New rollover posse member announcement | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New rollover posse member announcement

Yes it is true. Someone down here has gone and done the deed. Everyone is fine, but the metal sure isn't:roll::roll:
it was an awesome end for end--so I give it a full 10 out of 10 on the scale

If you are planning on coming to the bbq tomorrow you will find out the details, until then, we are under the sheets on this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, and foremost, glad you guys are all OK. Sorry about the truck though.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

awww...no way!! glad you're ok.. but that sucks... If it were me, I'd re-shell it... but I'm a sentimental old fool... take it easy and I hope you get a decent price for it...

Si

Good to see you are well, vehicle can always be replaced! :)

Glad you and your passengers are OK, just picked this up from your signature. Those pictures look painfully familiar.

:( sorry about the mounty glad everyone was ok though

Techie,

I know you mentioned that you just need something to drive for a while and although a small car would be great to putt around in, you should really consider just immediately purchasing another Mounty or X if you know for sure you want to get one in the future anyway. With this economy, you can get great deals on them and you can slowly work on it as you drive it. My area has traditionally been a truck/suv area for quite some time, but with the panic that everyone has created, they're giving them away in favor of smaller cars... even in the winter. I would expect to pay double for a "commuter" car than what I would for an Explorer in the same condition in my neck of the woods.

I hope to be able to get another one right away, it's just all going to depend on what I can afford. I might end up with a cheap first gen for a while that might later become an offroader. It looks like it'll be a couple of weeks though since the insurance is in my parents name they will get the check for whats left after the mountaineer is paid off. And they're leaving for Alaska Monday morning for 2 weeks. So it'll probably be until after they get back that I'll be able to start looking seriously.

Techie, Just an idea... but Das Frem beautiful white 2 door is still for sale. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for you to drop your Mounty's 302 in it and have a badass sport. Just a thought!

Techie, Just an idea... but Das Frem beautiful white 2 door is still for sale. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for you to drop your Mounty's 302 in it and have a badass sport. Just a thought!

if It wasn't white I might go for that, but I hate white cars.

Well in other news I just got off the phone with the adjuster. The total offer was $6117, minus deductible, buying the mounty back, and paying off it's loan that will leave me with about $3400 to buy something else.

Well that's really good, almost what a bargain will cost depending on where you look. That gives you a lot to work with.

Well that's really good, almost what a bargain will cost depending on where you look. That gives you a lot to work with.

Yeah it's not to bad. I could buy another one for around that, move all of my parts over and part out whats left. And I end up without a car payment which is a big plus. I am still kind of obsessed with the idea of getting a sport with a 5-speed. I really just need to get out and start driving some I guess. I was afraid to go start driving to much and fall in love with something that ended up being out of my price range.

That I understand. I have had friends who would change cars almost every time they went onto a car lot to browse.

I do suggest one big thing though. Make a decision very soon about how much power you will really shoot for, how fast will the truck be? If in your mind you know that you will go very far with a V6 engine, then seriously avoid the V6. The SOHC isn't the best choice beyond a certain point of modification, and the trans choices aren't much better for that either. So if a Sport that runs about like your truck was will suffice, do the V6 to avoid the engine swap.

You know what is out for the 302, and the trans can be built to take anything. If the manual is what you are after, it's not that hard to use a 302 and some five speed.

Work on your game plan first, find you goal to shoot for, then pick the truck. Regards,

Okay, but how do you get to the 14's, if generally trucks are running high 15's like that? I'm hinting that you will be eyeing a turbo or supercharger, which will take you past the 14's easily. Find out how far others got without adding boost, then decide.

If boost is in the plans before you buy a truck, IMO the 302 is a more logical choice. The fuel mileage is no concern then, trans reliability leans to the 302, and you avoid any possible SOHC issues. Just throwing out ideas to help,

Okay, but how do you get to the 14's, if generally trucks are running high 15's like that? I'm hinting that you will be eyeing a turbo or supercharger, which will take you past the 14's easily. Find out how far others got without adding boost, then decide.

If boost is in the plans before you buy a truck, IMO the 302 is a more logical choice. The fuel mileage is no concern then, trans reliability leans to the 302, and you avoid any possible SOHC issues. Just throwing out ideas to help,

I appreciate the ideas, it's all just talk right now just throwing out ideas. I wouldn't think low 14's would be totally out of the question without boost on a sport. I think with my motor dropped in one it would be good for mid 14's with all of the extra weight reduction. Add a cam and it's supporting mods and I would be pretty close.

I really would like to see some real numbers from some sports though, see what they're running at the track.

Yes I agree it's not hard at all with the 302. I was saying the SOHC doesn't make that kind of power with the things people have done to them so far. Nobody has rebuilt the heads and had cams made, or made an intake for it etc. It doesn't have the choices that your engine did, plus the valvetrain issues the SOHC does have. You will figure it out Eric, I'm just nudging you.

...that will leave me with about $3400 to buy something else.
Lets do the math

...$1k for a cheap economical DD (think Civic, Corolla, etc..)
+ $1k for a Suzuki Samurai
+ $1k for tools (welder, grinder, etc..)
+ $150 for steel tubing (rock slider)
---------------------
Awesome Fun <-- sum

Lets do the math

...$1k for a cheap economical DD (think Civic, Corolla, etc..)
+ $1k for a Suzuki Samurai
+ $1k for tools (welder, grinder, etc..)
+ $150 for steel tubing (rock slider)
---------------------
Awesome Fun <-- sum

lol, I think you left horsepower out of the equation

lol, I think you left horsepower out of the equation
The word "Horsepower" is incompatible with the "$3,400" pricetag and the word "Explorer" ;). Therefore "Horsepower" and "Explorer" were left out of the equation.

Back