Ford Buy-Back Program

jimcom

Elite Stocker
Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I got a letter yesterday from the dealership where I bought my pre-owned X last year. They are saying that due to special manufacturer requirements they need to buy back several Explorer XLS's by Sept. 27th. So they want me to trade in my X for any new 2004/2005 vehicle. It struck me as odd that they listed my vehicle specifically, not just a generic term like "late-model fords".
I am wondering if any of you guys have ever heard or seen anything like this?
Is it legit? I mean does FORD actually require dealerships to buy-back certain vehicles or is it just a ploy by the dealership to get me to buy something more expensive? I highly doubt that my 2000 base model XLS is in that high demand.
Thanks for any input you fellas might have.

Oh yeah, I did a search and saw something a guy posted back in April that sounded similar, which is what got me thinking that this might just be a ploy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife gets these all the time for her '01 Escape. Just for fun, we went to the dealership where we're known (and loved - believe it or not) to get the low down. Most likely, you won't even be offered KBB trade-in value for your truck (we weren't). It's just something to entice you onto the sales floor. They're hoping you will be dazzled by a new X and do anything to get one. Fortunately for me, my wife is a CPA and can expose a slimy salesman and his bag of slimy tricks. She usually has the money figured out before the salesman can punch it into his calculator.

Unless you're in the market, don't waste your time.

Bronco638 is on the money... Its just a way of getting you into the dealership...

Ok, thanks guys. I'm not in the market but it peaked my interest since my extended warantee is about to run out and it's always nice to have something with less miles than more. I'm so upside down on my loan anyway that i'd probably have to pay out the rear to get a new X so I'll just stick with my old one.
These dealerships will use anything to get you in there huh?
I'm kinda suprised that FORD as a manufacturer would be alright with this type of practice. Seems kinda sleezy.

I personally love the letters with the fake checks saying get 10,000 off of any new car... Of course in fine print before the $10K is 2 little words that blow the deal "Up to".

I believe we've received several of those too. My mom is actually thinking about trading her 2002 in for a 2004/5. Those '02s are terrible, hers is a lemon I swear.

Back