Hub assembly falling apart!!!!!!!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hub assembly falling apart!!!!!!!!

I've come to the conclusion that the hub is seized to the knuckle.. (Didn't get to use bolt-out because every size wouldn't get a good grab on the bolt, I drilled the crap out of each side of the bolt... that hub is Not going to come out] so I'm just going to replace the knuckle... I'm stuck right now though because for some stupid reason I don't have the right sized socket for the lower ball joint.... either way... I'm going to have to wait for a new knuckle [from the junk yard or whatever]

It's not even so much about the seized hub... I mean.. well it is... but the knuckle is damaged too.. and I might as well replace it.... seeing I can't get the hub out anyways... [did I mention my hub is in two pieces now?]

On a side note, the cv axle is in OK condition.. I mean.. the joints are good... splines are good.. but the big round part of metal is a lil chewed up.. but nothing too bad. I feel confident that the damage on the axle is nothing to be concerned about....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just replaced mine, getting the old one off was a beeeyotch. i had to use a BFH(1lb sledge) and just smack it a bunch of times.

Knuckle is stuck to the lower ball joint.. sprayed it down with pb blaster, and hit it quite a few times.. it ain't comin off right now.. I guess I'ma grab a puller tool from the store when I get the chance...

Still need that damn knuckle though... guess that waits too.. blah..

Darf -- you need a bigger hammer B, bigger hammer.
And I call you B cauz your real name is Bronson.. Bronson Sanchez, anyways good luck.

EDIT -- oh and its not a puller, its actually a pusher, looks like a giant C-clamp doodad.

Hammer or the tool, either way... this thing is coming off one way or another..

pickle-fork

I just love the name.

otc-7266.jpg

but the name really does make you think of this:
707783465_bbc7f55823_o.jpg

For some reason... I'm just thinking:
0065577200477_500X500.jpg

That looks so delicious..

Go get a pickle fork. Was helping my neighbor do the balljoints on his F-150 a couple weeks back. He's whacking away at the knuckle with a BFH. I told him "hold on a sec, I'll go get my pickle fork so we can get this thing apart". He says "Nah, I'll just hit it a little harder". He takes one more hard whack.....................and bends the caliper bracket........:hammer:

Use the right tool for the job.....
:crazy:

woah... why was the caliper bracket still on?..... lol... every single thing is removed from this knuckle... and this knuckle will be trashed after it's replaced... either way... I'll stop by and get one... if it bends or breaks... then I guess I'm back to the puller tool... you have to keep in mind.. it's pretty cold out.. who knows... .we'll see.... Oh btw.. I ordered the knuckle.. I should have it by Monday..

This will be cake.. I can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong with this job now.......... lol..

This will be cake.. I can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong with this job now.......... lol..

Famous

Last

Words.....

:D

Yeah..... pretty much................ oh man... I'm just gonna go crazy if this goes wrong....

I still need to find out about my rear axle noise..

It's a light hollow clank noise when moving.. coming from the driver's side... almost sounds like something lightly rubbing against the dust shield.. but there's nothing wrong with anything... no rubbing..

Got the part, couldn't beat the knuckle off the lower ball joint.. I'm going to go get that puller tool and/or pickle fork..... should be a straight forward job after I get that off.... here goes nothing...

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

Got the part, couldn't beat the knuckle off the lower ball joint.. I'm going to go get that puller tool and/or pickle fork..... should be a straight forward job after I get that off.... here goes nothing...

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

make sure to have either an air-hammer, or a couple different sizes of BFH's.

I've always used a BFH on the pickle fork, and it's worked well for me. Can definately take a lot even with that, though. Especially when the fork starts hitting the knuckle, and ceases forward movement due to un-moveable hard-parts haha.

I can't get the knuckle to come off the lower, the pickle fork didn't help ****, only thing it managed to do was rip the ####ing lower ball joint rubber... so ####ing great, wtf now
and then the puller tool won't even fit properly to even to what it's supposed to

IT WILL NOT ####ING COME OFF

Babe -- chill, calm down, take a deep breath and just think things through. Try heating it with a torch for 3 or so minutes.

I don't have a torch, anyways.. I got it done.

I guess the next things on the list are a lower ball joint, driver's side... passenger side CV axle, and prolly a rear end tear down..

I can't get the knuckle to come off the lower, the pickle fork didn't help ****, only thing it managed to do was rip the ####ing lower ball joint rubber... so ####ing great, wtf now
and then the puller tool won't even fit properly to even to what it's supposed to

IT WILL NOT ####ING COME OFF

Hmmm... I seem to remember warning you about just such a problem the other night... (accent added)

[18:00] gijoecam: Now I gotcha...
[18:00] gijoecam: so AFTER you get the castle nut off it... A couple whacks with a hammer is usually all it takes. I usually leave the nut started on the joint to protect it from an errant hammer blow.
[18:02] storlied: errant?
[18:02] storlied: man... i wish i had a camera... i really wanna post the condition of this knuckle and hub.... this is ridiculous
[18:03] gijoecam: Errant... one that errs... Swing-and-a-miss that whacks the ball joint instead... A Pitman Arm puller will save you from having to whack the knuckle, but since you're trashing it, I wouldn't worry. An Air chisel works well too. Lots of guys use a pickle fork to separate them, but those tend to tear the rubber boot... if you're reusing the joint, I wouldn't recommend it

You should heed the warnings of those that have already learned the hard way. LOL!!

Glad it's apart anyways.

-Joe

Hm, I didn't even get that message about damaging the boot.... well ****...

damn yahoo..

You know.. you could always just sell the thing and get a new one.. might save you some money at this point :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why don't you sell yours? YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A JOB! gah

Back