WARRIOR SHACKLE INSTALL NEED HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WARRIOR SHACKLE INSTALL NEED HELP!!

SCEXPLORER

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
I jacked up the back and took off the nuts. THe heard part is taking out the bolts. How do i take out the bolts with ease and how high do i jack it up? Also, once i take out the bolts, the spring rises up, how do i install the warrior shackles? Is there a way to pull down the spring?

-Ray

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jack it up enough to take the weight off the springs...but at the same time, dont go to hight or the springs will compress....you may have to actually back the bolt out with a socket or use a heavy mallet and pin to whack it out...make syre the truck is safely jacked up by the frame rails as well...because jacking the axle is useless in the sense that the bolts are hard to remove cause the weighr of the truck is on it...I hope I helped a lil there.
Pete

where is a good jack point on the frame? im doing this soon and want to know because FORD RECOMENDS JACKING UP THE REAR BY THE SHOCK MOUNT/SPRING PERCHES

That works, just make sure ya leave room for the leaf to move when you're installing the shackles
Pete

Shackle install

The easiest way to do it is to jack the vehicle up with a floor jack under the rear differential until the read tires are about a foot and a half off the ground. Then, place jackstands under the frame in front of the rear leaf springs. Then, slowly let the vehicle down until the frame is sitting on the jackstands. Then, continue to lower the rear differential down until you have no tension on the leaf springs. Then you will be good to go with removing and replacing the shackles. Hope this proved helpful.

Re: Shackle install

Originally posted by Brian Ward
The easiest way to do it is to jack the vehicle up with a floor jack under the rear differential until the read tires are about a foot and a half off the ground. Then, place jackstands under the frame in front of the rear leaf springs. Then, slowly let the vehicle down until the frame is sitting on the jackstands. Then, continue to lower the rear differential down until you have no tension on the leaf springs. Then you will be good to go with removing and replacing the shackles. Hope this proved helpful.

what part of the front of the leaf spring are u talking about to put the jack stands at?

Jack up the rear as high as you can. Put some jack stands right infront of the rear wheels on the frame. Then lower the jack so the truck is on the jack stands. Then....take the jack and lift up the rear diff until the weight is off the springs. Then undo the TOP bolt first. If you undo the bottom one the spring will whip back at you. Can you say ouch!!! Just take your time, and make sure your front wheels are chocked. If not your truck will enjoy the roll foward.

Shackles

Yeah, what leebo said. Thanks leebo!

easier way

take a small bottle jack, and place it in between the spring and the frame, this way you can easily adjust it to fit, 15 minute job, tops.

can you guys post pics now i am confused more than ever

Originally posted by leebo
Jack up the rear as high as you can. Put some jack stands right infront of the rear wheels on the frame. Then lower the jack so the truck is on the jack stands. Then....take the jack and lift up the rear diff until the weight is off the springs. Then undo the TOP bolt first. If you undo the bottom one the spring will whip back at you. Can you say ouch!!! Just take your time, and make sure your front wheels are chocked. If not your truck will enjoy the roll foward.

Man now i'm trying to take out the bottom bolt but the spring moves with it giving now leverage. Now what?

When i did my shackle install i put a floor jack on the frame just in front of the front end of the leaf spring (thats located in front of the rear tire) i lifted the truck till the tire was approx. 1" off the ground. i placed my factory jack ( the one that came with the truck) in-between the leaf spring and the frame/ where you are removing the bolts 1. it will take tension off the springs and 2 you will use it to spread the leaf apart to install the longer shackle do one side at a time the whole job took less that 30min. good luck

put a wrench on the other side.

Re: easier way

Originally posted by BlueDogBandit
take a small bottle jack, and place it in between the spring and the frame, this way you can easily adjust it to fit, 15 minute job, tops.

yep, thats what I did.

ok guys! Would like to thank of all you for your advice.
The reason why it took me long to take out the bottom bolt for the shackle was because the other wrench i was using was broken. I thought you could depend on craftsman. THe torsion bar was a piece of cake.

ok, i am really interested in thsi TT and shackle combo. but, am not thinking of changing my 235/75/15 bridgestones dueller cause it is fairly new. had anyone done the combo and used the stock tires? does it look funny? i am sure a new set of bfg would run close to 500 for 5 tires.

Originally posted by SCEXPLORER

ok guys! Would like to thank of all you for your advice.
The reason why it took me long to take out the bottom bolt for the shackle was because the other wrench i was using was broken. I thought you could depend on craftsman. THe torsion bar was a piece of cake.

You can depend on Craftsman when it comes tome to take that broken wrench back for a new one.

Back