• Register Today It's free!

Recall work?

net_shark512

Reaction score
City, State
pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I just got my X about 2 weeks ago. I have found out it has 2 open recalls. Speed control cable and drivers seat recliner bolt. I understand the problem with the speed control cable, but drivers seat recliner bolt? What would be wrong with it?What about the passenger seat? besides my drivers seat is all power would that still be included in recall? My local dealer is doing both recalls tomorrow for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by net_shark512
I just got my X about 2 weeks ago. I have found out it has 2 open recalls. Speed control cable and drivers seat recliner bolt. I understand the problem with the speed control cable, but drivers seat recliner bolt? What would be wrong with it?What about the passenger seat? besides my drivers seat is all power would that still be included in recall? My local dealer is doing both recalls tomorrow for me.

I just received my seat recall in the mail!

It explains the reasoning behind it in the recall letter. But from the sounds of it, you were notified from the dealership themselves.

The recall is for plastic bolts used in the backrest of the seating, they can break causing the driver to loose control of steering and reach of gas pedals. It will be replaced with metal bolts for strengthening.

Normally the driver will feel play/movement in the seat indicating replacement concerns.

HTH!

J

the dealer didn't notify me. I bought my truck used from a little private lot not a ford dealer. I called the 1-800 ford number to check if the truck had any recalls and they told me I don't need a recall letter. Just go to any dealer and they will fix it. It only says drivers seat. Wouldn't the passenger seat have the same bolts also? Or doesn't ford care about that seat?

You hit the nail on the head. Since there is no danger of an accident when the passenger seat fails, they ain't gonna pony up for it. Similar to the front cam tensioners on the SOHC which are covered under an exteneded warranty by ford, if the left front was bad, why isn't the right rear covered? both are identical in part compositon etc. Both will fail (eventually) however to fix the rear you have to pull the engine which is usually 1000.00-1500.00 in labor that ford doesn't want to pay for. In other words FORD is a cheap M$^*$% F^%$@* and don't care about long term customer satisfaction.

My 2cents

Deak

when it come down to it,

all Vehicle Manufacters don't give a **** about long-term customers,

i mean look at Dodge and their crappy transmissions!

driver seat bolt

My driver's seat bolt actually broke before I got the recall notice in the mail. I was leaning back getting my wallet out of my back pocket at a drive through somewhere and the pressure pushing against the back of the seat broke the bolt. I had to ride with my seat laid all the way back for about a week or so before I got time to fix it. I just put a new bolt in it myself.

It is free.
Go ahead and get it all done.

driver seat bolt

My driver's seat bolt actually broke before I got the recall notice in the mail. I was leaning back getting my wallet out of my back pocket at a drive through somewhere and the pressure pushing against the back of the seat broke the bolt. I had to ride with my seat laid all the way back for about a week or so before I got time to fix it. I just put a new bolt in it myself.

I have a 97 Explorer, drivers seat backrest broke today. Thinking it may be same problem, was it an easy fix?

Back