[photos] Rust busting and painting my 91' sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[photos] Rust busting and painting my 91' sport

urmull

Reaction score
City, State
Akureyri
Year, Model & Trim Level
91' sport
Hi there.

I haven't been very active posting on this forum but I read it a lot so I thunk I would share with you my newest project.

When I bought my explorer it's drivers side had apparently faced south towards the ocean so it has some rust on that side.

Previous owner had made a fine job of hiding it but after me ownin it for two years it started creaping up through the cracks.

Also everything that is suposed to be black is sort of greyish now.

So my mission is to get rid of the rust and paint the black zones black again.

These are the before-pictures:

IMG_8453.jpg

IMG_8455.jpg

minni_003.jpg

minni_001.jpg

IMG_8458.jpg

Previous owner had put a plate over some rust (or what I thought was a little rust) by the gas cap.

IMG_8457.jpg

SL371283.jpg

These are then photos of how far I am now i the process.

IMG_8458.jpg

SL371281.jpg

SL371282.jpg

SL371286.jpg

SL371287.jpg

SL371279.jpg

More when I get cracking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job on the grill & headlight bezel things. I wanna do the same thing on mine :thumbsup:

I'm working on my 93 4 door right now as well. Im taking a break from sanding the drivers side doors so I can prime them. I'm finished with all of my dent repair.

Got my side skirts off and there is no rust in the dog legs :D

Explorers are infamous for having rusty dog legs. (Sounds like a drink.) Nothing a little bondo and quickie primer job can't fix though.

SavaX: Thanks, I'm painting it in matt black, hope it'l come out nice.

mehedgec: That's cool hope we can see pictures but I have no idea what dog-legs are, apart from being under dogs :)

bats: I love bondo :) There was a hole in the left fender so I fastened an aluminum plate under it and bondo-ed over it. ahh the joys of bondo.

We live in Iceland so she's gonna need to shovel a a lot of snow :)

Better learn it early.

And she better get used to working on the car with her daddy.

Funny thing she loved cleaning the "nose" and the "eyes" of the x in our bathtub.

The rusty part in the green section is your dog leg.

Thank you mehedgec I get it now.

Small update:

Got the grill and light bezels on and the bumper is ready for primer.

SL371290.jpg

SL371289.jpg

Back