Is there a way to change or turndown the volume of the BLINKER??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is there a way to change or turndown the volume of the BLINKER???

Dr Plastic

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Limited FWD
GOD it is driving me NUTZZZZ!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Add Blinker Fluid?

JD:

Now THAT was bad !!!

Is there a way to change or turndown the volume of the BLINKER??? GOD it is driving me NUTZZZZ!
Not that I know off. It is what it is. I don't have a problem with it. Perhaps it is this way so that drivers won't forget to turn them off and drive for miles with the turn signal on. Some cars that I've owned in the past actually started sounding a loud chime if you drove with the signal on for a period of time.

Peter

If you can find the buzzer throw a piece of electrical tape over it, I had an old Nova that had the same issue and that did the trick.

Wonder if those flashers you use with LED's have a different sound to it? I agree, the oem one is obnoxious!

first world problems...

just dont wear your seatbelt. when the seat belt warning comes on you wont hear the blinker, problem solved.

Your Welcome.

First of all the blinkers when activated will auto turn off after driving for over a mile or so, now to lower the volume of the blinker do it the old way use hand signals and that is that !!

Funny timing- I was on a phone call today and someone asked what that loud noise was in the background!

I just recently started using Forscan and was looking for this to adjust a little bit. I did make to adjustment to blink 5 times instead of 3 - I have not found anything to reduce the sound though.

Here is a link to some frequently used codes. Use at your own risk, and within your skill level.

FORScan 2011-2018 Explorers

They are loud, but not nearly as loud as the turn signals in my Chrysler 300C.

every time I turn my blinker on I roll all the windows down, this helps the sound disperse. After 2 or 3 blinks it does really get to me so I scream at the same time, if any other driver does look over at you, just stare back:eek: o_O

I just recently started using Forscan and was looking for this to adjust a little bit. I did make to adjustment to blink 5 times instead of 3 - I have not found anything to reduce the sound though.

Here is a link to some frequently used codes. Use at your own risk, and within your skill level.

FORScan 2011-2018 Explorers
I doubt that the volume can be adjusted. I've never considered it loud or annoying. Other than the OP and the recent ones, it has never been discussed. I guess it is one way to make sure that the turn signal isn't left on under certain conditions.:D

Peter

I doubt that the volume can be adjusted. I've never considered it loud or annoying. Other than the OP and the recent ones, it has never been discussed. I guess it is one way to make sure that the turn signal isn't left on under certain conditions.:D

Peter
I appreciate the in traffic lane change signaling and with road noise it can be and is tolerable. It is at long stop lights, in slow traffic it becomes annoying. I have lived with it for 5+ years and will continue to tolerate, I was inquiring if it is possible and would make the change. It is not a reason to not purchase IMO. If not, that’s fine too.

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know if there are any laws/rules, but it sure seems like there is an opportunity for a manufacturer to figure out a way to adjust the volume of the signal depending on various factors. Basically, if the vehicle is not moving or moving very slowly (i.e. in a turn lane at a light or in heavy, stop and go traffic) perhaps the sound can be reduced or silenced and then start back up once vehicle exceeds 5-10 mph. Same goes for people that leave their signals on too long - start making the sound louder and/or start disabling other functions (such as SYNC/phone/radio) until one turns off their signal and starts paying attention again.

I can't imagine this not being able to be done at little or no cost within the software/programming.

I don't know if there are any laws/rules, but it sure seems like there is an opportunity for a manufacturer to figure out a way to adjust the volume of the signal depending on various factors. Basically, if the vehicle is not moving or moving very slowly (i.e. in a turn lane at a light or in heavy, stop and go traffic) perhaps the sound can be reduced or silenced and then start back up once vehicle exceeds 5-10 mph. Same goes for people that leave their signals on too long - start making the sound louder and/or start disabling other functions (such as SYNC/phone/radio) until one turns off their signal and starts paying attention again.

I can't imagine this not being able to be done at little or no cost within the software/programming.

My Mazda CX5 you could adjust the volume of the blinker in the settings. I always left it a the lowest volume possible.

I do like the idea of increasing the volume at higher traffic speeds to get the drivers attention (or turn it off automatically after a period of time assuming no legal issues and/or different logic for different speeds, etc). This seems like a great summer intern project...but maybe the true ‘prize’ is self-driving cars.

Jhu8: do you recall how the change was made?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jhu8: do you recall how the change was made?

It was just done through the vehicle settings. Didn't require any special hack if that's what you mean. It was a nice option.

Back