MFT issues continue still after dealer visits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT issues continue still after dealer visits

ercole

Reaction score
City, State
Verona, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Hi all,

New to the board and thanks for reading my post. I received my 2011 Ex Ltd at the end of February. The truck does run and ride great after coming off my 2000 Ex XLT. But I'm experiencing some major FMT issues that many of you don't seem to be having. Truck came with v2.4. It all started with the "SD Card Fault" that incapacitated the entire instument cluster. The dealer did what dealers do and seemed to work find for about a day. Then I got the "Navigation System unavailable" message, but luckily, the instrument cluster was unaffected. With the SD Card Fault message, it's saying to insert the SD card, which of course, is already in there correctly. IM'ed with Timur on syncmyride and he suggested dealer reflash the sync module. That was this past Friday 3/25. Again, picked up vehicle and all appeared to be in working order. syncmyride shows:
Sync VersionGen2 - V2.4
Confirmed installations
BT4T-14D546-AG
BT4T-14F496-AJ
BT4T-14F496-AK
BT4T-14F497-AG
SYNC compatible software
BT4T-14F603-AG

Phone contacts and radio station presets are all as they were, not wiped out. Cruising on Sunday with my Ipod connected via the USB port and cranking some tunes. Sounds great. Then after 20 minutes, it sounds like a garbled old cassette tape being eaten by the machine. The young ones reading this won't understand what I just said! Music stops completely, the radio defaults to some AM station, and then the dreaded "SD Card Fault" message. What's going on? Unplug Ipod from USB, turn car off, come back a little later, and the NAV loads. Replug Ipod, crack some tunes, and happens again. I'm just not feeling like my dealer has a handle on any of this, making sound like I'm the only one experiencing it.

Is anyone's experience like mine, and if corrected, what action did you take?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Phone contacts and radio station presets are all as they were, not wiped out.

I'm guessing they didn't follow the procedure properly.

Literally no problems with MFT here, except a pairing issue on phone #2, which I repaired and all was good.

I'm guessing they didn't follow the procedure properly.

Literally no problems with MFT here, except a pairing issue on phone #2, which I repaired and all was good.

I agree, if they were going to go throught the trouble of re-flashing the system, you'd think they would put the latest software version in for you. I thought I read that someone had 2.7 installed at the dealer?? I also have v2.4 from the factory and have absolutley no issues with my system.

I agree, if they were going to go throught the trouble of re-flashing the system, you'd think they would put the latest software version in for you. I thought I read that someone had 2.7 installed at the dealer?? I also have v2.4 from the factory and have absolutley no issues with my system.

Thank you both for your replies. If there are any Ford technicians on this board, I would be most appreciative of the procedure you follow to update these systems. Sorry, but I'm going to my dealer and suggesting ideas to try to get this to work and I don't know why they wouldn't have re-flashed the most current update to sync. Isn't there a standard protocol to follow? When I plug in my ipod to my pc, Apple automatically checks to let me know that there is a more current version available for download. Isn't it the same in this case? The service guys are really nice, so I don't want to come across as being a d#*k about this. At what point do you suspect its an actual hardware problem, like the disk drive or USB ports?

I don't have my vehicle yet but I did sign up for syncmyride and this is what it shows for my software versions:

Sync VersionGen2 - V2.7
Confirmed installations
BT4T-14D546-AL
BT4T-14F496-AN
BT4T-14F497-AL
SYNC compatible software
BT4T-14F603-AL

Waiting to download 0 items.

They should at least install the latest for you!

Thank you both for your replies. If there are any Ford technicians on this board, I would be most appreciative of the procedure you follow to update these systems. Sorry, but I'm going to my dealer and suggesting ideas to try to get this to work and I don't know why they wouldn't have re-flashed the most current update to sync. Isn't there a standard protocol to follow? When I plug in my ipod to my pc, Apple automatically checks to let me know that there is a more current version available for download. Isn't it the same in this case? The service guys are really nice, so I don't want to come across as being a d#*k about this. At what point do you suspect its an actual hardware problem, like the disk drive or USB ports?

I'm not a ford Tech (and No, I didn't stay at a Holiday in last night...:p: ), but Ford does have a program for upgrading the Sync to the latest version at no cost. Check out this post for the message from Ford Customer service. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2687608&postcount=19

Why would they charge for updates if the updates they keep giving out is as problematic as before? I hear a lot of owners with 2.7 having issues. For all the problems people are getting, they should offer updates free forever...

Why would they charge for updates if the updates they keep giving out is as problematic as before? I hear a lot of owners with 2.7 having issues. For all the problems people are getting, they should offer updates free forever...

I agree on the free update part..but it seems like they got a case of the Microsoft flu where you have a buggy product, so you introduce a newer buggy product and charge the customer for the new "features" :rolleyes:

Microsoft's gotten away with it for years with Windows....

Hmmm...Craig said there should be NO CHARGE for upgrades or fixes while under warranty.

From a lot of reading it seems like the techs are the ones causing added problems with not knowing how to properly install the software. Some are saying it took up to 5 hours for their techs to complete upgrade from 2.4 to 2.7. Someone else said their dealer had their truck running (yes RUNNING) for over 2 hours to install the 2.7.
While others have mentioned less than 2 hours & no problems afterwards..

Back