How to: Warrior Shackle Installation (pics) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Warrior Shackle Installation (pics)

I just got done building some of my own - and they are heavy duty - and flex really well...

I also added a set of BD Suspension add-a-leaves to the spring pack. They ride nice (thin springs that still flex) and I gained around 3" total from the job.

The truck articulates very well in the rear now - and the only mod left out back besides a new cover for the diff is to replace the spring hanger plates with a new design that I'm cooking up with much less hanging down below the springs (about 3/8" total when they are done!).

Here are a couple of pics...

15014Rear_Angle_shot.jpg

And -- yes -- it works... :D :thumbsup:

15014Rock_Hill.jpg

15014Front_side_shot.jpg

15014Making_it.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Am I wrong or are the shackles just two long flat bars w/holes and a bigger bar welded between them? If thats true, why can't I just make my own and get grade 8 bolts for it? Thats almost free for me.

TA DA!!!

We have a winner...

I made mine out of 3/8" flat stock - rounded the bottom edge to match the spring eye (so it doesn't drag on rock) and drilled them to 9/16" to match the bolts on the Explorer.

I have no center spavers at all - they are free swinging - and they flex much better than the ones that have the welded center bar - the springs can work the shackles independently as the axle tilts side to side.

What looks like a center brace is actually the diff cover peeking through the shackle. I thought about welding in a round tube for a spacer, but I thought that I would test them first - and no problems.

I also increased the length of the bolts by around 1 1/2" to fit the thicker metal of the shackles. They add 2" in length over the stock pieces and give me about an inch of additional lift - and a tad more articulation, which is actually what I was after.

The bolts are metric - and difficult to find, but some place like Fastenall will have them. Let me know if you have problems - I have a local supplier. They are the metric grade 10 - which is Grade 8 or better equivalent, and I used nylock nuts to make sure they stay where I want them without overtightening everything. In a pinch, 9/16 would work - they are very close in size.

I also added a new set of BD 3000 shocks and the BD add-a-leaf. I am pleased with the ride on and off road. I replaced Rancho 9000 adjustables that were worn out. Much better. A great compromise - and from all apperences, exactly the same shock as the Rancho for half the price.

I'll try to get some close up shots of all the stuff under there this week.

First a question: What did I win? :D I know....$50 shackles for the cost of some bolts. :thumbsup:

I am just interested in leveling mine, but its the same principal. I worked and dad still works in a steel fab shop. Making them is nothing. I can even sand blast and paint them with some industrial paints. Metric bolts huh? There is a fastenal across the road from my school. Well...down the hill and across the road. :D

I think I now have a new project when I get some of my work caught up. thanks.

Brian_B said:
First a question: What did I win? :D I know....$50 shackles for the cost of some bolts. :thumbsup:

I am just interested in leveling mine, but its the same principal. I worked and dad still works in a steel fab shop. Making them is nothing. I can even sand blast and paint them with some industrial paints. Metric bolts huh? There is a fastenal across the road from my school. Well...down the hill and across the road. :D

I think I now have a new project when I get some of my work caught up. thanks.

No problem... It's just steel -- right?

Wait until you see the long arms and cross member that I'm working on... :D

So on the 91-94 X,you put on the rear shackles and lift it almost 2"....what do you do to the front?????I have heard of spring spacers,where do you get them???

86caprirs said:
So on the 91-94 X,you put on the rear shackles and lift it almost 2"....what do you do to the front?????I have heard of spring spacers,where do you get them???

The most common spring spacers used on the Rangers and Explorers are the Ford factory F 150 spring spacers. They install on the opposite sides of the axle from the factory axle (on the F150) and give about 1 1/2 - 2" lift. They go under the springs and sit on top of the Explorer factory bolts that hold down the bottom of the spring.

Do a search on this site for front spring spacers and you will get a ton of hits, and probably even some pictures of the install.

You can get the spacers from Ford or from the salvage yard.

glfredrick said:
TA DA!!!

The bolts are metric - and difficult to find, but some place like Fastenall will have them. Let me know if you have problems - I have a local supplier. They are the metric grade 10 - which is Grade 8 or better equivalent, and I used nylock nuts to make sure they stay where I want them without overtightening everything. In a pinch, 9/16 would work - they are very close in size.

I will be getting my own shakles fabricated but I would like a little more details on the hardware. Can you tell me the extact specification of the metric bolt that comes with the Kit? I have easy access to both metric and imperial hardware in my shop. If it is close to a 9/16" I am guessing about an M14x1.25x130?

Thanks

KillerB74 said:
glfredrick said:
TA DA!!!

I will be getting my own shakles fabricated but I would like a little more details on the hardware. Can you tell me the extact specification of the metric bolt that comes with the Kit? I have easy access to both metric and imperial hardware in my shop. If it is close to a 9/16" I am guessing about an M14x1.25x130?

Thanks

Truthfully, what I did was to pull the factory bolts and take an example with me to the bolt wharehouse where they matched them up. I don't know the exact metric size, but you are probably right. Due to thickness of the material I used for my shackles (3/8") I needed longer bolts, but wanted them to fit the spring bushing correctly without slop. The 9/16 would have been a tad loose (barely enough to wobble) and I did use a 9/16 drill for the shackle holes, but the metric size was perfect and I've had no problems whatsoever with the long shackles in several trips out now.

Hey, I just found this thread. I just bought some shackles from Advance Auto Parts because on of my shackles had rusted clear through. They're some Dynachrome brand which I had never heard of and they're just sort of a generic set meant to go on any vehicle with leaf springs. Should I even bother these? I wasn't worried about a lift although the shackles I got have some options and I was going to add an inch to level it out.

WAR-153 is the code for the warrior shackles. i would person use them cause they are proven to work. just my thoughts

:eek: The generic shackles will work to a point -- but don't expect them to hold up as well as the warriors or home built ones that are considerably heavier duty.

They won't automatically mess up anything and they are certainly better than rusted out stockers... If your rusted ones give out while doing some maneuver on the highway, you could kill someone -- proabably you. :eek:

Just make sure that the bolts are the proper size and that the holes are not under or over sized for the application. If they are, build your own. All it takes is some flat stock a hacksaw, file or sander, and a drill. Borrow a buddies drill press, talk to someone in high school shop, or pay someone a couple bucks to drill the holes to 9/16" for you.

Will the WAR-153 lift my truck at all? An inch or inch and a half might be nice but no more than that. I've read almost two inches; is that without AAL?

i doubt you will get 2 inches out of them....maybe an inch or a little more.

BigBadWimp said:
Will the WAR-153 lift my truck at all? An inch or inch and a half might be nice but no more than that. I've read almost two inches; is that without AAL?

1 - 1.5 is the average... and what I'd expect with your rig...

I went ahead and threw the no-name ones on for fear of the existing shackles turning to dust after hitting a pothole. I could literally break the shackle with my hands by just flaking away the rust. I just got my car inspected too, seems like something the mechanic should've noticed...

Oh and I threw on some new shocks while I was at it. Go me!

dude i did my shackles the other day... and like it looked soo good when i was done.. but like the next day it went like down an inch.. damn

ok i've been lookin around and there is no difinetive place to get the shackles...at least none mentioned here (those that are mentioned i couldn't find the shackles...) is there a warrior site? jc doesn't seem to have them...can i get some help here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah um....*rubs head* i guess i was just bein an idiot cause i did one more search and i immediatly found it.

Back