Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

Does the procedure you outlined above apply to 2013 models? I have a new Sport that I would like to have the daytime running lights activated on. The dealer said they would (and did) activate the amber (turn signal) lights but they would not activate the headlamps--something about liability for changing the program? They then called me later and said that the headlamp option is not available. Is this the case? If not how would I best go about getting the needed permission from Ford to have the program changed so I could have true DRL.

Headlamp option is not available if you have HID (Limited). It is my understanding that Sport doesn't have HID...so I don't know why they couldn't switch it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a new Sport that I would like to have the daytime running lights activated on. The dealer said they would (and did) activate the amber (turn signal) lights but they would not activate the headlamps--something about liability for changing the program? They then called me later and said that the headlamp option is not available. Is this the case? If not how would I best go about getting the needed permission from Ford to have the program changed so I could have true DRL.
Not sure exactly they mean by "liability for changing the program". Here in Canada the DRL's are on the head lamps for the Base and XLT. All the Limiteds have the DRL on the amber lights because they all have the HID head lamps.

Peter

I have DRL and hate them lol I have to schedule a trip to the dealer to get it turned off, especially since I want aftermarket HID.

I have DRL and hate them lol I have to schedule a trip to the dealer to get it turned off, especially since I want aftermarket HID.
Not sure why you would hate them. They are only on when you are in the vehicle so you don't really see them. DRL's have been proven to save lives and greatly reduce daytime accidents.

Peter

The wife was just asking me about why she doesn't have drl's....

her audi q5 had the nice leds and guess I'm going to have to put some on her Sport :)

Going for an oil change this week. Will see if they will make the change on my Sport. Changed it to HID.

Going for an oil change this week. Will see if they will make the change on my Sport. Changed it to HID.
In Canada all the Limiteds have HID lamps and the DRL is on the amber lights. The other models without HID have them on the headlights.

Peter

Yes. I want my Sport to have it on the amber because I switched my halogens for HID.

You sure can, I did this with mine already as I put in HIR's which don't have the longest life expectancy and I would rather not have the headlights on all day. Dealership told me it was impossible, went into the back to talk to a friend that is a mechanic. We did the impossible.

Also as a side note, the dealership said they could only turn on/off the DRL's not switch the mapping and to turn them off, they wanted $135 plus tax. They told me I was paying to use a $50000 piece of equipment even though it would take longer for the computer to hook up then to switch it. I explained that I would show them how to do it with the use of their computer so they could know for future use, again they said it was impossible.

135 dollars? For a couple minutes work? Really.

JohnBoyToo: Yes, Audi does have the nicest LED DRL's!

Being over here in Germany I see them all the cars now; and yes things are def safer that way. I added LED DRL's on my current Infiniti G37 (for which Infiniti does offer as an OEM part); and plan to add them on my EX Sport when it arrives. Shoot, even Jeep is now adding them. Ford needs to get with it, haha.

135 dollars? For a couple minutes work? Really.

This is what I had a hard time swallowing considering they didn't even know how to do it. Even with me offering to "teach" them at a reduced price they told me it was impossible. So, as I said, had my friend that is a tech in the back bring his laptop home and away we went.

JohnBoyToo: Yes, Audi does have the nicest LED DRL's!

Being over here in Germany I see them all the cars now; and yes things are def safer that way. I added LED DRL's on my current Infiniti G37 (for which Infiniti does offer as an OEM part); and plan to add them on my EX Sport when it arrives. Shoot, even Jeep is now adding them. Ford needs to get with it, haha.
I've seen a few KIA and Hyundai vehicles with LED DRL's as well.

Peter

For much less money than a trip to the dealer, I added Philips DRL 4 LED lights. In my opinion they are brighter and look better than the amber lights.

93d6c028-e656-43c6-a06f-c19fb4e73fc4_zps27bafcf6.jpg

For much less money than a trip to the dealer, I added Philips DRL 4 LED lights. In my opinion they are brighter and look better than the amber lights.

@dmlns1092: Even though that looks VERY nice, that solution will not work for everyone.

On Explorer's equipped with the forward collision and adaptive cruise control the area (see photo) you covered with the lights and front bar needs to be clear of obstructions for it to function properly.

fordex.png

@dmlns1092: Even though that looks VERY nice, that solution will not work for everyone.

On Explorer's equipped with the forward collision and adaptive cruise control the area (see photo) you covered with the lights and front bar needs to be clear of obstructions for it to function properly.

fordex.png
I think it will work fine. I believe the radar unit is behind that solid black plastic part on the driver's side and not behind the open grill area. You could also go with two of the 8 LED strips and sort of have them side by side.
See page 2 of the following thread for another solution that JDraper came up with.

I recall this being a sort of a fad thing in the late 50's when people were mounting a single light in the centre of the grill. :)

Peter

dmlns1092,
How was the installation on those LED lights? I love the looks of those, I'll probably buy them if the install isn't too bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very easy and I'm no car whiz. They're literally plug and play. Once hooked up to your battery's extra connection, you feed the wires through to the opening. I was nervous about drilling the brackets, so I used heavy 3M double sided tape used for outdoor use. There is also an additional wire you hook up to your parking lights if you choose. I did not hook that wire up so they stay on when I turn on my lights.

Back