List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Here is what we as consumers can do. We have to each of us reach out to their local dealers representatives from Ford.
Ford dealers reps may or may not be able to help us but the noise may get back to Ford.
My local body shop looked at this and said it is the design of the rubber gasket holding moisture on the paint. The aluminum is corroding and separating the paint.
Whatever is the cause Ford cannot ignore it. There are a lot of 2015 and up Aluminum bodied trucks that will also have paint problems. Has anyone heard any truck owners complaining??
For me the fix will probably be to sand the affected edge. Re prime the metal, cover with Rock Guard and re color over the rock guard. Go up the hood maybe a half inch along the edge. It wont look bad and will protect the edge from sand and pebbles on the road.
More distressing are the bottom door edges bare metal from rubbing on the plastic molding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you know if the vehicle is still under the 3 year, 36k mile factory warranty?

Peter
Car has 47k on it. Was certified by the dealer with a 12 month 12k mile warranty which doesn't look to cover this. All other things aside the car is perfect so this is a major bummer.

Car has 47k on it. Was certified by the dealer with a 12 month 12k mile warranty which doesn't look to cover this. All other things aside the car is perfect so this is a major bummer.

You like your headlights??

I would not rush out to fix this unless paint is physically missing. My 2011 has this issue under the rubber seal/gasket where there are tiny bubbles along it. It is now 5 years old with almost 96,000 miles and nothing has happened beyond that. No chipping, no flaking, nothing.

So although some have this issue and get it repainted, it just goes to show that you may not have anything go beyond what you see and you will be wasting your money.

I would not rush out to fix this unless paint is physically missing. My 2011 has this issue under the rubber seal/gasket where there are tiny bubbles along it. It is now 5 years old with almost 96,000 miles and nothing has happened beyond that. No chipping, no flaking, nothing.

So although some have this issue and get it repainted, it just goes to show that you may not have anything go beyond what you see and you will be wasting your money.

Was just at the dealer today and they have agreed to fix the hood with no money out of my pocket. They are also replacing the rear door strips with the new 2016 ones which have a soft rubber instead of the hard plastic and repainting the bottom of all doors. Very happy with the customer service!

Was just at the dealer today and they have agreed to fix the hood with no money out of my pocket. They are also replacing the rear door strips with the new 2016 ones which have a soft rubber instead of the hard plastic and repainting the bottom of all doors. Very happy with the customer service!

I bet there are a lot of folks who would like to have a dealership experience like that. Can you give us the name, location of your dealership?

Thanks!

Flaking paint on a modern $45,000 car may not bother you but is completely unacceptable to me. Sadly, "wasting my (your) money" is what happened when I bought the Explorer.

Can you point out my post that you quoted where I said that flaking paint wasn't an issue?

Please reread my reply. I said that MY vehicle has 96,000 miles and is over 5 years old. I have some small bumps like others around the gasket. MY vehicle DOES NOT have any chipping or flaking paint there I will NOT fix it since there is no issue with paint coming off.

And I said that if someone is out of warranty, I would not have it fixed unless paint started to chip or flake off. Why waste money on an issue that hasn't manifested into a cosmetic issue?

Do not quote me with a reply that has nothing to do with what I said.

Can you point out my post that you quoted where I said that flaking paint wasn't an issue?

Please reread my reply. I said that MY vehicle has 96,000 miles and is over 5 years old. I have some small bumps like others around the gasket. MY vehicle DOES NOT have any chipping or flaking paint there I will NOT fix it since there is no issue with paint coming off.

And I said that if someone is out of warranty, I would not have it fixed unless paint started to chip or flake off. Why waste money on an issue that hasn't manifested into a cosmetic issue?

Do not quote me with a reply that has nothing to do with what I said.

You are correct, I misread your post. My apologies.

Hood Paint Problem

Was there ever a TSB or "recall" about the new Explorer's hood paint? I remember seeing something, but now I can't find it. Thanks!

I don't recall seeing any TSB for 'Hood Paint' Bill.

Peter

There have been multiple TSBs on this issue. TSB 04-25-1, 06-25-15, and most recently 16-0028, which expands the problems to model years all the way up to 2016. Ford has been aware of this issue for 17 years, but has failed to correct it because it would put a dent in their profits. It's cheaper for them to just pay the handful of people that bother to pursue it in small claims.

There have been multiple TSBs on this issue. TSB 04-25-1, 06-25-15, and most recently 16-0028, which expands the problems to model years all the way up to 2016. Ford has been aware of this issue for 17 years, but has failed to correct it because it would put a dent in their profits. It's cheaper for them to just pay the handful of people that bother to pursue it in small claims.
Unable to find any info on 04-25-1. TSB 06-25-15 does apply to the 5th gen Explorer and 16-0028 just amends 06-25-15 to include 2002 - 2016 Explorers and came out roughly 3 years after my reply that you quoted here. Thanks for the info on that one and I'll add it to the list of TSB's we have.:thumbsup:

Peter

I wanted to give everyone a update. The dealership ended up calling me the next day to tell me that they were fixing the doors free of charge, but were not going to do anything for the hood anymore. I asked them to explain to me why they had originally told me the hood was covered and they replied that they have the wrong person as I guess there is two people with the same last name and type of car. Wasn't very happy with the response. Was quoted $500 for a complete repaint of the hood with no guarantee that it fixes the problem (shop did say that they have fixed a number of these and none have come back in the last 2+ years). I have opened a case with Ford Motor Company after reviewing the Ford CPO checklist. Waiting on the results of the investigation into the dealership and the Ford CPO program, but the rep stated that they would be shocked if corrosion would be a pass for body panels as part of the CPO program.

A little reminder to Ford Corporate that their are other ways of treating your customers:
"BMW is reportedly recalling over 200,000 of its SUVs for two different reasons, both of which have yet to cause any harm. Of these 200,000 SUVs, 188,668 areBMW X3s and X4s, while 21,493 are X5s and X6s. The model years for all of the SUVs are from 2011 all the way up to current models....
...The second problem lies with the universal joint of the front driveshaft for xDrive models. BMW has found that it’s possible for water and debris can make their way into the U-Joint causing failure of the front driveshaft. Again, there have been no reported incidents of this happening and BMW’s quality-control brought this issue to light. The recall will have all front driveshafts replaced for any vehicle being recalled." (Emphasis added)
BMW Found a problem before anyone outside of BMW knew it was a problem and is fixing it. Ford has a problem that they have known about for approximately 13 years yet they refuse to fix it....

The BMW dealership treats me with respect. The Ford dealership lies, denies, and does almost everything they can to deny responsibility or even the existence of a problem. To some degree this is an issue with my dealership. As evidenced with this paint issue, it comes from Ford Corporate too.

I live in the heart of Ford Country and know a LOT of people employed by Ford, none in the affected systems thankfully. I hate the way I feel but this latest issue with the Explorer has caused me to view each and every one of them with a bit of disdain- not long lasting, but "Ford" and "grrrr" and are now permanently associated in my mind.

Theres definitely a process and design issue.
Have any of you owners look at the inside door sills, right along the edge where the door sits flush against the sill?

I wash my EX weekly at a touchless wash and when the weather is nice, it will be washed twice in a week and I see scuff marks in random places within the door sill due to dirt being trapped between the weather strip and door sill and the friction from opening and closing is scratching the paint.

My EX was bought last Nov, less than 10Kmiles and looking at the inner door sill; it looks twice its age.

Solution: going to apply 3M clear wrap to mitigate further paint damage.

A little reminder to Ford Corporate that their are other ways of treating your customers:................

The BMW dealership treats me with respect. The Ford dealership lies, denies, and does almost everything they can to deny responsibility or even the existence of a problem. To some degree this is an issue with my dealership. As evidenced with this paint issue, it comes from Ford Corporate too.............
Unfortunately Ford corporate doesn't read these forums. As for dealerships, they certainly play a very important part in a buyer's opinions of the 'Corporation' itself. My dealership has been nothing but outstanding in every way in the 5+ years I've been a customer there, even going beyond what was expected at times.

Peter

Well as an update to my "in Warrantee" hood claim.... the hood has been repainted twice and it is now back again in a different place ....

I suggest there be a class action started and extended warantee instituted ....

RN

Sign me up.

My dealings with Ford customer service have turned into a frustrating nightmarish mess. To recap I first noticed the issue May 18. Took it to the dealer Monday the 23rd (scheduled). The guy at the dealer did his thing with the pics and write up. Told me it'd be a few days, understandable. The next time I spoke to him he said Ford changed the rules and he had to have the hood blasted and painted. This is where things started going off the rails.

He got back to me a few days later, might have been a week, we're now into the second week of June. Ford said no dice on replacing the hood and was trying to send me to a body shop in Frederick Md, (about and hour and a half away) no mention of a loaner or anything. I said no no no no. There has to be something better. I then got the number of the Ford rep dealing with him. I attempted to reach her via phone for a MONTH (numerous messages). Being busy with work and other obligations I didn't have time to follow up every day. Finally I got fed up and called the main 800 number and got a guy who gave me a case number. He said he'd send an email to her and her boss to get her to call me within two days (July 8th by this point). Never heard from her, shocker. July 11th, I think it was I got tired of waiting again and called back. The next guy looked and saw the submission with pics and approval for repair. He then dumped me into her voice mail. I left yet another message. She called back (YAY!!! I'm thinking its going to get fixed). She seemed clueless about the whole back and forth that had been going on. I explained my frustration and that I found it unacceptable to pay anything, especially after being left hanging this long. She apologized for the delay, blah blah blah...customer service rhetoric. I told her that another local dealer has a media blaster and was much closer. She said ok and she would run it down and call me back in a couple days. She did follow up by Wed 13th. Told me she was waiting to hear from the dealer about getting me in. I asked if I could call to help out. I was told no she HAD to do it. She would get back to me in a couple days. I asked "What's a couple days?" She said Tuesday. Tuesday!?!? That's a week not a couple days. Whatever get back to me ASAP please. Tuesday July 19th came and went.

My wife gets a call this afternoon July 22(she's been the initial contact since I sleep during the day). My wife was told ohh sorry this isn't a warrantable claim and the first she heard of this was July 11. My wife had to pull over (yes we have the bluetooth handsfree) as she was boiling at this point. After a pointed back and forth my wife was told that Ford is rejecting this claim and since we're now over 36K sorry. Not to mention we bought it July 29 '14.

Right now I am done! I have owned many Fords in my time (2 Rangers, Bronco, Probe, Focus, 3 Explorers, F250, and an F350, my wife owned an Explorer before we were married too) This will be the last Ford I will own after being treated like this. I will add that, according to my wife, today's call turned rude. The rep was talking over her and more or less called her a liar.

I hope someone from Ford is reading this because you are about to lose all future business from me and anyone I can influence.

You have options. You can work with your dealership and make your case or You can sue and win. I educated myself regarding this issue via a FACEBOOK group FORD MERCURY PEELING PAINT COMPLAINTS. I learned that the best way to address this issue is gathering the information to make an informed complaint. I had my hood repainted, no charge and with a rental no charge for 3 weeks. Wouldn't have happened without the information I learned with documents from this group. Good luck.. By the way we own 4 Fords and it's a shame how Ford is treating it's loyal customers. You should Not have to fight them when they know they sold faulty products that have been documented on TV. Make some noise!

..........I hope someone from Ford is reading this because you are about to lose all future business from me and anyone I can influence.
Unfortunately this Forum is not on Ford's top reading list. Only the FordService reps read the posts and they do not communicate with Ford as that isn't their job. Was your Explorer still under the mileage warranty when all this began? The reason I ask is because there is a TSB to cover "Aluminum Panel Corrosion".
You can find it in the 2011+ Explorer TSB thread in the "List of Useful Threads".
Note that a TSB is only carried out free of charge if the vehicle is under the factory warranty or the ESP warranty.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it was around 33K when I first got it documented in May. Since then they've pushed it off/ignored it and claimed it didn't come through until July 11. I can get past the paint issue, but what I will not tolerate is being treated like this.

A friend of mine said to check out the warranty complaint section at the FTC. So, I'm also going to check that out. I don't really want a dirty Dodge or a Government Motors vehicle but I certainly won't give Ford another dime if this isn't fixed. Thanks for the replies.

Back