting to go into the radiator and if I can find a tubing flare tool at a price I can afford flare the end. Either way I def plan on double hose clamping both ends Cheap insurance.

This brings up another question which hose on the rad is the input from the trans? I plan on installing a filter and cooler in the spring time.

Figured I'd update this.

A couple of days ago I had a spot on my carport that looked like Baking grease and a thumping sound from the rear. The spot was where the rear of my car was so My first thought was leaking rear Diff. I pulled the fill plug stuck my pinky in and couldn't find the fluid level. I pulled the cover to drain it since I was gonna add new figures I'd change it all. I used Mobil1 75w-90 Synthetic it took about 3 bottles. I used RTV for the gasket and it seems to be holding great. I'm hoping for a little increase in MPGs from it.

While I had the cover off I painted it Old Ford Blue. I wanted to go bright Orange but my sis talked me out of it.
IMG00327-20101217-1254.jpg

Hello William, where in Sevierville are you from? I've delivered mail there since 91.

For the trans line, skip rubber hose, that is not smart and 99% of the time blows off. The pressure is too high, period, it will blow off eventually(no one barbs or flares the ends, thus the pressure blows the hose off eventually). All OEM rubber trans line use includes barbed ends which they connect to.

The best answer since you mentioned adding a cooler(wise), is to do that and fix the trans line at the same time. Find a barbed 3/8" hose fitting that will connect to a 3/8" flared fitting like the trans line ends are. You probably will find a male flared fitting, which will require another fitting with two female ends(union fitting).

Doing that will allow you to buy a steel fuel line available at all automotive parts stores. Buy one of those in a size that will replace your damaged upper line and lead to the lower right side of the radiator. That's where the OEM lines go past anyway, and it places the hose fitting there so only a short length of rubber hose is needed to go to a cooler.

I wonder if the very common 95-01 trans coolers will mount easily in the 91-94 Explorers, I'd do that.

Adding an auxiliary filter with the cooler is also cheap insurance for the weak A4LD. Take care of that A4LD, they are very weak and need all the help you can give them. Keep the fluid very fresh and cool, add capacity if possible(filter mentioned or a bigger pan). Regards,

One other thought, have you seen a usable 3.73 4WD front end before for the 91-94's?

I ask because I still have my old 3L73 rear from my 93, it could help your 3.27 truck a bunch. The 3.73 gears get better fuel mileage for most Explorers. I have a 91 4WD with 3.27 gears that got worse mileage than my 93 4WD Limited and 3.73 gears. I'd sell this complete rear for $100, the 3.73 traction lock is the reason I kept it. That and a friend thought he could swap it into an old car. Regards,

Hello William, where in Sevierville are you from? I've delivered mail there since 91.

For the trans line, skip rubber hose, that is not smart and 99% of the time blows off. The pressure is too high, period, it will blow off eventually(no one barbs or flares the ends, thus the pressure blows the hose off eventually). All OEM rubber trans line use includes barbed ends which they connect to.

The best answer since you mentioned adding a cooler(wise), is to do that and fix the trans line at the same time. Find a barbed 3/8" hose fitting that will connect to a 3/8" flared fitting like the trans line ends are. You probably will find a male flared fitting, which will require another fitting with two female ends(union fitting).

Doing that will allow you to buy a steel fuel line available at all automotive parts stores. Buy one of those in a size that will replace your damaged upper line and lead to the lower right side of the radiator. That's where the OEM lines go past anyway, and it places the hose fitting there so only a short length of rubber hose is needed to go to a cooler.

I wonder if the very common 95-01 trans coolers will mount easily in the 91-94 Explorers, I'd do that.

Adding an auxiliary filter with the cooler is also cheap insurance for the weak A4LD. Take care of that A4LD, they are very weak and need all the help you can give them. Keep the fluid very fresh and cool, add capacity if possible(filter mentioned or a bigger pan). Regards,

I live behind the Smart Bank and Weigles on the Parkway.

I don't really understand what you are saying but my plan is to find a barbed fitting that will fit in the spot that the Steel line connected to in the radiator. Then cut the steel line about an inch below the kink and flare the end when I have the money for the tool or find someone who has one. Then connect it with rubber line and use 2 clamps on both ends.

As for the cooler I will add it in the spring I plan to go out to Pull-A-Part and see if I can find a stock first Gen one if not then one from a 2nd Gen and make it fit. I will defiantly be adding the Aux Filter after reading several threads about it.

I haven't really looked at the gears before. I would love to one day go to higher gears but right now it's not possible I have no place to change them or the money to do. I'm at about 17mpg right now and that better than I thought I would ever get I was expecting 15mpg when I got it.

I didn't carry mail over there for long, and that was 15 years ago. I work near the PO now, around the hospital and McDonald's.

The 95-01 trucks have that trans line go down like yours, and it ends at the bottom right corner of the radiator. There are three hard lines on the trucks with the extra cooler, that short line being the one you need to fix. I'm suggesting you cut the stock line down below in that corner behind the radiator, and replace it with a common steel fuel line that all stores carry. Those screw right into the radiator, having the 3/8" male fitting on both ends.

You could still do that and just connect the line ends with a barbed fitting and a short length of hose, until you get to the cooler or filter.

If you get to Knoxville before long, go to Royal Brass and Hose, they have all the fittings you might need, including the fuel line(steel). It's very close(3/4 mile(Amherst Rd off of Western Ave)) to the main Knoxville PO which is on Weisgarber Rd. That fuel line comes in straight lengths you can bend to fit, what you would need is in the 36" range.

I did this on my 99 three years ago. Note that those OEM kind of flare fittings are common to leak, in the aftermarket stuff you find. Be sure if you go that route, buy an o-ring for each female fitting which drops right down into it. That will seal the joint far better than the high torque needed without an o-ring.

Attachments

• Projectthread110.JPG
    Projectthread110.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 606

Ok I tried to tackle the kinked tranny line today and it didn't go very well.

First I went and got the tool I would need. I picked up a set with a tubing cutter and a flare tool for $10 at Tool Warehouse.
IMG00328-20101220-1217.jpg

Then I went to Auto Zone cause I figured they would have everything else I need. First I got a lady who knew absolutely nothin then they didn't have the barb fitting I needed and they also didn't have the Rubber line. I went to Advanced and they had the line but no fitting so I went to Home Depot figuring they'd have it first I get one to small 3/8 x 1/4 didn't figure it out tell I got home.

Went back and got 3/8 x 3/8 and it's to big. So I luckily checked while in the parking lot went back in to get a 3/8 x 5/16 and of course they don'r have it. SO can any one point me to a site where I can order one? If not I'm goin to Pull-A-Part and get one that's not kinked and cut it off with a few inches of the steel line.

But I did pick up one of those Cig Lighter Led flashlights for $3.

Maybe a picture of what I want to do will help someone help me.

IMG00316-20101125-1233.jpg

Are you in Knoxville now?

If you get to Knoxville before long, go to Royal Brass and Hose, they have all the fittings you might need, including the fuel line(steel). It's very close(3/4 mile(Amherst Rd off of Western Ave)) to the main Knoxville PO which is on Weisgarber Rd. That fuel line comes in straight lengths.

The OEM trans lines have the same ends as the parts stores fuel line, 3/8" in size. It screws right into the radiator adapter fitting, but be sure to add the o-ring I mentioned.

Royal Brass is very good for having just about any fitting or adapter you could imagine, and more. They will work with you to put together a group of parts to do the job. Tell them what you are doing and the fittings mentioned here. they are open until 5:30PM I think, maybe 6:00PM.

Fixed the kinked hose today.
I went and cut about 6" of steel line with the fitting off 2 X's at Pull A Part. I tried the flare tool I picked up but should have know that for $10 it was too good to be true.

So I slipped about an inch or 2 of rubber hose over each side and tightened down 2 hose clamps per side. Took a drive around taking pictures and then checked once I got back home and all was good.

I did feel like a massive idiot today though I'll admit. I finally realised I have a factory tranny cooler. For some reason I had it in my head that it was the part of the A/C system. I did pick up a rather large cooler at pull a part today but I couldn't get it to fit.

So I'm gonna throw it up on Cragslist and see if I can get rid of it. Only paid $10 so no big loss. I will grab another stock one when I out there again cause I want this transmission to last till I'm out of college at least.

Some pics from today and a little project I've been working on.
EastTNDec2320105.jpg

EastTNDec2320101.jpg

And Now The Emblem
EastTNDec2320107.jpg

I got it off an F150 and attempted to change the blue to orange and it turned out horrible. So I then had a thought to sand the front and paint it Orange. I found the Ford sticker then needed to balance it out so I bought some scrapbook letters. I then buried it all under about 5 layers of clear. Not sure I like it though.

Oh and another thing while I'm thinking about it any body made a good How To on repairing paint chips the front of the hood is bugging the heck out of me.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I know I did it turned out to be a white one here so I got the drive the X the 45min to my Aunts house last night. She did great even though there was no snow on the ground. We've got about 3in now and it's still snowing gonna get out and play in it tomorrow.

I also got some useful stuff for the X for Christmas got a pair of 2Ton Jackstands and a floor jack. My parents also got a Gearwrench Ratchet set with an tilt head. I've seen a set like this the sockets are hollow so no need for large sockets. I know not a good explanation but I'll get a pic later. I'm just glad to have a decent set it's a lot better than the cheapy set I bought myself lol.

Cleaning Day

Well the weather was great today so I decided it was time to clean out the interior.

I noticed under the seats was filthy when I was searching for the Rearview mirror mount that I was gonna JB Weld onto the old one but couldn't find it so I bought a plastic one and tried it but it didn't work. Any ideas?

But back on topic I decided to pull the seats. I started on the driver side and it came out real easy only bolt that gave me some trouble was the T50 but I got it out. Under it I found this
CarpetClaening2.jpg

Not too bad just out of frame though is a pile of change mostly dimes.

Then I did the passenger seat it was a bit harder I couldn't get a socket on the back inside bolt so I had to use a half in wrench. It took a while but I got it out.
Under that seat I found all this.
CarpetClaening3.jpg

Little more junk and I also found several lighters and a few Cigarette butts. Previous owners must have been smokers.

Then out came the center console very easily I tightened up the mounts and on the front mount the forward bolt snapped. So I think I'm just gonna screw it down with a short sheet metal screw.

I then vacuumed the carpet was about to call it all good and put it back together and remembered Mom had one of the little Green carpet cleaners so I figured might as well go the whole nine yards and shampoo it too. After fighting the madness at Walmart for the Shampoo stuff I cleaned them all up and the water came up like this...
CarpetClaening1.jpg

Just a tad bit dirty. Left everything out so it could dry overnight. While I had it all out I scrubbed the center console and tightened up the seat covers. Also while I had easy access I replaced the cracking side plastic on the driver seat with a good piece I picked up.

Tomorrow I'll put it all back together and get finished pics.

On a sad note I'm now unemployed for 3months so all mods for a while will have to free ones or relatively cheap and to add to it tonight while heading to a friends house for a New Years Eve get together I got a speeding ticket. I blame it all on that dumb Ranger I took it cause mine was all apart. For some reason when I get in it I just put the pedal down and never look at the Speedo.
167076_1831010898722_1343856776_32124672_7317500_n.jpg

Good work there, the weather was great for Winter here. How is that rug, because I still have mine and probably won't use it. It didn't fit right in my 99 floor, the console area changed a little in 1995. My green 93 rug looks almost new, I cleaned it when I got the Limited in 1998, and it hasn't needed anything really since then. Meaning it's been vacuumed but I didn't add any stains to it. Happy New Year, don't drown today with the rain.

Good work there, the weather was great for Winter here. How is that rug, because I still have mine and probably won't use it. It didn't fit right in my 99 floor, the console area changed a little in 1995. My green 93 rug looks almost new, I cleaned it when I got the Limited in 1998, and it hasn't needed anything really since then. Meaning it's been vacuumed but I didn't add any stains to it. Happy New Year, don't drown today with the rain.

The Weather was great; Go from couple inches of snow the days before to 60degree weather. The carpet came out great has a few stained parts but they're under the seats so no biggie. Pics coming in a few min.

Finished Carpet Cleaning

Finished up the interior today and put it back together.

Cleaned carpet.
DSC_9901.jpg

There's a few stains that didn't come out but the seats cover them so it doesn't matter.
Few More of the carpet.
DSC_9903.jpg

DSC_9904.jpg

DSC_9905.jpg

DSC_9909.jpg

And it's all back together.
DSC_9907.jpg

DSC_9908.jpg

And now I have no more squeaks in the interior.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very nice, isn't that a great feeling when you get it done, cleaned and shined up?

Very nice, isn't that a great feeling when you get it done, cleaned and shined up?

Oh ya feels great it was driving me crazy I hadn't vacuumed in 2months it was really bad. Now all thats left is to clean the windows cause some of my friends decided to write on them when they fogged up and clean the outside. All this salt and snow has made the outside absolutely horrid was gonna wash it before Christmas but with them predicting snow it would have been a waste.

Back