Speed Kills - Gas Mileage.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed Kills - Gas Mileage....

Originally posted by Robert
driving with my check gage light on a little longer than I preferred.

LOL
Been there, Done that, Don't wanna do it again, LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That could very well be it, but should I take sucha big hit because of them?

Originally posted by Yomie

Sideswipe, don't you have them heavy rims too? My mileage is crappy too about 270 miles to a tank, i have the small tank (sport) 17.5 gal, it tends to average out to around 16 mpg on trips

400 miles is with regular driving. if i have to take a long trip and do a lot of highway driving, i use the daytona.
400 isn't amazing. i wish it was better. maybe the gear ratio and transmission have a lot to do with it.
i have 3.27 gears and a 5 speed manual transmission.

I wouldn't think so, it also depends on how you drive and how much weight you carry along with you (subs, boxes) stuff like that, i mean if you went a week 'babying' the truck hardly using the pedal i guarantee your mileage would go up, but i can't drive like that, every once in a while i need to get somewhere, ya know what i mean!

Are there alot of hills/mountains in the area that you are in? if so that could be another thing to think about, theres a bunch of lil stuff that goes into play when you talk about gas mileage

This is true. 55 MPH is supposedly the most effieceint speed to drive at...RPM's are low, wind resistance isn't bad, etc. also other things that could have varied that figure you got was wind (big headwind would use more gas) and the style of driving (acceling fast verses slow/

As for miles per tank......i have 110,000 on my truck, run larger then stock tires, and do both city and highway combined. I usually get 400 miles per tank. i usually put 21. gallons in at each fillup and i run Amoco premium. i don't have a light foot either. when I offroad for a day, the tank i use for that will normally get 350 miles per tank. The best I have had was 440 miles per tank. The SOHC engine should do even a little better them my oHV engine...or at least thats what they say.

If you want info of mods and other stuff i have done to acheive this milage let me know.....

I'm lucky if I get 18-19... Average about 17, even babying it. The 4dr, 4x4, 3.73 gearing and the OHV engine are just not conducive to stellar gas milage.

i dunno but my mpg has gone down, i only get like 300 mpg per tank on a very light foot if im lucky. any ways to improve this? i got my fuel injectors flushed recently.

Originally posted by aldive
I have a 500 mile trip today, with ME driving, will report the mileage tonight.

The results are in ..... On this trip, average speed ( via GPS _ was 64.8 MPH and the gas mileage was 23.8 MPG.

I am sorta pleased; I really want 28 MPG.

I've only went on one trip so far and with the cruise set on 75mph, I got 19.5 as the best mpg. I usually get only 17 in town, and overall average about 17.5 - 18. I have the 302 with stock 29" tires and 3.73 gears. With only 14,000 miles, it probably isn't broke in yet.

TPlynch..i have the same setup you have, and used to get that milage before mods. i think your truck is getting good milage if it is stock.

Im getting a little under 15mpg for all city driving with my SOHC and auto tranny. We are going on a trip to oklahoma this weekend so i will report highway mileage when i get back. Also I'm going to run some injector cleaner through it because i think it really needs it.

Originally posted by 95XLT
This is true. 55 MPH is supposedly the most effieceint speed to drive at...RPM's are low, wind resistance isn't bad, etc. also other things that could have varied that figure you got was wind (big headwind would use more gas) and the style of driving (acceling fast verses slow/

Haha...my '96 got 22 mpg when there was a strong tail wind on the highway travelling about 80 mph. I was so happy!! I got about 300 miles before I filled up, the gas gauge shows there's still a quarter of a tank left...which means I can go another 40 miles maybe?? Without wind and driving in the city, I only get about 12 mpg. Yes, it sucks but that's what I'll get when I have large tires (255/70R-16) and an occasional lead foot. But it's a V6 for god sakes!!!! So my truck's gas mileage is around 17 mpg combined (60% highway/40% city).

Al, be happy with the gas mileage you have. If you really want great mileage and still driving an SUV like the Explorer, I recommand you to get the Acura MDX, it gets an EPA rating 24 mpg on the highway, compares to 19 on the Explorer. You're very fortunate to get such an impressive fuel economy. Some of us get have pretty horrible gas mileage, me included. So leave it be, please.

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer Al, be happy with the gas mileage you have. If you really want great mileage and still driving an SUV like the Explorer,

Thanks for the advise.

However, I shall never cease my quest for better mileage, sorry, I don't know the word quit and I know i can get more.

Originally posted by RTStork
I've only went on one trip so far and with the cruise set on 75mph, I got 19.5 as the best mpg. I usually get only 17 in town, and overall average about 17.5 - 18. I have the 302 with stock 29" tires and 3.73 gears. With only 14,000 miles, it probably isn't broke in yet.

I think that my best was 19.5 with a '97 Mountaineer 302 4x2 before replacing the air silencer with a 4" dryer hose. Now, my best mpg is 22 & I've gotten as many as 425 miles on 1 tank on the highway before I chickened out and bought more gas. However, in town, due to my heavy foot, I still get 12-13 mpg, but I have gotten as high as 14-15 mpg when I was feeling light-footed. Unfortunately, I haven't done any real trailer pulling since the mod to tell what happens under a good load.

Back