my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build

I flipped the driver side manifold so i can run a pipe under the bellhousing to Y with the outlet of the drivers side manifold there is where the turbo will be placed. Plan is low boost no more than 5 psi on a draw thru design with the recurculating bypass.
FORD40.jpg

i had built a temp down pipe to get the truck around during the build
ford403.jpg

runs good no leak from the manifold and today i pulled a garret T3 out of the wrecking yard for a few bucks
GARRETTT3.jpg

I have some digital photos for better quality ill download those when i get a chance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ahhh came across a first gen explorer in the jy might have been second gen but it had the ohv 4.0 and luckily i already relocated my battery so i yanked the k&n cold air intake and maf sensor assembly. fixed my idle problem still studders a tad bit under normal driving but screw it. next im getting ready to run a full 2.5 exhaust. only 19s dang o well ill drop my chrysler injectors in there. there 33#s. ill throw them in after turbo setup tho. just have to figure out what ohm they are tho so if need be i can throw a resistor in there. should b pretty decent after the exhaust. when i get my camera cord ill start taking some pics. where can i get built heads cus im leaking oil and i think coolant. and i figured while im doing head gaskets i might as well put the after market heads on

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

my truck didnt ping that hard even when i was heavy into the throttle at 15 psi. But it did rattle a little depending on load. it never pings when i have the boost turned down to 5psi and thats the plan until i get a wideband someday. My truck is stuck in open loop as i dont have the O2 sensor hooked up. The MAF is the only thing compinsating for the fuel and Im putting 21#ers in to help richen the AFR. My exhaust is also free flowing it comes off the turbo into a 2.5" pipe then expands to 3" then into 3.5" and dumps on the passenger side right below the radiator.

Heres the current progress on the truck headgaskets are almost done...
DSC00345.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

hey man, umm when you did you head gaskets did you have to adjust your timing, or did you simply remove the heads replace the gasket bolt the heads back down

just asking cause I have a coolant leak on my truck

i got lucky it was only a hg. igf you have a leak it can be a gasket or a crack you woulnt know until you dig in. i havent adjusted timing. im keeping the boost down to 5psi and leaving the controller alone. I did thropw in some bigger fuel injectors. it has a little bit of a choppy idle and not as smooth at low rpms/ low throttle conditions but its plenty of powerful on hard throttle and will spin the tires thru the first two gears easily

i got lucky it was only a hg. igf you have a leak it can be a gasket or a crack you woulnt know until you dig in. i havent adjusted timing. im keeping the boost down to 5psi and leaving the controller alone. I did thropw in some bigger fuel injectors. it has a little bit of a choppy idle and not as smooth at low rpms/ low throttle conditions but its plenty of powerful on hard throttle and will spin the tires thru the first two gears easily

the coolant leak I have doesn't seem to be head gasket, just because its running smoothly with no white smoke(burning of coolant). Im thinking its gonna be my lower intake gasket. Also do you happen to know of a good way to clean up the upper and lower intake manifold pieces

the 4.0 upper and lower actually arent restricted at all. Just check for any casting flash

im not sure what casting flash is, but when I look through the ducts of my lower intake manifold I can see alot of carbon/dirt in them, umm do you happen to know the best way to clean that out

a degreaser and a wire brush work well

still rolling down the road. The other day i did make a few changes like this one....
DSC00858.jpg

Im also possibly thinking of converting to twin turbo. I still need a FMU and wideband. I really want to ditch the 4.0 for a 12v cummins but thats going to take soem cash and time if I ever get to that.

looks nice and glad to hear its still rolling strong, have you still not gotten any horsepower numbers yet, or are you gonna wait till you get FMU and wideband?

Yes im waiting on the future when someday I can afford a wideband 02 and at least a FMU so I can bring the boost up to around 10-12. Heres a small thing I am also adding to the revised intake setup. Im building an airbox for the cone filter to pull air from the cowl area.
DSC00865.jpg

hg

i now know the trouble it is to fix ahead gasket on the 4.0. it has to be the most retarded head gasket i've ever done. i had the typical problem. my lower intake gasket leaked. apparently whoever did them before me never re-torqued them. so i figured id just do the entire head gasket setup. im also pressure washing and degreasing the heads, intake manifolds and everything else i can while its apart. im also relapping the valves. and im going to apply some silicone around the water jackets on the lower intake gasket there for i dont have any more problems. your not running a inter cooler on your turbo are you. also are you running a restrictor in the oil line running to your turbo. the turbo you have is prone to hot boost without an intercooler. thats why when chrysler used them they intercooled them and put slightly larger injectors raising the horsepower of the 2.2 from 135 to 175. just some food for thought. i like the cowl setup thats actually pretty smart. hell i didnt even think of it. good progress and the setup seems to be coming along very well. you everthink about swapping the stock exhaust manifolds for the headers. also what did you use for the turbo flange and what size pipe fit up to it

the chyslers turbo I (non-intercooled)to turbo II (intercooled)increased output was not just adding an intercooler in the mix. At 5 psi not having an intercooler is not as big of a deal as having no intercooler at 10psi. The intercooler was added as the turbododges were increased in the late 80s for the turbo II setups to 12 psi and that is why they got an intercooler and bigger injectors along with a different intake manifold. Also power jump from 146/168ftlbs to 175/175ftlbs. They also changed out the turbo to the mitsubishi Te04h in 88 on most applications. If i increase the boost level some kind of intercooling would be needed. Im not useing a restrictor in my oil ine I didnt need to. As for the mnifolds I don't see any reason to waste needless money on headers where the oem manifolds do the job. I could probally spend alot of tiem building headers to increase flow however the gain will be small. Also cast iron retains heat better than steel keeping the exhaust gases hotter. Heat=energy. Im not going to do too much more on this setup as i need to get busy on my other turbo project and get it done.

Oh and HGs on a 4.0 are a piece of cake. Not Hgs on a ohc V8 now thats a b@@@@

heads

neone got a spare drivers side head for a 93 lol mines cracked. also have to drill out the exhaust bolts yay. drilling em out and tapping em for 3/8. any new progress onthe turbo build

Im working on fuel enrichment so I can turbn the boost up. Ive been practicing TIG welding so i can get my new intake setup welded up. I still need a wideband but funds are tight. Last weekend I installed a muffler now its nice and silent sleeper like...much better than an open DP. ALso reinstalling the coolant overflow, changing the thermostat....and working on my other turbo car

injectors

got a question i relise our injectors are like 14.6 ohms or something i have a set of 35lb injectors id like to throw on mine for the turbo setup. problem is they are only 2.4 ohms. how would i go about installing them or where can i get injectors with the high imedence like is on my truck now

didnt you upgrade your injectors if so where did you get them. from what i understand you can use higher impedence injectors then stock but not lower. it looks like the injectors off the gm 3.8 supercharged and the injectors off the 3.0 ford turbo aparently have no clue what that came in will work well. also the lightning injectors match up nice

well i have 21lb pink tops from a 01 mustnag 4.6L. You can find 24lbers in lincoln mark 8s with the 4.6L dohc, 30lbers in the thunderbird 3.8L SC red tops. (the red tops in the explorer are 19lbers) lightnings have 42lbers green topped....all of those will be dirrectreplacment as long as they have genI and genII plugs. The genIII use a oval style connector on the harness so look out for that. I have a new thread about my dyno run in the need for speed section.

I would love to do this to my explorer. Its something i have been interested in for a while now.

so basically anything with equal to or higher impedance then the explorer will work for injectors correct. cus i have the red tops in now. cusif so i believe the injectors off the s/c buick 3.8s are 15 ohm rating. yeah i can always get em if they are the 3rd gen just have to cut the plugs. what size injectors are in the 5.4 engines

Back