Exhaust performance gains?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust performance gains??

Thats cool. But you didnt know I have a calibrated butt. So my SOTP feel is pretty accurate. :p

BTW I'd love to see how your dual exhaust was routed. Any pics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard that Superchips Custom Tuning was coming out with a new tuner!
Whats it called??? The AzzCalibrator???

Heheheeheeeeeee....I made a funny......

I think I have a pic or two of how my exhaust was routed on my cardomain.com webpage.

Ah so you dumped the spare tire. Mine is too much the daily driver by both me and the wife to do that. I went with the 70 Flowmaster and 2.5 single. Sounds great without being intrusive.

Anrev said:
Ah so you dumped the spare tire. Mine is too much the daily driver by both me and the wife to do that. I went with the 70 Flowmaster and 2.5 single. Sounds great without being intrusive.

Yeah. I could have kept it but I didnt want to pay for all the additional mandrel bends it would have thrown into the it. Besides, being that I will either be rolling around on my 20" street tire/rim setup or 15x10's with DR's on the back I wont really have allot of use for a spare tire. Besides, my explorer is already slated to be the weekend racer. The LS is going to be the DD.

rocket 5979 said:
Buy a muffler that is stainless then. I forget if flowmaster offers theirs i stainless but it is worth a look. I am pretty sure magnaflow offers some of their in stainless. Borla probably does too.

The magniflow exhaust I was looking at was all stainless - but I have never heard it on an Explorer 5.0. Before I spend the money I want to be assured that I will like the sound. Flowmasters have a "signature" sound that I really like, not sure what the magniflow sound like.

Magnaflow has a good website with sound samples. The vehicles are a Mustang, Expedition, a Durango, etc. They sound very good. The other exhaust compnents will affect the sound you know. The pipe size, tailpipe type and length, number of cats, etc. are a little different for each vehicle. Good luck,

I checked it and they do sound good, no 5.0 Explorer though. The mustang sounds good but I still like the Flowmaster sound better.

I have heard bad things about magnaflows in SOHC explorers, lots of interior drone apparently.

On my 4.0 OHV the magnaflow sounds perfect, nice and low with a moderate increase in volume compared to stock, with no ricey crackling sounds.

spta97 said:
I heard the 70 and it sounded really nice. I was very close to getting it until I was talked out of it by a shop who said it will rust. The stock exhaust is staineless steel and will not rust so what is your feeling on putting on a system that you know will cause you problems down the line? I live in NY so I have wet / snowy conditions for a good part of the year.

ive had flows on my slammed mustang for several years now and there's no rust. the bottom was coated w/ rustoleum by the muffler shop but is constantly scrapped on stuff. Id say that if you're worried about it, just coat them w/ some rustoleum.

anybody got any sound clips of magnaflows, gibsons, or flowmasters on a 4.0? I don't want loud since this is the family vehicle, just a few more HP. I get enough droning in the mustang w/ flowmaster 40s.

most exhaust manufacturer's websites have sound clips for their mufflers, i know for a fact that magnaflow and flowmaster do this, not sure bout gibson. Unfortunately the online clips are almost always big V8 cars and trucks.

Skibum1989 said:
most exhaust manufacturer's websites have sound clips for their mufflers, i know for a fact that magnaflow and flowmaster do this, not sure bout gibson. Unfortunately the online clips are almost always big V8 cars and trucks.

that's why im asking if anyone w/ a expo has sound clips. any muffler sounds good w/ a big liter performance motor blowing through it.

The magnaflows sound identical to the website, even in my puny 4.0 liter. Although i have never heard any crackling, which is heard in the online clips. Try googling it; before I got my exhaust done, i searched for reviews and a couple people wrote good write-ups on the popular exhaust brands with V6's and complimented it with some video clips with sound.

Go with the Gibson stainless steel cat back like you originally were looking at. Thats what I have a my SOHC and couldn't be happier. Its 2.5" and the wall thickness is better then the Flowmasters tubing. I wouldn't waste time looking at anything else. Sounds great and not too loud.
Just my 2 cents!

Wht Knight said:
ive had flows on my slammed mustang for several years now and there's no rust. the bottom was coated w/ rustoleum by the muffler shop but is constantly scrapped on stuff. Id say that if you're worried about it, just coat them w/ some rustoleum.

You have to take into account your geographic location and how that plays into the corrosion of your muffler too. This fella is from New York where it is quite regularly rainy, snowy, and just plain slushy. Couple that with the certain abrasive salts and compounds needed to break up this stuff in the wintertime and you have a really bad area to live if you have regular non-stainless parts.

rocket 5979 said:
You have to take into account your geographic location and how that plays into the corrosion of your muffler too. This fella is from New York where it is quite regularly rainy, snowy, and just plain slushy. Couple that with the certain abrasive salts and compounds needed to break up this stuff in the wintertime and you have a really bad area to live if you have regular non-stainless parts.

Yea, I remember last winter when I was parked in a foot of snow overnight touching the whole undercarriage (including exhaust). I love snow, I just don't want to waste my money on an exhuast that will rust out prematurely. I'm hoping that some 1500 Flame Proof header paint will help some, but I've also been told that the moisture from the inside of the exhuast is what causes the rust.

I have ceramic coated JBA headers with no cats and a true custom dual exhaust with borla cat back and a magnaflow x muffler.... and I custom made the air box to suck cold air with a k&n filter.... when im cruising she sounds very nice and purs crisp... once I get on the gas she sounds like a freight train!!!

Our 4.6's are rated at 239 compared to 275 on the same PI mustang motors due to more restrictions... like for one the single exhaust, computer programing and the fan clutch.

I already removed my fan clutch and added an electric fan... and I actually felt a differnece... Ive also bought an LM1 and the Xcalibrator 2 and have tuned my motor in nicely....

But all in all... exhaust is a great upgrade, even if thats all you will be doing.. motors need to breathe!!!

awdrocks said:
Our 4.6's are rated at 239 compared to 275 on the same PI mustang motors due to more restrictions... like for one the single exhaust, computer programing and the fan clutch.

I just want to claify a few things.

What 4.6 was ever rated at 275 hp stock? I know it wasnt the 99-04 PI headed 4.6 SOHC Mustang GT's because that number was 260 at the flywheel. The Bullit was rated at 265 due to stuff like underdrive pullies and whatnot. Nothing at 275 though.

I seen in your vehicle name you put 2002 SVT. Which vehicle are you talking about here because if memory serves me correct the only actual SVT vehicle made in 2002 was the Focus. Please dont tell me your referring to your Explorer...

Just want to know.

rocket 5979 said:
I just want to claify a few things.

What 4.6 was ever rated at 275 hp stock? I know it wasnt the 99-04 PI headed 4.6 SOHC Mustang GT's because that number was 260 at the flywheel. The Bullit was rated at 265 due to stuff like underdrive pullies and whatnot. Nothing at 275 though.

I seen in your vehicle name you put 2002 SVT. Which vehicle are you talking about here because if memory serves me correct the only actual SVT vehicle made in 2002 was the Focus. Please dont tell me your referring to your Explorer...

Just want to know.

1997 4.6 SOHC 215HP Mustang Engine
1998 4.6 SOHC 225HP Mustang Engine
1999 4.6 SOHC 260HP Mustang Engine
2001 4.6 SOHC 265HP Mustang Bullitt Engine

Here are the Mustang numbers... I did make a mistake I meant 265.. memory served me wrong.. im just getting old :)

Yes I am referring to my Explorer... If my sig says EXPLORER SVT than im abviously referring to my X.... SVT didnt make an Explorer and SVT probably will never... its just a touch of my personal SVT department.. maybe ill give SVT some ideas to build one... actually when I FIRST ordered the SVT emblems I had no idea what SVT stood for... I thought it was just an abreviation for Superchaged Vehicle something... so if those emblems bother enouph people (2 people to date) ill just throw some red paint on them to make them stick out more.... lets stirr up some emotions ;) Besides if someone doesnt like the emblems... they will hate them even more when all they see is my rear SVT emblem as their getting smoked!!! Im actually walking the walk so I deserve to have a little fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

awdrocks said:
1997 4.6 SOHC 215HP Mustang Engine
1998 4.6 SOHC 225HP Mustang Engine
1999 4.6 SOHC 260HP Mustang Engine
2001 4.6 SOHC 265HP Mustang Bullitt Engine

Here are the Mustang numbers... I did make a mistake I meant 265.. memory served me wrong.. im just getting old :)

Yes I am referring to my Explorer... If my sig says EXPLORER SVT than im abviously referring to my X.... SVT didnt make an Explorer and SVT probably will never... its just a touch of my personal SVT department.. maybe ill give SVT some ideas to build one... actually when I FIRST ordered the SVT emblems I had no idea what SVT stood for... I thought it was just an abreviation for Superchaged Vehicle something... so if those emblems bother enouph people (2 people to date) ill just throw some red paint on them to make them stick out more.... lets stirr up some emotions ;) Besides if someone doesnt like the emblems... they will hate them even more when all they see is my rear SVT emblem as their getting smoked!!! Im actually walking the walk so I deserve to have a little fun.

Just my opinion but I would put the Cobra emblems on there before I would put the SVT emblems on there just because the Cobra doesnt stand for any acronym per-se where as the SVT lettering does. For me to feel justified in putting a Corba or any other emblem on my truck I would have to had raced a person for them first. I already have this in plan for a race with an 03-04 Cobra. I will offer the guy $150 to race and if I win I get his Cobra emblems. If he wins he gets my money. Even then I would never label my truck as an SVT in my sig or call it that. If anyone asked me what the emblems are doing on my truck I would tell them why. That would at least earn me respect and validate things to a certain extent as to why my truck was wearing those things. Maybe I overthink this, but that is the way I feel on it.

Back