My Explorer (little dif than most on here) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer (little dif than most on here)

410 has an older version, and he chose black because of personal preference. I have chrome, and I really do think you would like them. Plug and Play! I'm using 6000K Hid's in the projectors. H1 bulbs for the high beam and projectors. but as far as plugs and wiring goes.. everything plugs nicely into your normal 9007 socket. Lemme find some pictures.
QUOTE]

So If I have the HID kit conversion already itll just plug in. Cause I have the 9007 kit with no high beams

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll need H1 HID bulbs, but that's a small cost. It's definitely worth it, the improvement is unbeatable by any stock type lense you buy. The halos look good, and finally a second light (halogen.. they suggest you dont use a 55w HID in the projector (normal HID kits are 35w), and no more than a 55w h1 halogen in the high beam.. One peice makes taking them out a peice of cake. The projector and high beam can be adjusted also. (I've seen an excursion one like this and it wasn't adjustable... which is ridiculous)

I'm using a silverstar set of bulbs in the high beam, it's nice.

You'll need H1 HID bulbs, but that's a small cost. It's definitely worth it, the improvement is unbeatable by any stock type lense you buy. The halos look good, and finally a second light (halogen.. they suggest you dont use a 55w HID in the projector (normal HID kits are 35w), and no more than a 55w h1 halogen in the high beam.. One peice makes taking them out a peice of cake. The projector and high beam can be adjusted also. (I've seen an excursion one like this and it wasn't adjustable... which is ridiculous)

I'm using a silverstar set of bulbs in the high beam, it's nice.

Ok s both bulbs are H1s then. Easy enough. HID for low beam and Halogen for high. When flipping the high beam on does the low beam stay on or does it just switch like factory?

Like factory but that's easily fixable with the same mods you'd do in the first place. I've gotten used to just holding back the stick for both... I'll end up doing the mod someday, besides my high beam help's only a little bit when I have all four of my Hella's and those fogs in my grille on. [Yes, I know the point of fogs.. these aren't for fog.. (wouldn't work with how I have them anyways) they're for trail use, light on the sides]

Like factory but that's easily fixable with the same mods you'd do in the first place. I've gotten used to just holding back the stick for both... I'll end up doing the mod someday, besides my high beam help's only a little bit when I have all four of my Hella's and those fogs in my grille on. [Yes, I know the point of fogs.. these aren't for fog.. (wouldn't work with how I have them anyways) they're for trail use, light on the sides]

ahh.Id rather do the mod..I dont know what it is but that would annoy me. With my HIDs I dont feel I even need high beams anyway. Ive gone 6 years with the same set up cause its the same light kit i had in my last ranger too.

a few desert trips and those would be destroyed. the sand and dirt is brutal on plastic lenses

sand and dirt is not brutal on 3M clear bra

All my headlights and aux light lenses get coated in 3m clear bra.. it never yellows, it babrely even gets pitted in 10 years of ORD

I did eventually break a lens that had the clear bra on it, but it was 10 years old, the 3m still held it together, it was gravel that destroyed it:
carnage3.jpg

that was a brutal wheeling trip on the rig! LOL, 200 mile round trip, big rocks!!
carnage1.jpg

before the clear bra, here in CO (sand on ice) I was breaking lenses every season............ with Hella / IPF H4 headlights and PIAA aux lights LENSES = $$$

plastic or glass the 3m stuff goes on without bubbles, goes around slight curves, trims easy, and lasts forever... sometimes a tint shop will even give or sell you scrap pieces for cheap...

I am so inspired by your tube work.... the gen II interior back in place without chopping it up is PERFECT and cage/body becoming one without big dimpled plates = stellar!

Merry X mas!! I NEED TO GET MY ASS IN THE GARAGE! Ive had enough of wrapping paper!! LOL

I've found that it's not so much of the "the HIDs are so bright, any halogen light isn't seen" it's more about where everything is aimed.... for example... where your HID's spread out.. and then you turn on your hella's...

plus, high beam is just nice to have... to flash people to get their attention or whatever... or maybe to even light up something coming up... maybe a sharp corner you can't see very well.. or maybe you think you see a rabbit.. who knows... HIDs or not.. I still like high beam.... just not with those bi-xenon bulbs.. that was worthless..

sand and dirt is not brutal on 3M clear bra

All my headlights and aux light lenses get coated in 3m clear bra.. it never yellows, it babrely even gets pitted in 10 years of ORD

I did eventually break a lens that had the clear bra on it, but it was 10 years old, the 3m still held it together, it was gravel that destroyed it:

before the clear bra, here in CO (sand on ice) I was breaking lenses every season............ with Hella / IPF H4 headlights and PIAA aux lights LENSES = $$$

plastic or glass the 3m stuff goes on without bubbles, goes around slight curves, trims easy, and lasts forever... sometimes a tint shop will even give or sell you scrap pieces for cheap...

I am so inspired by your tube work.... the gen II interior back in place without chopping it up is PERFECT and cage/body becoming one without big dimpled plates = stellar!

Merry X mas!! I NEED TO GET MY ASS IN THE GARAGE! Ive had enough of wrapping paper!! LOL

Ya I hear that. Im not all that interested in it yet. I have had the current projectors for 3 years and they are barely tarnished. I bought this stuff that takes the yellow out of plastic lenses from 3M. I got it off a dude we tiled his bathroom for and he gave it to me for free. It works *****en. They look brand new when the truck is washed. It stays in the garage everyday so it doesnt get much sun beat down on them. More so sand and **** from glamis cause thats mostly where we go out.

And thank you on the tubing compliments. I need that stuff as tight as possible being 6'5" 250lbs, room is necessary. Plus I hate the look of huge tie in plates. They look ridiculous and sloppy in my eyes. I did the same thing In my ragner cage but it was all 1.75OD tubing, not 2 "

heres a pic of two

As far as lighting. It doesnt drive on the street much especially at night so Im not worried about it. I have 3 Hella 4000s on the bumper and a light rack with 5 4000s being built. Light is no issue of mine so high beams dont bother me too much.

If I run out of **** to spend money on maybe Ill go for it, lol

Very nice work. Could you please show how you ran the tube under the cowl, and also show the pillar tube to floor area?

I dont have any pics of the tube behind the dash in with the dash reinstalled. All I have is with the dash back in. Ill take a pic of the a pilars to the frame when I get some work done on it in a few. Gotta go in and weld all the tubing thats just tacked in and mount the seats back in the truck and Im done for a couple weeks. All the after hours is just wearing us the hell out so Ill finish the rest after new years.
1218092256-1.jpg

here the same tube in my ranger. Behind the explorer dash was a little different. The tube to the side of the frame is on my ranger but it is the exact same as on my explorer...but I will get a pic tonight anyway cause its right next to my shock hoops on the explorer.

Replaced the windshield and took some pics of how the cage will be for new years. Get some more tubing and finish the roof and c-pilars after new years.

IMG_9252.jpg

IMG_9254.jpg

IMG_9255.jpg

IMG_9256.jpg

IMG_9268.jpg

IMG_9273.jpg

IMG_9274.jpg

absolutely amazing. the quality of work in this thread is top notch. keep it up, man!

anything new with this? awesome truck!

anything new with this? awesome truck!

Ive ordered some 18x3.0 3 tube bypasses from Fox shocks and also have a Jaz fuel cell on the way. Going to c-notch the rear frame and run the 18s through the back of the cargo area and install and hook up the fuel cell. I have yet to recieve the shocks yet so no progress.

damn, what a sick explorer.

I live oceanside, commute to esco couple times a week. I got a 98 eb 5.0 explorer Im getting ready to lift. Not quite as badass as yours though! Still researching how to lift it and which tires to get (33s or 35s)

that is a sweet x you must have a lot of time in it but your welds looking a little bit cold in some spots

that is a sweet x you must have a lot of time in it but your welds looking a little bit cold in some spots

Thank you. The only pic that I can imagine you speaking of cold welds would be that of my ranger with the tube hitting the frame next to the fish plate with the hole in it. That was actually done with a 110 welder cause the board when out in the big miller. On the explorer a buddy of mine welded most of it and I got in there on a few. Im sure mine would be more inconsistant than his. Hes a better welder than me by far.

I cant wait to get the 18s in the back and get the full 21 inches of travel out of the rear end.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything new, Dan??

Back