Project Rear End | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Rear End

I would think that two mono's would be wicked stiff and not allow much flex if you off road. I would think that with two your rate would be roughly twice as stiff or rough however you want to look at it. If you wanted could you use a full AAL for a four door pack or even a use second leaf of a pack to help. It would give you some of what you are looking for without the wicked stiffness. Don't know just my thinking! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, this was a bigger project than I expected with a lot of metal fabrication.

Anyway, as you can see, I made a 5-leaf pack using the OEM 4-door leaf pack I got from LMCTruck.com, which was a lot weaker than I expected and my old mono leaf. This is a BEAST of a leaf pack, and at this point I'm thinking it may be too stiff. I might have to go back in there again and remove the cut leaf I made and just use the 3 lower thin leafs from the 4-pack and the thick mono leaf as the top leaf.

I took before & after measurements with no load and under load (my 5x10 Haulmark trailer with 2 bikes in it). I have to scavange where I put those numbers and will post them soon.

Below is the before pic under load. The Ex is looking wimpy.

Attachments

• With Load - Far.jpg
    With Load - Far.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 187
  • With Load - Close.jpg
    With Load - Close.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 181

Pics

Attachments

• Lopped Off Ends.jpg
    Lopped Off Ends.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Leafs.jpg
    Leafs.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 549
  • Center Bolt.jpg
    Center Bolt.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 922
  • Carriage Bolt Head.jpg
    Carriage Bolt Head.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 191

Spacer

Attachments

• Spacer.jpg
    Spacer.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 911

BTW, Ohm, you are right, the Monos were 3" wide and the 4-pack is 2.5" wide. The U-bolts are spaced even more than 3" wide, so I don't think this width difference has any effect. It the shackle and the front frame bracket that hold the leafs in place.

Here are the Before (with just LMC Truck's OEM 4-door 4-leaf pack) no load heights:
Ground to bottom of left rear fender = 38"
Ground to bottom of right rear fender = 38"
Ground to bottom of hitch = 17-3/8"

I'm still looking for the with-load (trailer) specs, I might have lost them.

I'll take the After specs, kind of waiting for the springs to settle a little first. I hitched up the trailer this morning and the trailer doesn't even phaze the rear ride height. These are some strong springs!

Back