Explorer Paint Quality | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Paint Quality

I purchased a 2017 Shadow black XLT got it home and found it had white primer showing in all door frames the rear lift gate and under the hood. Took it back to the dealer and they found me another 2017 Shadow black XLT just like the first so I swapped them for it got it home and the second one has primer showing in all the door frames and on the inside of the front drivers side door (so I always see it getting in). After calling and visiting the dealership numerous times they are going to take all the doors off and fix/finish the paint job. Needless to say this is quickly becoming my last ford product. The dealer has worked really hard for me, I actually feel sorry they have to be the middle man in this. I would like to meet the person who was working Quality Control at the Chicago Plant in the October 2016 time frame. I have lots of pictures from both vehicles and if I can find the time will post them for other folks to see. I hope people check their own cars or check new cars before purchasing them this seems like it is a wide spread problem.

Do you mind posting a picture of what it is you're talking about? My paint is lighter on the bottom side of the interior doors than the paint job outside, but primer isn't showing through (mine was built on June 16.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mind posting a picture of what it is you're talking about? My paint is lighter on the bottom side of the interior doors than the paint job outside, but primer isn't showing through (mine was built on June 16.)
As soon as I figure out how to use the media function I sure will bud.

As soon as I figure out how to use the media function I sure will bud.
Haha, fair enough.

To use the media that looks like a camera icon you have to be an elite explorer member. Membership is $20 a year (you can get 2 years for one around Thanksgiving, that's what I did) and it allows media uploads, avatars and a bunch more. Seeing as how you're extremely dissatisfied with your purchase, however, if you use the media that looks like a portrait you can externally link to a photo hosting site light photobucket, flickr, etc and share the picture(s) that way. :)

Haha, fair enough.

To use the media that looks like a camera icon you have to be an elite explorer member. Membership is $20 a year (you can get 2 years for one around Thanksgiving, that's what I did) and it allows media uploads, avatars and a bunch more. Seeing as how you're extremely dissatisfied with your purchase, however, if you use the media that looks like a portrait you can externally link to a photo hosting site light photobucket, flickr, etc and share the picture(s) that way. :)

Hmm, yeah, definitely worse than mine. My doors look like what most of yours do (minus the primer showing through area), but the edges of my doors are black like the outside of the vehicle.

..... I hope people check their own cars or check new cars before purchasing them this seems like it is a wide spread problem.
Hi Matt. That is quite an ironic statement since it seems you didn't check the second vehicle before taking it home.;) I'd be very surprised if anyone would check that area in your picture of the rear door. I know I never have, until just now and it is perfect. Thanks for the advice.

Peter

Hi Matt. That is quite an ironic statement since it seems you didn't check the second vehicle before taking it home.;) I'd be very surprised if anyone would check that area in your picture of the rear door. I know I never have, until just now and it is perfect. Thanks for the advice.

Peter
Don't think I'm not kicking myself for that one now. The second car is not near as bad as the first so I'm ok with fixing it.

So I have a 2016 with 47K on it. I bought it as a CPO, are paint issues still covered? It has a section about 3"x3" on the driver side rear passenger door that is all bubbly, literally like pin sized bubbles. Just noticed it today on my first detailing of it. I bought it from a dealer 2 hours away. Wonder if a local dealer will even look at it? Any help is appreciated.

Paint is not shown as a covered item in the CPO brochure.

Peter

Back