Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Modified N/A Explorers

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by Berry8558, January 7, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. will_p

will_p New Member

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Explorer Limited
      Its got some good rumble to it but very little drone. Only at a certain rpm and only bad going up hill... but i dont have the magnaflow manifold cats on yet so it may get louder... its my wifes car so i have to be careful... may end up putting a larger resonator on it if needed. The custom y definately added sound, not much to volume but more in just a rumbling sound

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Berry8558

Berry8558 New Member

City, State:
      Fort Drum, NY
      2015 Explorer Limited
      Does anyone know if the heavy duty alternator that’s in the Explorer interceptor will work on the 3.5?

4. Alptbird

Alptbird Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Tomball tx
      2014 Explorer limited
      Callsign:
      Mav
      Yes it fits. The 3.7 is a bore out 3.5. Accessories mount basically the same.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Berry8558

Berry8558 New Member

City, State:
      Fort Drum, NY
      2015 Explorer Limited
      I had talked to the dealership and they acted like they didn’t know what they were talking about. They did say it would probably void my warranty, but I have a feeling that it won’t. I like the idea of a beefier alternator just because you can add more accessories that require power.

6. Berry8558

Berry8558 New Member

City, State:
      Fort Drum, NY
      2015 Explorer Limited
      Has anyone here done the 3rd brake light strobe to your explorers? I’m looking around, I just don’t know which one to get.

7. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Not sure about the 2015 but the alternator on my 2017 already is a 'heavy duty'.

Peter

8. Alptbird

Alptbird Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Tomball tx
      2014 Explorer limited
      Callsign:
      Mav
      I went down to my ford dealership and they had the 2014 limited alternator and the “heavy duty” from the interceptor use on hand. Side by side they are the same. The heavy duty in the limited vs the heavy duty of the interceptor is a difference of 15 amps. Which is by design cause of everything law enforcement puts in the vehicles.
      As for the warranty if it scares you enough go buy the one from ford and use a ford part. That way if some some dumb reason the regulator goes out a fries the car they can’t squalk. Ford part! Ford part! You will be fine to change it. I wouldn’t hesitate. If mine dies before I sell my ex I will probably do that if nothing else for the stereo equipment I will be putting in there.

• Like Like x 1
    9. will_p

will_p New Member

City, State:
      St. Joseph, MO
      2013 Explorer Limited
      I installed the Magnaflow Cats a couple weeks ago. Got a hold of livernois and they actually have a revised tune for high flow cats on the 3.5 N/A, so I flashed it with the tune as well. Here are some thoughts:

1st, the cats are a great design, but i was very disappointing with the quality of the construction. On the 2nd and 3rd pipe that enter into the larger main pipe, they stuck in pretty far, so I spent literally hours and hours with an air grinder and then tedious work with hand files, because the dremel wouldn't fit all the way in to remove all I could of the smaller primary pipe that was sticking in the larger collector pipe. The middle one i was able to get 100% of the restriction removed and probably 80-90% on the 3rd, which should be fine because the collector pipe is 2.25" and on pipe after the cat is 2". I also ground down the o2 bung after the cat to remove that restriction, and used drilled out spark plug non-foulers to back the o2 sensors out so they wont restrict airflow or read too rich (livernois said this was fine to do). Finally the plate that holds the Y-pipe to the rear cat had to have the bolt holes drilled out, because magnaflow put bolts in that have a piece that sticks down and contacts the plate and causes an exhaust leak. I would have complained to high heaven had I paid full price for these, but I have a dealer account at hottexhaust and was able to use their 25% off coupon on top of that. So I got the cat back and cats VERY discounted... Im not sure it I was supposed to to that, so I figured I would just keep my mouth shut and deal with it, but if I paid the insane $700+ a piece they are asking for the cats you can bet they would be making me a 2nd set...

I didn't take any pics of the install, but can give some tips. I thought that maybe I needed to remove the upper intake to get to the rear bolts so I took it off, but that was not needed. The front manifold is easy to get to from under the car and easy to take out. The rear one you need very long extensions and flex sockets and you can get all of the bolts off, but it is not for the faint of heart. But then getting the damn thing out is almost impossible, I spent hours twisting and turning it and thinking I was going to have to drop the cradle just to get it out, but finally, by some miracle, it managed to just barely squeeze out, it has to be at a perfect angle and cocked just right to come out, don't ask me how it came out, I really don't know. The magnaflow rear cat went in much easier thank God.

Got it all back together and it runs great, definite increase in power. Didn't notice much sound at first, but now its a little louder, not bad overall, but there is bad drone at certain RPMs going up hill... wife doesn't love it so I may put on another resonator on the cat back to quiet it down. All in all I'm glad I did it, as this thing feels very quick for what it is, but Im not sure it would be worth it to most considering the asking price on the cats and the difficulty of the install.