Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Mounty71's Elite Registry--'00 Mountaineer

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by mounty71, February 10, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '00 Mountaineer
      Maiden voyage to the desert was pretty much flawless. My battery tray rubs the steering fluid reservoir so I had to bend the reservoir bracket to get some clearance, and the hose for my windshield washer fluid disconnected. That's it. I drove it pretty hard all weekend, had to use 4hi for a minute to get out of a tight spot, and the front end felt amazing on the high speed stuff.

I'll try to post a couple short videos and pics when I get them from friends.

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      You might need to mute the video to keep from laughing, hearing my friends' reactions cracks me up every time.

• Like Like x 2
    4. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      Landed good

5. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      A few more.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture4.PNG

d0af15d70ca6b87860e86b8060177e26.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    6. FROADER

FROADER Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Huntington Beach, CA
      1997 XLT
    7. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      Drove this all last week to work, and then down to Pismo and back yesterday. Got the alignment probably as good as I'm going to be able to, swapped the polyurethane bushings for delrin bushings in the steering swinger, and street driving still sucks, but it's awesome in the sand! Also at some point last week my transfer case started leaking. Ran in 2wd the whole time in Pismo except for when I pulled a broken down Toyota back to camp. Once again waiting on some pics and videos from friends.

IMG_3859.JPG

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3839.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    8. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      Nice. Long travel looks so awesome

9. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      Here's a screenshot from a video a friend took in Pismo. For some reason he recorded everything in slow motion thinking he could speed it back up, which is a shame because he got some really good stuff but the sped up videos look like crap, so I've given up on trying to recover them.

Anyway, with the front end doing so awesome it's really brought to light how bad the back end is. With my shock setup I only have 3" of down travel, and the 9" of up travel I should have is hindered by my tires hitting my fenders, and that's with only 33s. I want to move up to 35s, which means doing a ton of sheet metal trimming, including the rear doors. To avoid trimming the doors some people move the axle back, which I could do but would rather not with my leaf springs because I've already relocated the shackle pivots once before, and it's just a lot of work to still have leaf springs. I really want to keep the shocks outside the frame rails and I'd also rather not stick some long shocks up into the cab and deal with having to seal everything back up around them. Keeping the back seat and a flat trunk floor is ideal, keeping the stock gas tank is imperative, and minimal modification to the frame rails is preferred.

Which leads me to the cantilever option. If i'm willing to go through all the work of building a cantilever setup with leaf springs, I may as well build it around coilovers and links, so that's what I'm seriously considering right now. I've studied every linked Explorer I can find and after looking at every viable way of doing it and all of the benefits and detriments and limitations, etc., this is what I've come up with so far. 3-link with a panhard, axle moved back 3", and a 12" cantilevered coilover. Last weekend I took a bunch of measurements of my frame, fender wells, trunk floor, and axle, and then I modeled it all in Solidworks. You can see that when flexed the wheel wells will be in the way. Also when flexed the shocks will be bottomed out before the axle hits the bump stops, so my next thing to add is a second bumpstop (rubber not hydraulic) hitting somewhere on the actual cantilever arm. This will also require a wider axle than the Bronco one I currently have, so I'll be on the lookout for an Econoline 9", which I still might need to add wheel spacers to to clear the shocks at full flex. I still need to finalize link lengths, but in Solidworks this can pull 19.5" travel with minimal trimming of the stock frame crossmembers, and has less than 1.5" lateral axle movement with the panhard bar.

The Leduc offroad swapmeet is coming up in a few weeks so I'm trying to figure out what I need before then.

pismo1.PNG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

10. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      Why the cantilever on the outside of the frame rails? Do you not have the space behind the axle inside the frame rails?

11. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      Not with the panhard bar there. But even if the panhard weren't there, clearing the floor and stock crossmembers would mean lowering the cantilever and shocks way down and losing ground clearance. I also like the idea of having the shocks outside the frame rails and closer to the wheels. And finally, I like doing things differently, and although I don't know if it will work out well, I like knowing that I tried it. I did a combination of a lot of research and a lot of crossing my fingers before and during the TTB swap, and I didn't know if it would pan out in the beginning but I lucked out with it, so I guess that's made me a little more brave with taking things on.

Then again, I might get cold feet in a month and just stay with leaf springs.

12. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
      Running a full width axle and shocks on the outside of the frame myself I can tell you there is room, as long as the axle only goes straight up and down. Which we all know ain't gonna happen. I do rub on my shocks ever so little at full articulation just to keep the aluminum shiny.;) If I were to do it again I probably would angle them back to the rear to give some more space fron the crown of the sidewall.

13. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      Yup I already am running a full width axle and the shocks outside the frame, and with my 10.50 wide tires it just barely works. But add a coil spring around that shock and taller 12.50 tires, and there will be interference.

14. bronchole

bronchole Driveway flexing! Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      1997 & 2005 Mounty
      Callsign:
      KI6MCO
      May I get a pack and go of your model? I think you may have some issues with the lever rates on the bellcrank. Besides, I'd like to play with it for my rig ;)

15. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      Ya sure, PM with your email address. Just keep in mind it's a crude mock up, and link locations are not at all in the right place, so don't judge too badly haha.

16. bronchole

bronchole Driveway flexing! Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      1997 & 2005 Mounty
      Callsign:
      KI6MCO
      Wow, I guess I never tried to PM someone on this version of the forum. I can't figure it out! Send it to daneger@hotmail.com. I won't be too critical ;) What Version SolidWorks?

17. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      2015. I just realized that I'm having the "dll: sldshellutils" issue so I can't do a Pack and Go, but I'll send you the individual files.