• Register Today It's free!

low charge gauge at idle

SouthernRebel

Reaction score
City, State
Conshohocken,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer EB
i have a problem with my 99 ford explorer sohc whenever i sit at a complete stop my charge gauge drops to low where i've also noticed my cluster lights dim low and also my headlights to. my alternator was checked out and is perfectly normal charge i just am stuck on this one. but when i take off the charge gauge goes back to center and all my cluster and lights are back to bright and fine. any answers???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Low voltage at idle is either a bad voltage regulator (built into the alternator) a bad battery or very corroded or just plain ugly battery cables.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!

Thank you and my battery is looking good and my battery cables look brand new and my alternator might be the trouble maker but i dont no i was told it was fine. So what about the low idle when starting up which I've realized unless its part of the SOHC engines ford has in there explorers which might be normal. I feel like when it starts up it feels like theirs not much idle unless i step on the gas and than it seems like it runs and sounds fine but idk this is my first time with Fords SOHC V6 engine so im still getting used to it.

Low voltage will cause all manner of problems with engine performance.

My answer would be the same if you were driving a 2010 corvette or 1965 F150.

Regulator or battery.

There's really nothing mysterious going on here.

We already know the alternator is falling on it's face at low rpm's...It's not dead yet but it's gonna be soon.

your parts store alternator test doesn't really say anything about the regulator except that it is putting out voltage while "unloaded".

A dead cell in the battery requires a more comprehensive test. I recommend Walmart, yes, Walmart to test the battery. They don't have "real" mechanics on duty at Walmart and so they spent a ton of money on an "idiot proof" battery tester machine. It will take about 2 hours for the machine to test the battery. The results come out on paper so the idiots can read it. Nice!

Or you can just skip to step 2.

Replace both and your down the road.

Thank you so much i hear so many rumors about vehicles and never no what or who to trust i will def get that alternator replaced soon as i can so we can keep my explorer on the road

btw would you happen to no what size alternator my 1999 ford explorer eddie bauer sohc takes im thinking its going to need a 130...

Probably the 90 but 130 is available for only $20 more.

Pulley is the same size so no belt issues.

why is the forum closed for posting

Back