Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

I have a 2012 Limited with the HID's. There was confusion at the dealer about enabling any type of DRL's. I live in a rural area and feel that DRL's are an added safety feature. I decided to wire my own using the fog lights as the DRL's. I changed the bulbs to LED and I am happy with the results. If anyone is interested post back and I will share how I did it. It took about an hour of labor after I got the parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2012 Limited with the HID's. There was confusion at the dealer about enabling any type of DRL's. I live in a rural area and feel that DRL's are an added safety feature. I decided to wire my own using the fog lights as the DRL's. I changed the bulbs to LED and I am happy with the results. If anyone is interested post back and I will share how I did it. It took about an hour of labor after I got the parts.

Yes Sir.. I am definatly interested .. Please let us know how you did that..

Thanks, Joe

I live in Canada and we've had drl's since the early 90's. The one major problem i see is that people forget to turn on their running lights when it gets dark or the weather is bad cause the tail lights do not turn on with the drls. Luckily ford drls don't last long so I just turn my lights on manually. Oh and I see that every day on the highway when it gets dark! In my opinion they don't do ---t

I live in Canada and we've had drl's since the early 90's. The one major problem i see is that people forget to turn on their running lights when it gets dark or the weather is bad cause the tail lights do not turn on with the drls. Luckily ford drls don't last long so I just turn my lights on manually. Oh and I see that every day on the highway when it gets dark! In my opinion they don't do ---t

Could you please explain to me what forgetting to turn on your running lights has to do with DRL's?? Maybe I'm just dumber than ---t.

Thanks, Joe

Could you please explain to me what forgetting to turn on your running lights has to do with DRL's?? Maybe I'm just dumber than ---t.

Thanks, Joe

I think what he is saying is that people with DRLs and non-auto lights forget to turn on their lights w he it gets dark becausethe dash is already lit. Seen that several times especially people with Honda Odysseys that have DRLs.

I think what he is saying is that people with DRLs and non-auto lights forget to turn on their lights w he it gets dark becausethe dash is already lit. Seen that several times especially people with Honda Odysseys that have DRLs.

Got It.. I didn't know the dash would be lit...

Thanks

Got It.. I didn't know the dash would be lit...

Thanks

It's not so much that the dash is lit, it's that the new electro-liminescent guages always look the same whether the lights are on or not. So even those without DRL's can think their lights are on.

Every vehicle I ever drove previously with DRLS and standard backlit guages, the guages were always off until the lights were turned on manually. My VW Passat with DRL's - which are the full headlights - keeps the guages off unless the lights are on.

It's not so much that the dash is lit, it's that the new electro-liminescent guages always look the same whether the lights are on or not. So even those without DRL's can think their lights are on.

Every vehicle I ever drove previously with DRLS and standard backlit guages, the guages were always off until the lights were turned on manually. My VW Passat with DRL's - which are the full headlights - keeps the guages off unless the lights are on.

OK.. I'm a little confused here.. If you have the DRL's , which will come on automatically when you put the car in Drive, will the dash lights on the Explorer be lit or not??

If you have the switch in the "Auto" position all the lights will come on when it gets dark, right??

Thanks, Joe

The dash lights will not come on with the DRL's. And yes, when it's dark and the auto lights come on, the dash will light up also.

The dash lights will not come on with the DRL's. And yes, when it's dark and the auto lights come on, the dash will light up also.

OK.. That makes sense.. If your in "AUTO" the lights will take care of themselves.. Otherwise, when it gets dark, the dash will be dark and we turn on our lights like we've always done..

Thanks, Joe

"I have a 2012 Limited with the HID's. There was confusion at the dealer about enabling any type of DRL's. I live in a rural area and feel that DRL's are an added safety feature. I decided to wire my own using the fog lights as the DRL's. I changed the bulbs to LED and I am happy with the results. If anyone is interested post back and I will share how I did it. It took about an hour of labor after I got the parts."

I'd like to know too...

I was able to get the DRLs enabled on my 2013 for $47.50. They originally wanted $97 but I told them it wouldn't take them long and gave them the instructions so I was able to negotiate it lower. Now the yellow amber parking lights are always on...I think the red led's in the back stay on but I am not sure as I haven't gotten out much with the car running.

Instructions I gave them from this forum:

1. Hookup laptop for BCM options
2. Verify VIN
3. Exterior Lighting
4. Daytime Running Lights
5. Ok to bypass warning about unauthorized changes
6. Option Daytime Running Lights - choose to enable
7. Option Daytime Running Lights - None/Parking Lamps(HID)/Headlamps(Halogen) - choose Parking Lamps

My dealer turned on mine after I asked for them. Mine are the parking lights

I just discovered the DRLs turn off when the car is in park...that is a nice feature to make you blend in more when you are waiting in a parking lot

I was able to get the DRLs enabled on my 2013 for $47.50. They originally wanted $97 but I told them it wouldn't take them long and gave them the instructions so I was able to negotiate it lower. Now the yellow amber parking lights are always on...I think the red led's in the back stay on but I am not sure as I haven't gotten out much with the car running.

Instructions I gave them from this forum:

1. Hookup laptop for BCM options
2. Verify VIN
3. Exterior Lighting
4. Daytime Running Lights
5. Ok to bypass warning about unauthorized changes
6. Option Daytime Running Lights - choose to enable
7. Option Daytime Running Lights - None/Parking Lamps(HID)/Headlamps(Halogen) - choose Parking Lamps
Only the front amber lights are activated for DRL. No lights in the rear.

Peter

Thanks for the info on enabling the DRLs. I asked my dealer to have them enabled before I purchased the car, which they happily did for no charge.

I just had my DRLs enabled and the dealer charged me nothing.

Sure! They billed you for half an hour of work when the project only took 5 minutes. The remaining time was spent on a snack break, and you don't expect them to pay for that, do you? ;-)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Daytime Running Lights

I have a new Sport that I would like to have the daytime running lights activated on. The dealer said they would (and did) activate the amber (turn signal) lights but they would not activate the headlamps--something about liability for changing the program? They then called me later and said that the headlamp option is not available. Is this the case? If not how would I best go about getting the needed permission from Ford to have the program changed so I could have true DRL.

No problem.

It's amazing how Ford is the ONLY domestic automaker that has not embraced DRLs in one way or another. Seems like every Ford I have owned has DRLs "disabled" and no possible way of getting them activated according to Ford. Yet, my Contour SVT only needed a relay to activate them, my Mercury Montego and Ford Flex just needed them to be turned on via the SJB and now the Explorer just needed the "switch" to be flipped in the body control module.

I can tell you I don't believe they will be an upgrade to ANY Ford model anytime soon as Ford does not actively tout that their vehicles come with daytime running lights. As far as reliability - reliability for what? Headlamp bulbs? Turn signal bulbs? Almost every other manufacturer offers them standard, even Ford offers them on Fleet vehicles and our EXACT same vehicle/options north of the border. If that's the case, Canadians better be pissed that they will have issues with the vehicles due to DRLs.

Either way Randy, prepare for the standard one liner from any Ford rep about this "unauthorized" modification.

P.S. Still love Ford as I'm only 31 and have owned Ford vehicles.

Back