Project Lazyboy SAS... | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Lazyboy SAS...

So just bought the wife a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost she told me I can have the Lincoln Aviator and do whatever I want with it. So I am going to SAS this beast. Already started collecting parts. This time I am going full widths.

Here is pic of the bosses new truck...
20120805_095252.jpg

Project Lazyboy 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6 DOHC 5 speed auto AWD.
20120422_174132.jpg

Plans for the truck
3/4 ton Chevy leafs rear.
Ford 9.75 5.13 Detroit
F150 High pinion Dana 44 5.13 electric locker
Custom long arm set up with coilovers
Electric shift BW1356 (should fit since the frame is wider and gas tank is on the pass side).

I should be starting the build in the next couple months. We are getting ready to move so I may not start until mid/late Fall. Stay tuned....:D

Oh and if anyone wants some upgrade parts for there Explorer or Mountaineer the Lincoln used Aluminum front control arms and I think a few other things like bigger brakes all that stuff will be for sale. Also the Aviator has 4.30 gears in it now those axles will be up for grabs when the time comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just do not know what to say..... this is wicked!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I didn't know what to say either after I threw the tires on. Had a couple Jeep guys there when I set it on the ground. And they were speechless. They just started taking pics. :D Thing just looks tough.

So will that maiden test drive include The Gulch next to the house?

It might. LOL That is if I have 4x4 working by then.

Ordered some RE1358 coils from Rubicon Express this morning. They have spring rate of 213 lbs/in. Hopefully that will be firm enough for this pig. The JK springs have spring rate of 185 lbs/in. JK weighs in at 4,400 lbs roughly for the Unlimited. Aviator is tipping the scale at 4,800 lbs. Since I don't have to count the axles the coils should compress roughly 5 inches with Lazys weight on them.

For those who want to know what spring rate is for it goes like this. For every 213 lbs the spring will compress one inch. Then you take the weight of the vehicle which in this case is around 4,800 lbs. Not sure if it is 50/50 on the weight but it should be 50-55% range on the front. You don't have to count the axles since that is unsprung weight (meaning it is already sitting on the ground so coils do not have to hold that weight up). By chucking the IFS and IRS stuff I probably shaved at least 3-400lbs or more off the truck.

So half of 4,800 is 2,400 and half of 2,400 is 1,200(weight on one corner). Divide 1,200 by 213 and you get 5.6 or 5.6 inches of spring compression. JK coils would have put me at about 6.5" of compression.

So now I know how much the coil will compress when I get the coil I measure the total length and set my coil bracket so get the ride height I want. That is one of reason I prefer Rubicon Express coils since they publish there spring rate which makes my life easier. Not to mention RE coils tend to be on the stiff side.

Probably measure for shocks today. And I decided against the Super Duty case it will fit but I am going to have to do a lot work to get it in there. I might just try a NP205. I am also thinking I might just order a STaK Mini Monster for it. The one in Merc fits great and is about the same size at the BW4404 in there now. So I won't have to move a bunch of stuff.

Looks Great....

I should drive mine over..... Merc dwarfs mine.

But I was parked at the dog park at Chatfield today and when I was leaving, a slightly newer stock Ex was parked next to mine- it looked big compared to that one.

Hey, one of each Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury. I so need to do that to my Explorer. I just wish I had a garage to work in.
Looking good. I say the hell with mall crawling, wheel the SOB.

Tim

Hey, one of each Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury. I so need to do that to my Explorer. I just wish I had a garage to work in.
Looking good. I say the hell with mall crawling, wheel the SOB.

Tim

It will get wheeled not as much as the Merc or Double R. I just need to get it ready for end of March Mother in law is coming to visiting she can drive it while she is here(she was asking my wife if there would something she can drive or if she needed to rent a car). HAHAHA :eek::D

Looks awesome!

If i owned a gas station id daily drive the **** out of it. :D

Yeah I can't wait to see what the MPG is going to be. HAHA Just waiting for the warm weather to return so I can get more done on it. Need to get the rack and pinion out and cut cross member out to make room for the steering box. Should be fun. Also picking up another Ranger project this weekend. And been searching for a 2wd Ranger to build a new sleeper project.

Looks great. what kind of springs are they?

RE1358 coils from Rubicon Express this morning. They have spring rate of 213 lbs/in.

stang, this is a very impresive work you have done to the Aviator! if I ever want to have an off road vehicle for sure I will contact you even if I have to drive to Colorado from Canada to do it!
Send us some info so we can have it handy on our cel phones to contact you.
Thanks,

Ivan

Thanks if you need to help with your truck just have to let me know. Axle business has been good to me. Things are really starting to boom too. I have 15 axles to build or gear this week.

Picked up a new Project called 2.0. Should have time this Sat for Lazy again. People are starting to get there tax returns so my phone is about to explode from all the calls. Which is awesome. Maybe get my wifes new F150 paid off by Fall that would be amazing.

20130202_130308_zps2da32c7c.jpg

Back