My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 87 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

for stock size tires...
3.27 would give better gas milage, but then you would lose power to the wheels.
3.73 would probably be the best middle-road for gas mileage and light offroading.

but others might have a different opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.73's are better for gas mileage than 3.27's in the 1st gen. Explorers with stock tires.

The type of driving matters a bunch. If you never drive around town, than a 3.27 will be very good for flat land highway use.

For off road use, select your tires first, then the gearing to match your needs versus mileage.

there is a tag on the rear diff cover too.the ratio is upper or lower left #'s you want 3.73 or 4.10 i'de bet.

LPG Conversion

Hi I live in the UK and petrol is £1 a litre , But mine has been gas converted to LPG (liquid propane gas) which costs 50pence a litre so it makes it affordable to run , I would say I get on average of 4miles a litre and more on a run.

if you have over 50,000 miles on your truck USE 44k fuel cleaner! USE auto RX engine cleaner! and use a good oil with a good filter these 2 products will help your mpg 100 percent sure i was getting about 18 mpg then i used these cleaners and it helped a lot in power and mpg i shot up to 21 then i lighten it by about 60-80 pounds and i got about another 22 or 23 without even doing anything in my explorer and yes i drive like a grad dad

Hi I live in the UK and petrol is £1 a litre , But mine has been gas converted to LPG (liquid propane gas) which costs 50pence a litre so it makes it affordable to run , I would say I get on average of 4miles a litre and more on a run.
so fuel is half the cost but i imagine the effiency drops by 10-20% or so right.still a savings.what does the kit entail?throught the stock injectors or a new metering body?

i was getting about 18 mpg then i used these cleaners and it helped a lot in power and mpg i shot up to 21 then i lighten it by about 60-80 pounds and i got about another 22 or 23 without even doing anything in my explorer and yes i drive like a grad dad
damn i wonder what i'de get if more than one cylinder had at least 160psi and i had removed weight instead of adding 600lbs:D.

I'm with you guys with experiences from Gen 1 to 2. My '93 Explorer never gave me less than 15 mpg in the city, on the interstate, about 60 mph, I always got at least 20 mpg.

My '99 SOHC now gave me a little over 16 mpg once on a long trip. Usually 9 mpg.

Greetings!

I'm going to start with new spark plugs (yes, Motorcraft Platinums of course, as engineered by someone in Dearborn who makes a ton of money).

Get this: I just called a Ford dealership about 10 miles away, $277.61 Then i called the one in town, $134.56. That's about $140 cheaper! Yes, I specifically asked and verified afterward, SOHC, Platinum Plugs, Motorcraft, installed.

That pays easily for a new Motorcraft Spark Plug Wire set from Rockauto, $47 something.

Will have it done this week, and post update. Maybe it helps someone. I don't want to invest unnecessary funds, neither do you.

Greetings!

Replace them yourself and really save money.

Its not difficult at all.

Good luck ...

I'm with you guys with experiences from Gen 1 to 2. My '93 Explorer never gave me less than 15 mpg in the city, on the interstate, about 60 mph, I always got at least 20 mpg.

My '99 SOHC now gave me a little over 16 mpg once on a long trip. Usually 9 mpg.

Greetings!

whats your gearing in your 99? My 94 OHV gives me between 11 and 15 usually in the city, and i've maxed out 23 MPG hwy, I have 3.73's. If you have 4.10 gears, your mileage won't be as good.

Don't know, have to look it up. It's all stock (except my bikini bar), non-limited slip axle, Control-Trac.

Well, it might not be difficult for others, I'm not really a "handy" man. Don't even think I have the right tools, I would have to find out first which ones are needed (not all spark plug sockets necessarily fit).

Considering about $60 for the plugs, I rather invest the additional $70 and have the dealer backup in case something goes wrong. This actually did happen to me last year, 2 of the 8 of my other vehicle "died" a few months later. Naturally, the dealership replaced them for free.

I don't have a garage or driveway, so besides "doing it outside", I wouldn't even have light. It's usually dark by the time I get home.

So unless I find a "volunteer" (which I would tip well of course) close by, I do my contribution to Ford. Not that it will save them, it's the thought that counts. :)

Greetings!

hey,back to the forum. u guys are awesome here. tons of info. love it. anyway got rid of my 97 EB 4.0 awhile back and just got an 01 sport 2wd. I drive very conservitavely and return just over 17mpg with mixed driving. NEVER accelerate fast, top speeds of 70mph on interstate. the truck has 81k on it. should i mod it? i always turn out top mpg in my company vehicles so i really dont think its my driving style. i figure on a road trip i would return 20mpg. always use cruise too.

hey,back to the forum. u guys are awesome here. tons of info. love it. anyway got rid of my 97 EB 4.0 awhile back and just got an 01 sport 2wd. I drive very conservitavely and return just over 17mpg with mixed driving. NEVER accelerate fast, top speeds of 70mph on interstate. the truck has 81k on it. should i mod it? i always turn out top mpg in my company vehicles so i really dont think its my driving style. i figure on a road trip i would return 20mpg. always use cruise too.

It depends on what engine you have... if you have the OHV V6 you won't get as good mileage as a SOHC V6. I'm not sure about the engines offered in the 2001 Sports, but once you figure that out, you can go from there. But while you wait to mod, have a read through the thread if you haven't all ready.

Aldive, have you made a long distance trip with the HHO yet both ways? I've been trying to keep up but I'm not sure if I passed over it.

so fuel is half the cost but i imagine the effiency drops by 10-20% or so right.still a savings.what does the kit entail?throught the stock injectors or a new metering body?

damn i wonder what i'de get if more than one cylinder had at least 160psi and i had removed weight instead of adding 600lbs:D.

I dont know what your trying to say. I dont think anyone has ever added 160psi and i dont think you could add 600 pounds to an explorer i just know that i had an explorer that has 145k on it now and after cleaning out basic parts and removing weight i got better mpg. removing weight doesnt add horse power. But i use this example, If you run a 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds then you strap on 10 pounds your going to run somewhere between 5.0 and 6.0. SO reducing weight does make a big deal i think, believe me dont believe me mock me or take my advice doesnt matter to me its your money and with 160psi i guess you have the world record for explorer runs huh

Hey Al, I know you keep your windows rolled up and always use A/C... have you ever thought about ditching the AC condensor and going with an idler pulley instead? think there would be any gains to that?

here in Alaska, anyway, AC is rarely ever necessary... I've seen Napa and Carquest sell AC bypass idler pulleys, and startin to think about ditchin AC. I cruise with my windows open anyway. I would assume there is some mileage to be gained with that, no?

Hey Al, I know you keep your windows rolled up and always use A/C... have you ever thought about ditching the AC condensor and going with an idler pulley instead? think there would be any gains to that?

Your kidding, right?

No, I have never considered it and never will.

I live in Florida and use AC at least 310 days a year.

Your kidding, right?

No, I have never considered it and never will.

I live in Florida and use AC at least 310 days a year.

haha yeah... I guess that was a dumb question :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AC uses less gas than open windows, at highway speeds. Only go without AC in slow speed driving. Now then, who likes to idle in rush hour traffic with the windows down? I'll pay for the gas thank you.

Back