• Register Today It's free!

seats discolored

jumpervb

Reaction score
City, State
roanoke,va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT & 2011 XLT
have a 2011 X and we have noticed our seats are changing color.
Mostly to denim blue! From our blue jeans. Don't say buy better jeans, Wranglers and Levi's are what we wear.
Anybody else notice this?
Can these seats be cleaned to remove this discoloration?
and how is it happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have a 2011 X and we have noticed our seats are changing color.
Mostly to denim blue! From our blue jeans. Don't say buy better jeans, Wranglers and Levi's are what we wear.
Anybody else notice this?
Can these seats be cleaned to remove this discoloration?
and how is it happening?
we have the same problem.

Edit, do you have leather or cloth?

Its leather, is this your 1st light colored leather? It happens all the time. That's why black IMO is the best.

We have a 2007 Camry Hybrid with the same color leather and it has not happened as of yet. Really hope it does not happen to the Explorer.

I have had this issue in the past as well. And currently with my 11'X.

I know people are going to eat me up for this, but ive used S.O.S pads on the stains and it pulls the crap off immediately. You have to be careful to not allow drips or let it sit more than 30 seconds as it will bleach the color out. SECONDLY and most important, you MUST use a leather refresher or leather treatment lotion of some sort to prevent it from drying and cracking out.

I know this method is a bit nutty, but it worked well in my previous explorers. Just be careful you dont over scrub with the sos pad, dont let the soap sit long, and refresh the leather immediately with a quality leather product.

Or just get seat covers. ;) Im looking into Wetokle ones.

Not sure what to do about cloth, i have only had leather.

I WOULD NOT try SOS pads on the cloth, as that will bleach for sure!!!

I had a 2003 Honda Accord for 9 years with (lighter) gray seats and never had any discoloration from clothes. Is this something that only happens on Fords?

I have the light stone leather and have not noticed any problems with discoloration and I wear jeans too. Perhaps it happens with those jeans that are fairly new and haven't gone through the wash much?? :dunno:
I would not recommend seat covers if you have the heated or cooled seats. Or if you do, don't use the heated seat function.
The Owner's Guide says not to put anything on the seat, such as a blanket or cushion that insulates the heat and could cause possible overheating of the heating system.

Peter

I had a 2003 Honda Accord for 9 years with (lighter) gray seats and never had any discoloration from clothes. Is this something that only happens on Fords?

Yes, blue denim only leaves marks on Ford seats. Never 9-year old Honda seats.

Yes, blue denim only leaves marks on Ford seats. Never 9-year old Honda seats.
Kinda makes you wonder about the color of the wearer's seat, never mind the Explorer's seat.:)

Peter

LOL, my friend had a Honda Accord with the gray leather interior and it turned blue from his clothing. That was the last time he bought light colored leather. It is definitely not related to manufacturer. Go to an auto show the last day it is in town and count how many light colored leather interiors look dingy from the clothing dye. That is why we got black.

Wow, that's a new one on me. I've never had a cloth interior discolor from clothing. I am not sure what to suggest for that one.

The problem isn't with the seats, cloth or leather. The problem obviously is with the clothing some people buy. I had light gray and light beige leather in the 3 Highlanders I had before and never had any problems with discoloration due to wearing Wrangler or any other jeans.

Peter

Wow, that's a new one on me. I've never had a cloth interior discolor from clothing. I am not sure what to suggest for that one.
Easy. Color match your wardrobe to match the seats.:D

Peter

The problem isn't with the seats, cloth or leather. The problem obviously is with the clothing some people buy. I had light gray and light beige leather in the 3 Highlanders I had before and never had any problems with discoloration due to wearing Wrangler or any other jeans.

Peter

May I direct your attention to post #1.
Wranglers and Levis are what we wear.

Must be how your washing them Levi's.
Did you do anything to the seats? like Scotch Guard?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just another thing

Back