Gas modified by Acetone results | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas modified by Acetone results

Brian_B said:
Ok...I missed it somewhere in the old thread, but how are you guys keeping this stuff in your vehicles and not ruining things? A small leak or spill and you just blew some bucks.
4oz Nalgene HDPE bottle w/squirt top. I've had a full one on the shelf for 4 months, no deformation. One in the truck and your good for 20-40 gal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate the reply, but....I have no clue what you just said, other than the 4 oz part. I need to go search the net. LOL

Look like this, but different top?

0603510.jpg

Yep

The top is front center.

Attachments

• 402139Lrg.jpg
    402139Lrg.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 561

Gotcha. Thanks. :)

Am I the only one recording GPS moving averages??

Hey Albino, have you been keeping continuous mileage records, every tank? That would be the best evidence. Regards,

CDW6212R said:
Hey Albino, have you been keeping continuous mileage records, every tank? That would be the best evidence. Regards,
Yes I have, however,,,,,,,once summer finally arrived I have done a lot of towing the boat and running the AC so my results for the last 2 months are skewed.

The AC seems to cost 1-2 mpg :rolleyes: and a 3800lb boat is even worse :eek:

I'll post them tomorrow if you want. I should have recorded ambient temp too :rolleyes: Can you think of any other data parameters that should be recorded?

Albino 94LTD said:
4oz Nalgene HDPE bottle w/squirt top. I've had a full one on the shelf for 4 months, no deformation. One in the truck and your good for 20-40 gal
I took an empty nail polish remover bottle from my wife (8 oz) and marked it in 2 oz increments. the tapered top fits in the filler neck really well.

:confused:
762mm said:
I still believe that if there were only benefits with no side-effects to using acetone in gas, it would be common knowledge to use it in every vehicle every time a person would fill up - we're not the chosen ones here...
What do you mean we're not ?? :( :p :D

Where do you get acetone and is there a particular brand name that everyone gets?

I just carry a smaller container of acetone in the back, I think it's a liter, and use a graduated syringe (sp) that goes up to 2 ounces, And it has a 4" tube at the end of it that makes it perfect to suck the acetone out of the container, and then into the tank.

awesome, thanks for the quick response!

I'm chiming in late here, but I'm thinking that after reading the results, and especially the boost that most of you running the acetone are getting after the 3rd tank or so, that it is more the CLEANING effects of the acetone (making the fuel system ultra clean) than any additive result boosting mileage.

I might also suggest that some of your results might be from a sub-conscious effort to boost mileage after the trial to sort of prove to yourself that the acetone is actually doing something... I'm not trying to be mean-spirited here, but acetone is more an industrial solvent than a fuel that can increase mileage. Cleaning the fuel system is a good thing, and I would expect the mileage increases that many of you are seeing is mostly from the increased efficiency of a clean system rather than some magic formula from adding the additional chemical.

I've seen similar boosts from ruining a Mororvac cleaning on an engine... but only until it starts getting gummed up again, hence the longer-lived results from the acetone additions -- keeping the system clean all the time will help all the time.

All in all, if it adds mileage and doesn't cost so much that it detracts from the overall value of the tank of gas, then what the heck... use it, I guess, but for me, I fear fuel system degradation from the powerful solvents in the acetone, which will eat hoses and plastic parts on contact sometimes...

Albino 94LTD said:
Pushing a gen 1 at highway speeds (70+) will lower your mpg due to the aerodynamics of our shoe box shape.

I get my best mileage at 70 to 75 MPH :) :thumbsup:

glfredrick said:
I'm chiming in late here, but I'm thinking that after reading the results, and especially the boost that most of you running the acetone are getting after the 3rd tank or so, that it is more the CLEANING effects of the acetone (making the fuel system ultra clean) than any additive result boosting mileage.

I might also suggest that some of your results might be from a sub-conscious effort to boost mileage after the trial to sort of prove to yourself that the acetone is actually doing something... I'm not trying to be mean-spirited here, but acetone is more an industrial solvent than a fuel that can increase mileage. Cleaning the fuel system is a good thing, and I would expect the mileage increases that many of you are seeing is mostly from the increased efficiency of a clean system rather than some magic formula from adding the additional chemical.

I've seen similar boosts from ruining a Mororvac cleaning on an engine... but only until it starts getting gummed up again, hence the longer-lived results from the acetone additions -- keeping the system clean all the time will help all the time.

All in all, if it adds mileage and doesn't cost so much that it detracts from the overall value of the tank of gas, then what the heck... use it, I guess, but for me, I fear fuel system degradation from the powerful solvents in the acetone, which will eat hoses and plastic parts on contact sometimes...

Yea, I'm thinking this is a psycological thing. I just did 200 miles in the past day with 2oz in the tank and it did nothing.

I, too am begining to feel this way about acetone. My last couple tanks have been 10-13mpg, a signifigant drop from my former high of consistant 18-20mpg city/highway mix. At least my fuel system is squeaky clean ;) .

Has anyone actually experimented with the alleged 'easier vaporization' properties of adding acetone to gasoline and found any signifigant improvements? I was thinking like two samples of gasoline, one with acetone, and one without and we could possibly determine which one would evaporate faster (had reduced surface tension/intermolecular forces). I dunno, I'm just not totally convinced of the original source's claims that acetone will help gasoline vaporize easier in our engines and chemically behave more like propane.

Hey lets just say that I actually went back to 90 w/ethonal just to save
10 cents when gas was peaking on account of Katrina, usually it's just
a saving of 5 cents a gallon but it was 10 and I was completely out so..
anyway I sort of regret it but it seems my mileage went back down a little
and it doesn't run as uber smooth as it did with the 87 and acetone. My
X runs really pretty nice for a 97 anyway but it sounds near pristine condition with the acetone and the gas gauge stays perkier longer so as
far as (right now) I'm still sold on the acetone,, next tank...

I also wanted to say that I don't baby the X very much either, I do my
fair share of stomping on it regardless so I can hear the growl so there
isn't any of this "subconcious old lady driving" while trying the acetone
for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

glfredrick said:

You TOTALLY missed the point of adding Acetone. You also apparently did NOT read How Acetone REALLY EFFECTS the Fuel Atomization process. Here is

How it Works

How it Works

Acetone
A colorless, volatile liquid with a sweet odor. It is considered the least toxic solvent in industry. It can occur naturally. It is used in the production of lubricating oils, chloroform, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, paints, varnishes and lacquers. If present in water, it is more likely to volatilize or biodegrade before bioaccumulating or adsorbing to sediments. Acetone will also readily volatilize and biodegrade in soil. It is also a common laboratory contaminant, so its presence in a sample does not always indicate its presence in the environment. Synonyms - Dimethylketone and 2-propanone.
-- Environmental Terms Glossary
(U.S. Military)

Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.

Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes. Similarly with gasoline.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

That excess fuel was formerly wasted past the rings or sent out the tailpipe but when mixed with acetone it gets burned, though the engine still thinks it is running straight gas.

Additive: changes the specifications of the base it is added to

Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE. The degree of improved mileage depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. You might gain 15 to 35-percent better economy from the use of acetone. Sometimes even more.

Back