Solved - If This Mountaineer Were A Horse I woulda Shot It Already | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved If This Mountaineer Were A Horse I woulda Shot It Already

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Sounds like the connector he tightened was the PCM. I know that at some point the alternator voltage regulation came under PCM control. Might have been as early as MY 2000. There were good reasons to do that (adjusting the voltage according to load, temperature, etc.), but it adds another layer of complexity.

nope, the one in question, and the fix, is the trans harness connector. on the firewall toward driver side a bit, big black thing with a 10 mm bolt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the older Mustangs those have two engine/trans connectors. They call them salt and pepper connectors, and they were known to have electrical issues. I think those are good solid designs, but the temperatures they experience still create problems sometimes.

Koda, no it was squealing so bad I figured if it wasn't bad it soon would be.

Turdle, you are correct. Just think about the number of heat/cool cycles that connector has been through, I can't fault the design for becoming loose after 17 years and countless heat cycles.

I guess that particular 10mm bolt is one I'll never forget to check once a year or so.

And I learned more than I ever wanted to know about this charging system.

Also, I can now get the serpentine belt off faster than most guys can ask what size socket they need.

15mm.

Uh no, I had my belt off recently doing the coolant etc.

I just got away from Rock Auto to, after about $400 of stuff. My new truck has a smell of gas I don't like, but no leak that I can find. I think replacing the charcoal canister is the thing to do, being 20 years old now. I also got new TRE's for my mail truck, which I think are original still. The Moog was great for the outers, but their inners don't come with bellows, so I got Motorcraft($40).

Back