1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How much torque on intake manifold bolts ???

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by vapester, January 13, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. vapester

vapester New Member

City, State:
      Harbor City, CA
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer Sport SOHC
      ...hello, I just removed my upper and lower intake and have the O-ring gaskets ready. I was wondering if anyone knows how much i need to torque the intake and upper intake bolts to reinstall. Any help is appreciated, thanks. John

My Explorer 1998 4.0 SOHC was vibrating, like a rough idle mainly in drive with the car at a stop. I changed the motor mounts and tranny mount. It looks like hopefully this will help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      I dunno exactly but NOT much.. the surface those screws are biting on are aluminum and are very easy to strip. I would use a 1/4" socket driver to minimize the torque applied.

4. rwenzing

rwenzing Active Member

City, State:
      Michigan
      Year and Model:
      03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C
      I don't have a 98 manual but 2000 says:

13 lb-ft on the lower manifold bolts
      62 lb-in (about 5 lb-ft) on the uppers

5. vapester

vapester New Member

City, State:
      Harbor City, CA
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer Sport SOHC
      ok, i'll try that. Thanks. One thing that kinda got me wondering here is when I got the intakes off, i was vacuuming the engine up as it was very dirty, I found a small brass plug with the same star type design, about 1/4 long. Don't know when or how that fell in there. Maybe Ford really did change the cam tensioner and dropped it, i dunno, guess i'll look around again tomorrow.

6. vapester

vapester New Member

City, State:
      Harbor City, CA
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer Sport SOHC
      ....OUCH !!! I tried 5 lbs. on the uppers and snapped the first bolt !? Dam I hate when that happens. I'm gonna go back to Ford tomorrow and get another one. Actually I called Ford and they said they had a few, only to go down there and they said they ain't got any and you can only order them by the set at 7 bucks a pop. So another Ford a little bit further out has some........ahh well. I could try a hardware store like my buddy says but I have a feeling that will be a wild goose chase.

7. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      1/4" drive socket :D -- you just barely need to torque on it.

8. L4CX

L4CX Active Member

City, State:
      East Lansing, MI
      Year and Model:
      96 XLT
      Oh crap.....I put them on pretty tight. They didn't snap though.....Is that a good thing? I'm talking about the upper intake nuts, not the Studs.

9. vapester

vapester New Member

City, State:
      Harbor City, CA
      Year and Model:
      1998 Explorer Sport SOHC
      ..I did use a 1/4 " socket !!!!! ...........only it was an adapter on my 3/8 torque wrench :confused: So I reset it to 1 lb and it still felt like it was beginning to overload, so yeah, that's when I went with the itty bitty 1/4 ratchet. I left the front middle one out until I get a new one tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't over torque the lowers, everything seems fine.

10. rwenzing

rwenzing Active Member

City, State:
      Michigan
      Year and Model:
      03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C
      Torque wrenches are very nonlinear and therefore inaccurate at the low end of the range. The factory spec is given in lb-in so you can use an lb-in torque wrench in the middle part of its range.