Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Discussion in 'Hybrids, Electric, Hydrogen, Bio-diesel, E-85, Fue' started by aldive, February 24, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Centaurus5.0

Centaurus5.0 Elite 5.0L Fiddler

Media:
      Albums:
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Yes, please.

Ford specs the 93's as 19.3 gallons. Fuel pump wouldn't displace more than 20oz.

It would be refreshing to get a straight answer.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      With the irregular shape of the tank I doubt you'd get a tight enough measurement to extrapolate to volume. There's also baffles, and the fact the truck would have to be sitting just right to be able to get it full without an air bubble.

4. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Seeing how much water will fit using an empty gallon milk jug on level ground would work for me. If he wants to rock the tank to get out bubbles when it almost full to back up his argument is fine with me even though the factory states not to "top off" when filling in the manual.

This entire 87 page thread is moot without knowing exactly (or even approximately) how much fuel the tank can hold. How can you empirically calculate a mpg otherwise?

I have filled up and run my trucks completely out of fuel in the past to gauge mpg (using non-ethanol mixed fuel) assuming (foolishly?) the capacity is 21 gallons as the factory says it is.

From the observation I shared earlier, even when topping off to maximum capacity, I don't see more than 21 gallons. there's not another 1-5 gallons left in the tank when the gauge is below "E" and the truck is sputtering on hills.

The irregularities in shape on top of the tank are for venting and expansion and not calculated for capacity.

Same with the rest of the fluid systems on cars. Put in more than designed capacity and bad things happen.

To state "all big Fords gas tanks are 22 gallon", would mean he measured all the different tanks from all the cars (including functional void space?) even though the manuals all give different numbers, even if slightly, is ignorant.

Last edited: September 19, 2017
    5. Mbrooks420

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      The thread isn't at all worthless. The tanks volume is entirely irrelevant. You would NEVER get any sort of accurate number using a tanks volume. The gas pumps readout would be at least 20 times more accurate than your guesstimate on what fractional value volume of your tank you've replaced.

6. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      [​IMG]

Okay then. It's a 21 Gallon tank.

7. Mbrooks420

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Did you run it flat empty? I'm Also sure the tanks vary more than the gas pumps do.

8. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I'll dig up my old pictures, one showing the 17 gallon 99 Sport tank, next to my 93 22 gallon tank.

I don't recall the actual words I used to describe my many big Fords that I've driven. But I put a bunch of miles on almost all of them, and basically drive every vehicle to near empty. I try to avoid filling often, it saves a little time to not fill up twice at the half way mark, versus once when about empty. So maybe some people see a big gallon number rarely when they find they went too far by accident. I basically carefully gauge how far I can go on each tank of gas, for all cars I drive, and try to get near empty before hunting a gas station.

So I'm sorry if the various manuals for each car I've owned don't all say they're 22 gallons. But they are all very very close to it. Here's my past cars list for reference;
      1972 Gran Torino, 2dr, 351C-2V, bucket seats, my first car, and my parent's only car bought new.
      1972 Ranchero
      1973 Ranchero
      1986 Crown Vic
      1985 Crown Vic
      1991 Lincoln Mark VII
      1985 Lincoln Mark VII
      1991 Explorer 4dr
      1990 Lincoln Mark VII
      1993 Explorer 4dr
      1991 Lincoln Mark VII
      1995 Crown Vic
      1995 Crown Vic
      1998 Mountaineer
      1999 Explorer 4dr
      1998 Explorer 4dr

I used to keep a log of all gas fillups and all maintenance, a little book for each in the glove box. I didn't start one for my current 98 Limited, but I will soon. I still have some of those log books, and they show my countless gas amounts, most near 20 gallons, and near 22 in every vehicle. That's my unscientific conclusion that the gas tank is closer to 22 gallons than any manual, experience.

9. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I found two pictures of the old 93 4dr tank, and my 98 Mercury tank. The steel tank is way longer, but the plastic one has more width internally, and they both hold the same amount. I'll look some more for the 99 Sport tank I bought, I also got the skid plate from a Sport, and the 93 4dr tank is a perfect fit on that short skid plate.

93-98 4dr tanks width.JPG

PICT2916.JPG

10. Centaurus5.0

Media:
      Albums:
      1996 5.0L 2wd
      Ah yes! They DO both hold the same amount (22 gallons). That fact is glaringly apparent now that I see them both side by side.:rolleyes:

:laugh:

11. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      They do both hold the same amount. I know the picture doesn't make it appear that way, but they do.