1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Jefe's 700R4 swap

Discussion in 'Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects' started by Jefe, August 30, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      I got tired of the computer deciding when my 5R55E transmission should shift, since it hadn't a clue with all the mods I've done so I decided It was time for a change. The two choices were a manual, or a 700R4 for a lower crawl ratio. I love having an auto in LA traffic (and Its grown on me wheeling) so I figured I'd be the first to put a 700R4 in a 2nd gen. :)

All my pics are here, and I'll link the important ones to the thread.

I grabbed the two Advance Adapters parts (4.0 to 700R4, 700R4 to t-case) back in Feb for a great deal, and waited for some more cash to come around to buy the 700R4. I got the 700R4 (Level II) from Bowtie Overdrives, along with their TV system, 1800 rpm stall torque converter, dip stick, and install kit.

The trans arrives:
      [​IMG]

A few weeks before I put the trans in i decided to install the TV linkage. Somewhere between '91-'94 and 2000 the throttle body linkage changed size, so I got to modify it to fit Bowtie's TV setup. I figured since was modifying anyway I mine as well upgrade and so I threw in a BBK TB.

You can see where i ground the linkage down:
      [​IMG]

On another weekend I hacked up my center console and installed the B&M Hammer shifter. It sat a little low sitting on the floor, so I welded up a sub-frame for it out of 1" sq. tube. I plan to glass the cover in with the center console so it looks factory. (anyone want to show me how to glass?)

Part way installed:
      [​IMG]

The next step was to throw in the transmission in a weekend and hope everything else went smoothly since this is still my daily driver.

Friday night (5 hrs):
      The first job was to get the control arms from the SFA out of the way, along with its bracketry:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Next, getting ready to take the t-case and transmission out:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Saturday (15 hrs):
      With help, and a very tall floor jack (or a bunch of bricks :rolleyes: ) remove t-case and transmission. Compare transmisions (AA tailshaft housing was installed previously, and the 700R4 was built with the AA output shaft):
      [​IMG]

Bolt AA adapter to engine:
      [​IMG]

Bolt adapter to torque converter and install:
      I had to grind down the three bolts in order to get them flush w/ the adapter. Not sure if AA dropped the ball or what.
      [​IMG]

Bolt up trans:
      [​IMG]

Bolt up t-case:
      [​IMG]

Connect TV linkage:
      [​IMG]

Reroute cooler lines. I used rubber for now. I plan to replace with either braided stainless or hard lines. I had ordered the Bowtie overdrives lines, but they aren't long enough to reach the drivers side tank of the stock radiator, nor are they the right fittings for the radiator.

Sunday (10 hrs):
      Wire up shifter. I brought the wires that went to the shift position switch on the 5R through the same hole as the shift cable. By rewraping the wire harness correctly, i didn't have to extend any wires, which was nice.
      Wire up torque converter harness. I got bowties harness w/ manual lockup switch, and replaced my shifter handle with one that has a switch. so now I can lock the converter up when i'm climbing in 3rd gear. It works great.

Connect shifter, fill trans and start engine w/o exhaust Y-pipe to get neighbors attention :D

Modify exhaust. I had to crush the pre-cat on the passenger side in order to get the Y-pipe to fit. The O2 sensor on that side is fine. The O2 sensor on the other side clears the adapter plate by a 1/32", so others may need to grind the adapter to get it to fit. I figured I'd then drive it to an exhaust shop and have them remake my Y-pipe to fit better. However I found out that for such a new vehicle the O2 sensors and pre-cats have to be exact stock distances down the pipe to follow guidlines so no one wanted to help me there. I even talked with the local guy for a good 30 mins coming up with crazy ideas to get it to work, like remoting the oil filter and taking the exhaust around the outside of the frame rail. I ended up just using the tube that AA suplies to extend the Y-pipe so that the cats would bolt up sqaure and clear the trans. I may get to have fun when I need to smog this thing :rolleyes:

exhaust pics:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

I know I've left out many details, so if anyone has any questions, ask away.

Last edited: September 9, 2004
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Savage Wolf

Savage Wolf Active Member

City, State:
      Mount Airy, Maryland
      Year and Model:
      '93 Sport v8 5.0
      good looking swap, y-pipe fit reminds me of my truck :D :hammer:
      should hold up better then the darn stock trannys ford curses our trucks with

4. Premier

Premier Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Utah
      Year and Model:
      96 sport
      Yay!

5. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      Year and Model:
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Very nice! Good choice. I really like the way DWDs truck drove with that tranny :thumbsup:

One suggestion. Get some of that heat shield material that has a ceramic fiber inside surrounded by foil on the outside and place it between your exhaust and your bellhousing so the TC fluid doesn't get baked.

6. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      Year and Model:
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Hopefully the extention will be as rusty as the rest by then and they won't even notice :D

Down here they stick a mirror under the truck and if the cat is there you're good to go. We supposedly have the same advanced testing CA does. I have passed every time even though my truck originally came with two cats and I now only have 1 high flow unit.

7. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      Thats what I'm hopeing for. . .I'm not too worried about it.

8. fury

fury Active Member

City, State:
      austin,tx
      Year and Model:
      99 ford explorer sport
      Great stuff. i to hope to someday do a swap like this. Might even come sooner than later as my recently rebuilt tranny started to slip in and out of nuetral today as i was driving my ex to work. and instead of getting another ford transmission and have the same problems happen might as well go with a transmission that can handle some abuse.

also jefe i was wondering if u had the advance adapters part #'s for the adapters u used to swap in the 700R4?
      and if u wouldn't mind sharing with us how much all the parts u got cost?
      just wondering.
      keep up the good work.
      thanks

9. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year and Model:
      '98 TJ Sport
      I bet they can darn near stand under your or Rick's truck during an inspection... lol

I'd love to see the look on their faces when those bad boys come in

10. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      According to AA's website:
      4.0L to 700R4: 712592
      700R4 to Ford t-case: 50-8410
      I think I got the two adapters for less than $600, but I can't remember.

11. fury

fury Active Member

City, State:
      austin,tx
      Year and Model:
      99 ford explorer sport
      thanks for the part #'s jefe.

12. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      Year and Model:
      B2 Mod
      Damn dude.........You dont know how to glass? hahahahaha

KICKS BUTT! How does it drive now?
      How much total?

13. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      I've read all about doing it. I just need a project to practice on and I'm sure I could glass like a pro. :p

I drives great. My 5R55E always short-shifted. unless i floored it it wouldn't ever go above 2500 rpm. The 700R4 like its setup now won't shift before 2500 unless I let off the gas. Arount town and on the freeway its always in the 2-3000 rpm range. Its a big change which has been hard to get used to, but if it were a manual I would be shifting right about where it wants to, so its all good :thumbsup: When I floor it it shifts about 4800 rpm. until now I didn't even know my engine could spin that fast. The 5R55E would shift long before that. The higher OD also helps, so I've gained a few mph increase (73 mph vs 70) at 2500 rpm, so hopefully my long distance gas mileage will improve.
      And with the Atlas in Low it shifts just like it was in high, whereas the 5R55E was always searching gears. At idle I crawl along at 1.1 mph according to the GPS. I got out to walk next to it and I was walking too fast. :D

The Grand total comes to about $2800 for everything.

14. jasonb

jasonb Jackstand Wheeler Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Suwanee, GA
      Year and Model:
      '99 Sport 4x4
      $2800.. that's not to shabby. i'll consider this for sure when my trans goes...

as usual.. great writeup!

15. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      One note to anyone doing this. Others had mentioned getting a TV cable from Bowtie Overdrives that was too short, and then called and were sent the right cable. I figured Bowtie would have figured it out by the time I got mine, but no. :rolleyes: Luckily I checked the cable before I started tearing everything apart. So, if your cable doesn't have a white sticker with "Ford 4.0" on it, make sure its long enough. The short one is right about 36" and the right one is near 40".

16. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      Year and Model:
      2008 XLT Ironman
      you probably will want to do something to shield the tranny from the exhaust heat...I'm redoing my exhaust soon with larger tubing and I'm going to route it further away from the pan, move the cat further back and wrap the y pipe and pre-cat piping with header wrap and then seal it with spray on high temp silicone. Right now the trans gets a little too warm for my peace of mind, sometimes approaching 200 deg in bumper to bumper traffic, even using the in-radiator cooler and a huge aftermarket one.

17. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      And for anyone wondering, the computer throws a few codes w/o the stock transmission hooked up:
      P0708 TRSACHI -Transmission Range Sensor A Circuit High Input
      P0743 TCCSCE -Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Electrical
      P0755 SSB -Shift Solenoid B
      P0760 SSC -Shift Solenoid C
      P0765 SSD -Shift Solenoid D

18. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year and Model:
      '98 TJ Sport
      I believe if you remove the solenoids from the tranny and plug them back up to the harnesses you'll get rid of a few of those codes. Thats what BonesDT is doing post his 5R >> M5 swap

19. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      But if it doesn't get rid of all the codes then whats the point?

20. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      I do want to move the Cats back, but right now the hottest I've gotten it is 180* and thats with an ambient temp of 102* so I'm not too worried. I did throw the stock heat sheild from the 5R onto the 700R4, so that may be helping enough.

21. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Quinta, Ca.
      Year and Model:
      97 SC Ranger xlt
      How do you expect compression braking to be with the 700r4 to be offroading?

22. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      While manual shifting it should be awesome :thumbsup: Even on-road + manual shifting it brakes very well. I can go from 3rd gear @ 50 mph to 1st @ 10 mph in a few hundred feet w/o using the brakes.

23. Diff Whack Daddy

Diff Whack Daddy And the Roll Over Posse! Under the Hood Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Mount Vernon, WA
      Year and Model:
      1st Gen XLT 4dr
      Callsign:
      KG7VTT
      Hey Jefe,
      Did your dust cover for the bottom of the bell housing seal everything pretty good or did you have to modify it at all. The reason I ask, is I noticed your engine to tranny mount goes all the way arround. Mine, being the prototype does not and had to have a little sheet metal added to cover the hole. However, the back end of the starter is still exposed.

24. jobunn

jobunn Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Santa Clarita, CA
      Year and Model:
      '99 Sport 4x4
      This is one swap I'd love to make at some point.

And now that you've wheeled it pretty hard how about some driving impressions on and off road. Compared to the 5r55e too.

25. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      I threw that piece-of-crap sheet metal cover away as soon as I pulled it out of the box. I know the first few kits were hard to cover because the adapter was a U shape, so I'm glad they went to a full ring. Bowtie OD sent me an aluminum cover with my trans, so I modified that and it covers everything up pretty well. The edge of the starter just peeks out, but the gear and flex plate are protected. Of course my starter mounts differently, so any pre 98 won't be as protected.

Last edited: October 20, 2004
    26. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      I love it :thumbsup:
      The low first gear wasn't as much of a difference as I expected, but it was still nice. Most of the stuff at T-haven I was locked in 1st gear and crawling at ~2500 rpm. Engine brakeing in 1st was great. Even on the steepest decents I was only lightly using the brakes to control the decent. Overall there was much more control while crawling, due to the low 1st gear and low stall torque converter.
      The one negative is that 2nd doesn't lock it in 2nd gear like the Ford trans, so a fast climb required accelerating to 2nd gear before climbing. (I was surprised by this, anybody know if this is normal for the 700R4?)
      I aslo had to get used to the large difference between 1st and 2nd. 2nd was faster than I wanted to go through the T-haven ditches, so I ended up following Stic-o (stock gearing) at 3500+ rpm in 1st which was a noisy ride.
      I found it more difficult to shift the Atlas. Seems that with the trans in N and the T-case in N the trans output shaft still spins, so you've gotta play with it to get it to sync. Never had that problem with the 5R.

T-haven also provided a good testing ground for cooling. It was in the 90's and I never had the trans go over 180 deg F while crawling or driving too from T-haven. In fact many times I was sitting at 160 deg while crawling which is better than I see at highway speeds.

Last edited: October 20, 2004