and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rumble noise at 60-65 MPH

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by davem, September 23, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. davem

davem Active Member

City, State:
      Rochester, MN
      Year and Model:
      '01 XLT
      My 2001 Explorer XLT V-6, with 133K miles, has developed quite a rumble when I get to around 60 MPH which gets worse as I increase the speed. (The condition probably exists a bit at lower speeds, just less noticeable.)

Its kinda of a rumble/loud hum, and includes some degree of vibration in the floor.

I put it on ramps today and looked for anything obviously loose or broken, shook a few exhaust parts, and did not really find anything.

Any suggestions ? Check tire balancing ? U-joints ? (they really dont make a 'clunk' sound when I put in in gear.)

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. tchalm

tchalm Member

City, State:
      Hillsboro, OR
      Year and Model:
      98 Explorer XLT
      A few experiments will teach you a few things.

If it's a problem with the tires they usually show weird wear patterns. Try changing the air pressure up or down by 5 lbs, and see what happens to the rumble. Then go back to the correct inflation after that experiment.

Also try rotating the tires to see what happens to the noise.

Then try getting the tires balanced, and see what that does.

If the tires all check out OK, then start looking at the other parts: U-joints, CV joints, transmission (should be serviced annually anyway), transfer case, etc.

TC

4. davem

davem Active Member

City, State:
      Rochester, MN
      Year and Model:
      '01 XLT
      Tires have been rotated and re-balanced (by tire place where I bought them).

No change in rumble/vibration.

Taking to my general repair shop tomorrow, I hope.

5. davem

davem Active Member

City, State:
      Rochester, MN
      Year and Model:
      '01 XLT
      The front right wheel bearing was worn out and needed replacing.

Problem solved.

Cost $480 for parts and labor.