and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ford Buy-Back Program

Discussion in 'Auto Industry News' started by jimcom, September 23, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jimcom

jimcom Elite Stocker Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Columbia, MD
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLS
      I got a letter yesterday from the dealership where I bought my pre-owned X last year. They are saying that due to special manufacturer requirements they need to buy back several Explorer XLS's by Sept. 27th. So they want me to trade in my X for any new 2004/2005 vehicle. It struck me as odd that they listed my vehicle specifically, not just a generic term like "late-model fords".
      I am wondering if any of you guys have ever heard or seen anything like this?
      Is it legit? I mean does FORD actually require dealerships to buy-back certain vehicles or is it just a ploy by the dealership to get me to buy something more expensive? I highly doubt that my 2000 base model XLS is in that high demand.
      Thanks for any input you fellas might have.

Oh yeah, I did a search and saw something a guy posted back in April that sounded similar, which is what got me thinking that this might just be a ploy.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

Year and Model:
      1999 XLT
      Its simply a sales ploy.

4. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Itasca IL
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT 4.0L OHV
      My wife gets these all the time for her '01 Escape. Just for fun, we went to the dealership where we're known (and loved - believe it or not) to get the low down. Most likely, you won't even be offered KBB trade-in value for your truck (we weren't). It's just something to entice you onto the sales floor. They're hoping you will be dazzled by a new X and do anything to get one. Fortunately for me, my wife is a CPA and can expose a slimy salesman and his bag of slimy tricks. She usually has the money figured out before the salesman can punch it into his calculator.

Unless you're in the market, don't waste your time.

5. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      Bronco638 is on the money... Its just a way of getting you into the dealership...

6. jimcom

jimcom Elite Stocker Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Columbia, MD
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLS
      Ok, thanks guys. I'm not in the market but it peaked my interest since my extended warantee is about to run out and it's always nice to have something with less miles than more. I'm so upside down on my loan anyway that i'd probably have to pay out the rear to get a new X so I'll just stick with my old one.
      These dealerships will use anything to get you in there huh?
      I'm kinda suprised that FORD as a manufacturer would be alright with this type of practice. Seems kinda sleezy.

7. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      I personally love the letters with the fake checks saying get 10,000 off of any new car... Of course in fine print before the $10K is 2 little words that blow the deal "Up to".

8. EBInterceptor

EBInterceptor Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ada, MI
      Year and Model:
      '98 Sport
      I believe we've received several of those too. My mom is actually thinking about trading her 2002 in for a 2004/5. Those '02s are terrible, hers is a lemon I swear.