My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Since I first purchased my Explorer, I have set a goal of 30 MPG.

On a trup last week from Sarasota to Atlantam about 575 milesm I achieved that goal. I made the trip on only 18 gal of gas ( Amoco regular 87 ). The trip was a no rush trip and I decided to stay UNDER 70 MPH. The trip average ( determined by GPS )m was 67,8 MPH.

The mileage for this leg of the trip was 32.1 MPG.

I anxiously await the return trup next Wednesday , not only to escape this God awful overcrowded town, as well as the COLD weatherm but alsp to see what the return mileage will be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should get about 35 MPG on the return trip.
Everyone knows you get better mileage going DOWN south than you do going UP north.

The only way I'm gonna get 30 mpg is to be towed somewhere!!! I just did a round trip to Philly (330 miles) and averaged 16.5mpg. All except about 25 miles was highway mileage at 75-80mph (I stayed with traffic). The best I have EVER done was when the truck was brand new and had no modifications to it whatsoever, and that was about 20mpg. The only comfort I can take is that we have a gas war going on in town between Wal-Mart and Sheetz, and right now I'm only paying .77/gal :D

Back from Atlanta. The return trip mileage was 580 miles on 18 gal of Amoco regulat - or 32.2 MPG.

The only difference ( other than going South this time ) was that there was no AC used at all on this leg of the trip. Also, the speed average was 71,4 MPH.

580 miles on one tank? what in the name of highschool football!! thats crazy....maybe if i had a 50 gallon tank id get that kinda mileage but not by what i have now no way no how. oh well. congrats on your gas sipper

what did u do to get that kinda milage?!! i did 55mph from LI to connecticut and the best i got was 18!!!!!

Originally posted by LiKuiD
580 miles on one tank? what in the name of highschool football!! thats crazy....maybe if i had a 50 gallon tank id get that kinda mileage but not by what i have now no way no how.

Me too. I get about 280 miles/tank, with a 19.8 gallon tank. That's just over 14 miles a gallon. :( How big is the tank in a '99, Al?

Hmmm, I guess that this is a good proof that those tree-hugging hippies have been smokin' too much of something. Granted, I've gotten at best 23 mpg on my '97 Mountaineer V8, but I guess that a "barn door" can get pretty decent mileage. So, how did you get past 30, besides taking it easy? You have to have done some exhaust work and air intake work. I never got past 19 until I replaced the air silencer on my airbox with a 4" dryer hose. Best $0.30 I ever spent.

Yes Please.

Please share with us your secret for geting 30 mpg. I've been averageing 14.9 mpg over the past year. My best has been 22. Let us in on the secret.

I got 18 once. . .back when I was stock

Now I'm lucky if I get 11 :rolleyes:

i get about 260-270 per tank (i think i have an 18 gal tank) which gives me about 14 mpg (and, yup, thats highway.) oh well, if i wanted good gas mileage, id get that little electric honda tin can :p

What in the name of highschool football? LOL

Originally posted by diablo5969

Me too. I get about 280 miles/tank, with a 19.8 gallon tank. That's just over 14 miles a gallon. :( How big is the tank in a '99, Al?

The tank is a 20 gal tank.

Originally posted by tbomb
i get about 260-270 per tank (i think i have an 18 gal tank) which gives me about 14 mpg (and, yup, thats highway.) oh well, if i wanted good gas mileage, id get that little electric honda tin can :p

I wanted good mileage and I get it in my nice bug truck. I am pleased.....

That's depressing. Same size tank, over twice the mileage :(

Originally posted by diablo5969
That's depressing. Same size tank, over twice the mileage :(

Remember guys, I am over twice your age also and that has a lot to do with driving style and subsequest mileage.

My son, age 29 drives my truck the same trip as I do and he gets at best 23 MPG on the highway.

I could settle for 23 :)

By the way, I hope you're a little more than twice my age. If you were twice my age, that'd make you 34 with a 29 year old son ;)

Originally posted by ChewieM16
what did u do to get that kinda milage?!! i did 55mph from LI to connecticut and the best i got was 18!!!!!

The following is a list of modifications that have resulted in the mileage reported on my 99 4.0 SOHC:
Mobil 1 5 w 30 synthetic motor oil
Mobil 1 ATF in auto tranny ( a complete change )
Mobil 1 in the 3.73 rear end
KKM Tru Rev intake
Custom cat back exhaust system
Remove roof rack
Many coats of Zaino polish
Tire pressure 40 psig
Explorer Express X Spec air dam
Amoco 87 octane gas
Secondary tranny filter ( don’t know if this helps )

Driving habits help also:
No race like starts
Windows up always - usually with AC on
Keep top speed at or below 70 MPH

Well now aldive, there's young, and then there's YOUNG. 34 with a 29 year old kid, that's young even for Georgia. Of course I'm assuming you were refering to double of someone a little older (I hope).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My average milage is around 13 mpg, and that is in atlanta too.

Back