PIAA 520's... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIAA 520's...

Ok, I want to get some of these lights. I know Matt Adams has them, you will probably see this and read it, so here are the questions. Can they be mounted on the stock bumper? I will try to pull it out as far as it goes. And, I found them at carparts.com for somehting around $211 for the black. Does this include everything? All the wiring and stuff?? Are they hard to wire up? I am sure they aren;t for you[matt[ because you hae like 3 or 4 sets. But how are they wired? I am also thiking of getting the PIAA replacement 9004's for my explorer also since I wasn't lucky enough to win a pair. Do these go for $70? Also, is it a really noticeable difference? Are they street legal?? I will be buying these from carparts.com for a total of $198 with shipping, with the coupon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok I'll answer whatever questions I can. As for whether they can be mounted on the stock bumper... I won't say they can't, I will say I don't know if they will. PIAA does not list the 520's as compatable with a stock Explorer but that certainly doesn't mean they won't fit. They are not as deep as most other lights I've seen so it shouldn't be a problem, but try to check it as well as you can before drilling. One of the cool features of the 520's is a tilted tightening bolt, so hypothetically you could drill a hole into the front of the bumper, stick in the bolt straight horizontal, and tighten it down and it would work... might stick out but it'd work :). The package you get from PIAA will include everything, relays, wiring, switch, light covers, everything. The wiring is all pre-assembled so its the easiest lights I've ever seen to hook up. Here's the instructions I follow. Attach the white wire loop to the positive end of the battery, attach the black wire loop to the negative side of the battery, hook up connectors to lights that you've already attached to the bumper, the connectors are set up so you can only plug them in one way. Then bring the switch wires through the firewall, hook up your switch to a fuse (I use my radio fuse so the lights only come on when the car is on, even though I know it's not the safest way to go), attach the black switch wire to a ground (any screw down in that area will usually work but you can whip otu the voltmeter if you like), attach the switch to wherever you want it to be, and voila, lights are installed. THATS IT!

As for the 9004's, I think there is a difference but some people have different experiences. Some say they make a great difference, others say its just kind of noticeably different. I don't know pricing on these lights but i recall seeing them around $70. They are 50 state street legal.

Another point... if your going to be on the Colorado Fall colors run, you'll get to see a wide variety of PIAA's. I've got 520 fogs, 80 XT driving, 9004's, and 1500 clear fogs. By the time of that run I may also have a few other different varieties. Rick has the 80 XT drivings. Ray Lobato has the 520 Driving, two sets of 80's (one set 80 fog, one set 80 driving). If Dignan has installed his PIAA's, then you'll get to see another set of... umm... I can't remember if he got the PIAA 60's or the PIAA 40's. If Brett is going you'll also get to see the PIAA 1500 clear driving. And if Guy is going, you'll get to see either 60's or 40's I don't recall which one he has. As far as I know thats all that will be there with PIAA lights on.

I was thinking I could put them on the front side of the bumper. Or I could put them on the curved part of the bumper. I may just get them with the 9004's since they will basically be free witht he coupon. And I could have better lighting without having the 520's on, ya know? Think you could hook me up with some? :) Thanks for the help. Seems pretty easy to hook up, I have tried to get some hella 500's hooked up and they never came on. I traded them with a friend for a sub and amp, not a bad deal(for me). He still hasn't even tried hooking them up, he's probably got them sittin around somewhere. Now if I could just get my stupid body lift. I was told it would be here yesterday, but is it here today?? No, I think I may be delayed once again (for the 4th week in a row) on putting the lift on because I haven't got it yet. Man this sucks. Anyways, thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I think you may have sold me on them.

Ok, I think I am going to get the 520's and the 9004's. Now, should I get the driving or the fogs for the 520's?? With the 9004's the lighting straight ahead would be better, so I could go with the fogs to spread out the lighting. But would the driving lights also spread out the light juts go out further?? I am not sure which ones to get. Any suggestions, thanks.

geez rock you sure change your mind a lot :). Ok here's the deal on the 520's. Both use the same wattage, same bulbs, same wiring. The difference being the lens. The fog light lens is "fluted" completely throughout the lens. Fluting is vertical lines that are basically etched in to the lens. This direction the lines are fluted coupled and the shape of the fluting allows the light to be sread out more across the road. The driving lights lens haveonly a few lines in the center of the lens that are "fluted". The driving lights are primarily for seeing further down the road though they do spread out the area in front of you as well, but not nearly as much as the fogs. I have the fogs and I often use them in town in addition to my low beam headlights, they definately help spread out the light in front of you, and they don't blind oncoming traffic either. The 520 drivings are great if you want to see further down the road, but thats mainly for highway/off-road use, the fogs can (though not sure how legally - though I've never been pulled over for it) be used in town.

Thanks, I will probably end up getting the fogs. I know I change my mind a lot, it sucks. I just have to wait for this guy to give me some money for the stereo stuff I sold him, then I will get them. So you've never been pulled over when you had them on on the street?? Thats cool, hopefully I don't either.

lets see... crossing over double-white lines... failure to stop for a full three seconds at a stop sign... driving without headlights (it was still light out), running a red light, speeding, lane change without signaling... but nope, never once for being too bright :).

Well, Matt, just to tell you that I didn't change my mind again, I ordered the 520's and the superwhites. I better not be dissapointed!!! HAHA, I am sure I won't be, $200 for some lights I better not, J/K actually a good deal. Anyways, just wanted to tell you that I didn't change my mind...AGAIN. And I will be looking for this thread in about a week to tell you how I like them.

If im planning 2 520 fogs for my bull bar and 4 520 driving for the safari rack, a new battery should be installed? or could i get by wit the stock, factory one? any recomendations?

Rock - glad to hear it, can't wait to hear how you like em. Jay - I've got more lights then you do with one battery, though its an optima. I hope to get a second battery in there at some point, but for right now my battery is doing just fine.

I can't wait either I hope they are as easy to install as you say they are. I am sure they are. J/W, do the PIAA's have a cool looking switch?? I know it sounds dumb, but I like to have everything looking nice inside, ya know?? I could always buy one from AutoZone that I like or somethin. Have a pic of what it looks like, maybe from the PIAA site or somethin? Oh yeah, do they come with a sticker, or can you hook me up with one? Thanks

hmm... thinking of the 520's... I think the switch for those is the less cool of the few they make. THey may have changed it, I don't remember. They make a few different kinds of switches. Some of the lights come with a PIAA sticker... if you want one and it doesn't come with one let me know and I'll try to hook you up. The smallest one they come with though is 2"x8"

Looks like Matt is rounding the bend.. :D
e79um3c.jpg

Watts

How many watts is the high beam of a stock headlight.
I was looking at some 140 watt lights so just wanted to compare.

Wehn I get the lights, and I get a look at the switch, and I don't like it, and if they don't come w/ a sticker, could you get me a cool looking switch and a sticker? I would pay, of course, if it costs anything. Also, if I didn't like it, I could always just use the Hella green switch I have. Thanks for the help.

Heh heh, Jeff, those must be his low beams. :)

LOL, funny guys, funny :). I was telling Goober once I install my next round of lights I'll go out to some field some night, light em up and snap some shots, we'll see how they look :). Anyways, it's not that the switch is BAD, I think its better then the hella green switch, it's that it's not as cool as some of their other lights. I can try to get you a switch but no promises. Sticker I'm sure I can get you :). Anyways, I won't be able to have as much lights as I hope, the dang conferr rack I bought was nothing like the salesman described to me and I have a good foot less mounting space then I thought I would. So that was todays adventure. I'll let you all know how it works out. Can't wait to hear how the 520's work out for you!

Well, I just hope they work out better for me than those stupid bumper brackets from the performance accessories body lift. Oh man, now those things really suck. I have pinched my fingers about 4 times, kicked the hell out of the bumper, frame, and brackets a million times, and I have even thrown the bumper to the ground (I can have a pretty bad temper at times :) ) And do you know what?? I haven't even come close to figuring out how the things work!! My hands are killing right now, and I have to go to work at about 6:00 in the morning, so I am gonna go now.

the only part that you might find frustrating is getting through the firewall, and that's Fords problem not PIAA's :). If it means anything, with all the electrical items in my Explorer, I think I have about 6-7 extra holes drilled in the firewall, and thats AFTER using every grommet in the front firewall possible and even some of the grommets in the body of the vehicle. Not that's a lot of wiring. If I ever have a bettery short I have no idea I'm going to die in a car fire, LOL. J/k everything is fused :).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, carparts.com says that the lights should be shipped by tomorrow, althoguht hey say it takes 2 days after you order to ship them, I ordered them 5 days ago!! Oh well. Lets see, oh yeah, about mounting them. I was searching through their website, and the pic of the dimensions, I couldn't se the dimensions on that small pic and the click for larger image didn't work. But on that pic, the mounting stud seems to be basically even with the back of the lamp?? I don't think I should have a problem with mounting them to the top of the bumper instead of the front, althoguh it wouldn't look too bad right in the fron of the bumper, at leats I don't think so. Oh, yeah, if you take a pic of the inside of your explorer like T-Bone suggested in the Hard Wiring 12V Gadgets thread, could you maybe show me which switch is for the 520's, or do you have a bunch of the ssame switched for all your lights?

Back