Solved - Exploring Forced Induction: The Fluid MotorUnion Ford Explorer Turbo Build Thread! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Exploring Forced Induction: The Fluid MotorUnion Ford Explorer Turbo Build Thread!

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I figured thats why. I remember Iowa's salt habits... Still really icy out there in winters.
Utah salts in the winter, just not to that extreme :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks excellent. Question with the welding - are the intercooler mounts stainless as well? I see you know your stuff and are back gassing all the tube welds - what do you do on the plate? I have a bunch of flat stock parts to do and without the back gas, get the crystal formation. Any way to avoid it?

Also, do some good detail on the heat exchanger mounting. I will be supercharging my sport trac (have a Saleen Series VI headunit already) in the near future, but don't see a good place for the heat exchanger without taking all of the first air from the rad / condenser.

I will check on the intercooler mounts for you. If we did them in mild, we would have painted them. However, if they are mild, that doesn't mean we're not waiting to paint them once everything is nearing completion (less risk of damaging the paint and the overall niceness of the build).

The heat exchanger takes up a good portion of the front grill now. The air can pass all the way through it, but I understand the concern in getting fresh air to the rad/condenser area. I'll check up on that.

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS BUILD!!!!!!!!:popcorn::notworthy

Thanks!!

That Explorer is sure rusty.

They do SALT in the winters in IL! That's probably why it's rusty.

It's all about the salty Chicago roadways. This is a DD, so it's seeing action in both the heat and the cold, and that brings about all sorts of lovely issues, like the rust from the overabundance of salt our state likes to lay down.

So this guy is in the Chicago area huh? I might have to meet up with him one day when I get back in the area. 400rwhp will be no issue to hit with twins on the stock bottom end. I hit 400rwhp on the Kenne Bell at 9 psi with a semi-aggressive tune in my Exploder back in 06 and that was with the stock 2v engine. That 3v likes boost a little bit more so between that and the ability to make more power per psi boost this truck should easily see 400rwhp on about 7 psi or so if it is 2wd. Which Garrett's are those btw? Does the owner intend to go swap to external gates anytime soon or just strictly keep it simple?

Nice welds by the way. That Lincoln TIG machine looks verrrrry similar to my Lincoln Precision 225 TIG machine; which model is it? I also have a Lincoln 140C MIG for my lighter and quicker work. Good brand of welders. ;)

So this guy is in the Chicago area huh? I might have to meet up with him one day when I get back in the area. 400rwhp will be no issue to hit with twins on the stock bottom end. I hit 400rwhp on the Kenne Bell at 9 psi with a semi-aggressive tune in my Exploder back in 06 and that was with the stock 2v engine. That 3v likes boost a little bit more so between that and the ability to make more power per psi boost this truck should easily see 400rwhp on about 7 psi or so if it is 2wd. Which Garrett's are those btw? Does the owner intend to go swap to external gates anytime soon or just strictly keep it simple?

Nice welds by the way. That Lincoln TIG machine looks verrrrry similar to my Lincoln Precision 225 TIG machine; which model is it? I also have a Lincoln 140C MIG for my lighter and quicker work. Good brand of welders. ;)

The turbos are Garrett VNT's, I believe the VNT-25s from the Shelby CSX.

The VNT's are variable-geometry turbos, so it should produce some decent low-to-mid end grunt, as well.

They've been ported and clipped, as well.

As a last little bit of info, he probably won't need to upgrade to external wastegates, as the VNTs don't require wastegates :)

Question with the welding - are the intercooler mounts stainless as well? I see you know your stuff and are back gassing all the tube welds - what do you do on the plate? I have a bunch of flat stock parts to do and without the back gas, get the crystal formation. Any way to avoid it?

Just talked to fab -- our mounts are made from stainless. For the plate, we have a little trick spot in our smaller welding table that allows us to keep the shielding gas held on the other side of the plate, so oxidization doesn't occur.

Nice build!

great work!!!! sure is badass!!!

Wooooooooooo 400 RWHp ........................ what tuning Software/Hardware do you guys use ? to accommodate the right air/fuel ratio and timing condition for the varying throttle loads in above normal atmosphere air pressures.

Why a log style exhaust manifold? if spool times ( aka lag ) is crucial consideration for this project?

Exhaust gases exiting the exhaust port to one diameter pipe and then into a secondary diameter pipe which is larger will slow down the exhaust gases ???? Would of thought a equal tuned length header set and merging collects would be the optimal exhaust solution for decreasing spool times?????

Purging ? when Tig welding is essential process when weld with a Tig. Will have to say nice welds guys keep up the great work.

Cheers

The turbos are Garrett VNT's, I believe the VNT-25s from the Shelby CSX.

The VNT's are variable-geometry turbos, so it should produce some decent low-to-mid end grunt, as well.

They've been ported and clipped, as well.

As a last little bit of info, he probably won't need to upgrade to external wastegates, as the VNTs don't require wastegates :)

Just talked to fab -- our mounts are made from stainless. For the plate, we have a little trick spot in our smaller welding table that allows us to keep the shielding gas held on the other side of the plate, so oxidization doesn't occur.

I am familiar with the Garrett VNT's though I have not personally used them in a build yet. Very cool little turbos! They use the same compressor wheel as the regular Garrett T25's. Unless the compressor wheel was replaced they are a bit on the small side for the 4.6 V8 but they should be a REAL responsive street turbo! Variable vane turbos are some very cool technology! I once inquired about becoming a dealer for Aerocharger but just could not justify the price difference.

Aussieexplorer obviously I am not the OP but I can probably answer some of your questions. Chances are likely they are using SCT Advantage tuning software with an Xcal3 or other SCT flash tuning device to tune the X. SCT is arguably the best tuning platform currently available for modern Fords retaining their stock ECM. If I remember correctly the 06+ Explorers use the slot (card) style MAFS so depending on how much boost is going to be ran you can either throw the stock meter in a larger housing and gain metering range while losing resolution, or go with an aftermarket one such as the SCT BA-5000 or PMAS HPX meter. I recommend the latter. Then just go with a set of used 03-04 Cobra 39lb/hr injectors and run either a KB Boost-a-pump (band-aid) or upgrade to a larger fuel pump (the right way). That will support 400rwhp quite nicely in an Explorer. The log manifold is quite a bit easier to fabricate than an equal length type. There is no real need to go through the extra effort to do an equal length header for the turbos considering that they will spool fast as all hell being VNT and on the smaller side. It would be different if their customer were shooting for some insane horsepower goal.

Nice work, possible to come by and check it out in person?? Ever done anything to a 4.sl0w OHV?

Nice work, possible to come by and check it out in person?? Ever done anything to a 4.sl0w OHV?

You're more than welcome to come through the shop for a tour! Just give the office a ring at 815-230-2900, talk to Marilynn, tell her where you saw us and wanted to check out what we do.

We're actually friendly people :)

Haven't modded a 4.0 OHV, at least not since I've been here.

I am familiar with the Garrett VNT's though I have not personally used them in a build yet. Very cool little turbos! They use the same compressor wheel as the regular Garrett T25's. Unless the compressor wheel was replaced they are a bit on the small side for the 4.6 V8 but they should be a REAL responsive street turbo! Variable vane turbos are some very cool technology! I once inquired about becoming a dealer for Aerocharger but just could not justify the price difference.

Aussieexplorer obviously I am not the OP but I can probably answer some of your questions. Chances are likely they are using SCT Advantage tuning software with an Xcal3 or other SCT flash tuning device to tune the X. SCT is arguably the best tuning platform currently available for modern Fords retaining their stock ECM. If I remember correctly the 06+ Explorers use the slot (card) style MAFS so depending on how much boost is going to be ran you can either throw the stock meter in a larger housing and gain metering range while losing resolution, or go with an aftermarket one such as the SCT BA-5000 or PMAS HPX meter. I recommend the latter. Then just go with a set of used 03-04 Cobra 39lb/hr injectors and run either a KB Boost-a-pump (band-aid) or upgrade to a larger fuel pump (the right way). That will support 400rwhp quite nicely in an Explorer. The log manifold is quite a bit easier to fabricate than an equal length type. There is no real need to go through the extra effort to do an equal length header for the turbos considering that they will spool fast as all hell being VNT and on the smaller side. It would be different if their customer were shooting for some insane horsepower goal.

You beat me to it! haha

Wooooooooooo 400 RWHp ........................ what tuning Software/Hardware do you guys use ? to accommodate the right air/fuel ratio and timing condition for the varying throttle loads in above normal atmosphere air pressures.

Why a log style exhaust manifold? if spool times ( aka lag ) is crucial consideration for this project?

Exhaust gases exiting the exhaust port to one diameter pipe and then into a secondary diameter pipe which is larger will slow down the exhaust gases ???? Would of thought a equal tuned length header set and merging collects would be the optimal exhaust solution for decreasing spool times?????

Purging ? when Tig welding is essential process when weld with a Tig. Will have to say nice welds guys keep up the great work.

Cheers

I'll have to get back to you on software.

Log style, thanks to the quick spooling characteristics of the VNT, will still produce good boost at low levels. It's also insanely easier to fabricate, cutting down on both overall cost and time spent at the shop.

If these were normal turbos, we'd almost have to suggest equal length.

And purging is technically necessary in almost all our tig work, as we need smoothness on both sides of the pipe (aesthetics and function).

Pipes are heading to Swain Tech for thermal coating as we speak! Fluid Motor Union is approaching the end! 3 week lead time on the coating though :(
wed_weld1.jpg

wed_weld2.jpg

Wow!!!

If not coating them was an option and they would stay looking like that, I wouldn't coat them!!!

They are 304 SS from what I remember in the earlier photos. They should stay like that no issue. My guess is the thermal coating to keep temperature in thepipes for better turbo efficiency and lower under hood temps.

Looking good!

I want those.....

Why don't you patent them and mass produce them for 4.6L 3V engines?!

That is ART!

Wow!!!

If not coating them was an option and they would stay looking like that, I wouldn't coat them!!!

Hahaha. You'd be surprised how often we hear that. We take a lot of pride in our work, and it's good to see it's being noticed :D

They are 304 SS from what I remember in the earlier photos. They should stay like that no issue. My guess is the thermal coating to keep temperature in thepipes for better turbo efficiency and lower under hood temps.

Looking good!

They are 304, yes, and the coating serves the exact purpose you mentioned. No sense in taking on useless amounts of heat in the engine bay.

I want those.....

Why don't you patent them and mass produce them for 4.6L 3V engines?!

We've got some ideas in the works ;)

That is ART!

Thanks!!

I love when I stumble upon threads like this. And that welder does great work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, gentlemen (and ladies), it's update time!

After a long few weeks, we have received our piping back from Swain Tech, and wowee, they look great.

coatedpipes1.jpg

coatedpipes2.jpg

coatedpipes3.jpg

Now that everything is freshly coated with a miniscule layer of thermal barrier, it's time to put everything back into the engine bay, finish the intercooler piping and make an exhaust. That means fabrication's job is almost finished as it's time for tuning to take over. Updates are coming soon, I just wanted y'all to know that we haven't disappeared -- we were just at the mercy of the coater.

Back