Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 140 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

p_00234.jpg

Going to have to come up with some torque control stuff.
What I did was to take the motor mount bolt out and weld a heavy chain to it.

p_00235.jpg

Then find appropriate socket to reinstall. In this case a 1and 1/8" socket.

p_00236-1.jpg

Then bolt back on block.

Oh ya, this was done on both sides, but it was reverse that was the worst.

Then bolt other end to frame near the modified engine cross member. This reminds me that I have to finish the brace so I can remove it for easy oil pan removale with out raising engine or pulling it so I can check engine bearings and fix an oil pan leak. This way I can just remove pan by taking off the engine brace bracket and pull from bottom.

This 302 just produces gobs of torque with the Edelbrock heads with the large 2.02 intakes and large Ex valves and short runners for low end torque. Then add the Comp cam for additional low torque and this thing is a beast when I shift the Atlas in low and go from Neutral to D or R. I mean it wants to twist the motor out of there ha ha.
I contacted Advance about it and asked about how I read on another site that someone put a torque control connected to the case and they quickly said Do Not Do That. So Plan B was initiated.
Now for the fun part...go out and see If I can twist the motor out of the engine bay on some trails.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you really should only need the left side. how about just do the left side drive it and then hook up the right side to tell us how much more benefit it gives.
The only force moving the motor to the left would be deceleration.

I have done this on a couple of hot rods over the years. need to do this on my bronco for off road as I can see my shift lever moving around.

you really should only need the left side. how about just do the left side drive it and then hook up the right side to tell us how much more benefit it gives.
The only force moving the motor to the left would be deceleration.

I have done this on a couple of hot rods over the years. need to do this on my bronco for off road as I can see my shift lever moving around.

Was waiting to see if any one picked up on that.
In my Hot Rod days, yes the only side that I ever done was the Left side.
But the problem with this Trail truck once I have it in the really Low range due to the Atlas and I shift into Reverse, Ouch you ought to see the shifters move the opposite way it does from Drive once the Atlas is engaged.
I just tested it in the garage once I selected the Low range in the Atlas. Really smooth now, no jerking the whole engine over or shifting handles moving like it used to.
Now when in the Atlas is in High there was no problem with reverse, just your normal movement, but Low is a totally different animal.
Now I may be wrong on this, but I think reverse is a lower gear then drive in the tranny or most all trannies.

A video of it would have been nice... a befor and after thing.
Also the cam that I run has to have a slightly high idle which even makes the shifting from nutral to D or R even more aggresive acting.

Gear Ratios:
2.46:1 1st gear
1.46:1 2nd gear
1.00:1 3rd gear
2.18:1 reverse

so should be a little less than 1st gear

Good info. Thanks.

Everyday, something new,
something I would never have thought to do.
Yet such a day without an update,
creates in me a woefully inadequate state.
How to think as Rick does,
is such a lofty goal
Yet when achieved,
produces such a giddy soul.
Thanks to Rookie,
we have a forum best
Without which,
I too would be forever so much less.

Stupid rhyming/poem bug. Hope it ain't contagious. :mad:

Well like always after doing some god awful stuff, I went out to test it and tried to push a rock up a hill in low. When the rock won I backed down. Of coarse I wanted the rock to win to test out the "Torque O Matic" chain. Worked great.
It's funny to be in the truck while over 300 ponies try to dislodge the rock :burnout:
When it can't go no more forward it starts going from side to side with wheels churning up rocks and dirt. Well except for the open front diff that keeps shifting from R side to L side while doing it's equal torque thing...come on Aussie.

I have some pics of the outing and a short vid of the engine torquing from side to side in Low and shifting from first to reverse but it seems that photobucket site just won't let me download. I'll try later.

Everyday, something new,
something I would never have thought to do.
Yet such a day without an update,
creates in me a woefully inadequate state.
How to think as Rick does,
is such a lofty goal
Yet when achieved,
produces such a giddy soul.
Thanks to Rookie,
we have a forum best
Without which,
I too would be forever so much less.

Stupid rhyming/poem bug. Hope it ain't contagious. :mad:

Hmm, I'm speechless. Must have posted about the same time.
You mentioned that you may come up and steal my little truck.
And I'll steal a line from someone who speaks English light years better then I.
You can steal the truck when..."Birnam wood come to Dunsinane" my good friend. Then again, i think it did ha ha.

But honestly, I think growing up in the 60s had messed my mind up, and I use the words "growing up" loosely cause anyone can grow old, I work hard at staying immature :)

th_M2U00093.jpg

Crank up the volume unless you have someone asleep ha ha . Also for more visual effect click th icon for full screen.
Wish I had of taken a vid of this before chaining down on both sides of engine.
You'll just have to take my word for it that it was worse.

When I first fire it up it's in neutral then I shift into First with foot on brake and bump the gas, then back into neutral and then into reverse and finally back into first. The torque just over powers the brake. You can hear the tires squealing.
Click on pic

Dunno what came over me, whatever it was I think the result was pretty good. It was just fun to write it out.
(Kinda' was hopin' you weren't going to think I was a freak there. :) )

Sounds like you need bigger brakes. :p:

Wife and kids loved it. I printed it out, hope there's no Copywrite infringment ha ha.

Dude i totally see your need to hold your engine in place now, lmao

When I was welding the chain to the bolt, little did I know that I was creating a name for the truck? It was only after watching the video and seeing it trying to free itself from Bondage, that the name hit me like a ton of bricks.
Taken form the Book of Judges.
How could it not be any other name But... "Samson" or more appropriately, LiL Samson.
Just like Samson who fell from the Grace of God, so to did the Bronco ii fell from the grace of Ford.
But like Samson who in his final day rose to new strength so to this little Truck.

Just as long as I can keep him away from any long eyelashed jeeps named Delilah ;)

p_00021.jpg

Took Samson out to do a final test on the chain thing by placing diff guard up against rocks and pressing on the loud peddle. Nothing but dirt flying.

p_00023.jpg

Then it did dislodge the rock and this was going up hill.
Two things that take a beating on this truck are, the diff guard and the lower bracket holding the lower link. The diff cover would have been damaged long ago if it was not for the guard. And the leading edge of the lower brackets are banged up but doing fine which point to the integrety of the welds. Now I don't purposely slam into a rocks either.

Snapshot14-8-201112-06PM.png

It's raining now and I might just take it tomorrow to test those KM2s when it's slick out.

Once the money tree starts dropping it's fruit again, things will start to really get going for hopefully a nice trail truck.

1.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

Thanks Keeper.
I just emailed Aussie about the front locker. If ones ready for a front D44 I'll oder one next week most likely. They've been on back order for awhile.
I just can't imagine what this thing will do then, but it ought to be fun.
If you go back to the vid titled "Fun in Reverse" you can see why I need a front locker. Now it made it up the hill with no problem but if you look close at the front wheels about 3/4 the way up. You can see how the torque changes from tire to tire that has the least grip instead of both turning the same.

Then there's the vid that shows the one front tire that has the traction not even turning but the torque is applied to the other side that has less traction which is turning.
In reality both do have the same amount of torque applied.

No copyright on it, its all yours. :) I'm glad your family enjoyed it.

Samson? Really??

What an awesome name...and it only took you 6 years to find it! :p:

But if I remember correctly, God said that Samson would have amazing strength if his hair was left long. What, in this particular case, is L'il Sampson's ponytail?

No copyright on it, its all yours. :) I'm glad your family enjoyed it.

Samson? Really??

What an awesome name...and it only took you 6 years to find it! :p:

But if I remember correctly, God said that Samson would have amazing strength if his hair was left long. What, in this particular case, is L'il Sampson's ponytail?

Ponytail, now that's good for a Bronco, you do have a way with words ha ha.

p_00050.jpg

Was a little foggy out at the top of the mountain this morning. Trying to get to those rocks for some fun. There was no trails to get there so I was dodging those little trees.

p_00048.jpg

Back tube flairs held up OK sliding the trees around the fender.

p_00046.jpg

Front was doing well...

p_00055.jpg

What's wrong with this pic? Other then the dented front fender. It's still on the truck, that's whats wrong. Spent all that time making those removable fenders, but thought that my superior driving would make it thru...right.

p_00051.jpg

And when I got there, I realized not even rigs from the Hammers was going to make it up that wall of rocks.

p_00045.jpg

Would not want to be sticking my hands in those cracks while they're still denned up :eek:

p_00067.jpg

p_00057.jpg

About to break over the top.
I thought it would be slick with the rain, but the little rain made the texture even more favorable for climbing.

th_MyMovie.jpg

The above vid is more for documentation then anything else.
I have the Atlas in front wheel drive only. I want to see the difference after I get a front locker and hopefully a separate rear manual parking brake for each rear wheel.
Then once front locker installed and brakes are built for the rear try the same turn while having the inside rear wheel locked while again only having front axle engaged.

Darn power steering pump.

p_00073.jpg

Nothing a little hammer won't cure, but does have me thinking about a little exo tubed fender work Hmm. Something that I could still remove fender also.
I've allready stated that I'll build a rear exo cage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went and got some new emergency brake cable to try and make a twin, one stick for each rear wheel. My idea is to be able to use one side only or both for a standard type emergency brake.
I know I have a locked rear in now, but I do have an open rear also and may go to an air locker so twin sticks will go in.

p_00077.jpg

I purchased the set that comes for the Ex rear axle. But after checking lengths, I'll take the short one back and use another long one.

p_00078.jpg

p_00079.jpg

My idea would be to have both handles between seats and just to the rear of the seats.

Back