Is an Explorer a truck? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is an Explorer a truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like most things, "It depends".

Various agencies use different classifications. Those with fewer classifications (not SUV) might call it a truck. Those that only deal with where cargo goes might call it a truck. Those that consider covered or uncovered might not.

I remember seeing somewhere (EPA maybe?) that the PT Cruiser was classified as a truck.

When my kids ask me what vehicle we're taking, my answer is always either "the truck" (Mountaineer), or "the car" (Mazda3). Comes down to what's easiest to say, as long as the vehicle has the capabilities for what you need:

Mount-ain-eer = 3 syllables
Mount-y = 2 syllables
S-U-V = 3 syllables
Truck = 1 syllable

my 2 year old daughter calls it a truck. That works for me. Sides, she knows everything :rolleyes: :D

Agreed! My 3 year old says "Daddy's truck". I call it "truck" or "Mounty". I just don't like the classification of SUV, plus it wears truck plates. My friend who drives a 2500 Ram Cummins calls it "grocery gitter".

I would have to agree the new driveline just aint as strong as they use to be. But i call them trucks any thing that can tow a trailer and not drag rear bumper is a truck to me.

My uncle has a class 3 or maybe 4 hitch on his 'vette which im pretty sure has a full frame so breaks a few misconceptions. Has frame, has hitch, doesn't scwat when haullign his boat, must be a truck.... ;)

Agreed! My 3 year old says "Daddy's truck". I call it "truck" or "Mounty". I just don't like the classification of SUV, plus it wears truck plates. My friend who drives a 2500 Ram Cummins calls it "grocery gitter".

X2 my '03 x has truck plates so the state sees it as a truck but i think of it as a ranking order....

transportation - gets you somewhere
cart- has four wheels
motorized cart- (as the name states)
tractor - motorized cart with seat(s)
car- comfortable tractor with some form of roof
truck - mix or car and tractor (tractor's abilities, car's comfort)
rig - large truck
big rig - larger rig (preferably just semi's)

any objections?
(i'm open to an opinion change)

TRUCK?! Pish. I dk about you folk but I've got the best looking Station Wagon on the block.

Heh,
Unless I'm on the farm and in the shadow of Momma's F350 Dually, my 'sploder's the truck, maybe SUV if I'm feeling hypercriticial. Doesn't that old-school youtube "Owner's Manual" on the '91 refer to it as the first or original SUV, or do I just keep that in my head?

I cant load gravel in the bed with a loader or put things in it that are tall. Yes its extremely utilitarian but and we make alot more things fit than designed but I call it my wagon. My ranger is my truck. Broncos were more trucks cause of the removable top. Also i cant slide my quad in the back i have to use a trailer.

I dont say, hey I left something or other in my SUV.
I hate the way that sounds, so I just say truck.

Is it a truck? No, a Sport Trac is though. But I wouldnt ever say I left them in the "car."
Yuck!

What does the FedEx/UPS driver drive? "Oh look! The FedEX ______ just pulled up with all my parts!" What do you fill in the blank with?

I bet most people fill it in with "truck". Can you load gravel in the back of it with an end loader? No. Can you put a quad in the back of it? Maybe- but I'd bet the shelves would be in the way! ;)

I think the term "truck" can't be defined so black and white as people think. Hell, Clark Griswold called his Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon the Family Truckster.

Call it what you want. Lately I've been calling mine a truck. It's just easier to distinguish at home. I can ask my kids if they want to take dad's truck or dad's car (and usually the decision is split, but that's a whole 'nother issue).

the way i interpret car or truck is simple... is it based on a truck chassis or car chassis? explorers up to 2010 are an rbv so therefor its a truck. 2011+ is more of a crossover so cant really call it a car or truck. same with b2's. they are rbv so i say truck. the vehicles that get confusing are the bmw/porsche/vw suv's. they can either way but i say more car for them

My 97's a station wagon :(

from 1991 to 2001 the explorer had a solid rear axle, leaf sprung, as well as a full length steel frame. Based directly from the Ranger TRUCK platform

they are trucks until 2002 Gen III, these I call Mini Vans :) although the boxed frame is wicked strong, I just dont do IRS when it comes to trucks

It's still my truck, all my friends call it a truck and it's built on a Ranger frame, which is a truck too. As far as insurance is concerned, it's a wagon.

They didn't have an SUV designation in '97 here, so 'wagon' it is...technically, as far as the insurance clowns are concerned anyway.

the way i interpret car or truck is simple... is it based on a truck chassis or car chassis? explorers up to 2010 are an rbv so therefor its a truck. 2011+ is more of a crossover so cant really call it a car or truck. same with b2's. they are rbv so i say truck. the vehicles that get confusing are the bmw/porsche/vw suv's. they can either way but i say more car for them

Third gen explorers are not based on a truck chassis or are a RBV. They have a frame but it's not based on a Ranger and they have no solid axles.

Look, if it doesnt have an unsprung-sprung suspension weight ratio of 1:1 AND doesn't kill at least a dozen people in the half a mile it takes to come to a rest after it rolls over, then its not a "truck" :roll:

What about Jeep Cherokee's or Toyota FJ's? They have a unibody.

My jeep cherokee was well compared in towing and weight capacity. If ypu dont think unibodies are strong then i guess 1 ton capable sprinters are week. Commanches are unibody trucks. Volkswagen rabbit front wheel drive trucks. The frame is not the truck part the bed is. In pa if it was a truck the registration would be double for me. Can we all agree truck wagon suv or car our explorers are verycapable vehicles. Oh and ups trucks are cab and chassis trucks that is a truck bpx on the back not a hatch woth foldown seats.

Ford Explorer till 2010 was based on a truck platform (body on frame). Till 2001 they still have solid rear axle and leaf springs (like trucks).
For me the 2001 is the last year that Explorer was a truck.

After that 2010 it become an oversized car (unibody, like the other Corssovers/SUV on the market this days). And yes, unibody will deform out of alignment just by hitting a pothole in the road.

And yes, unibody will deform out of alignment just by hitting a pothole in the road.
I dont think a unibody will deform just from the usual pothole on the road. If there's any deformation, then it was probably from a crater, not a pothole - and at that point, the vehicle probably sustained other damage (suspension?).

Elcaminos are trucks they are about the size of an s10 but you can get factory with a bigblock. I love me explorer but it will never and could never replace a pickup truck. I use it for alot but a truck is alot easier. I dont have to hook up a trailer for gravel or a quad or lumber.Also nobody asks me for my explorer to help them move they want my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I call mine my truck all i've ever owned before it was cars and one horrible 99 ford windstar minivan yuck I'll never own one of those again.

Back