Speedo works but odometer doesn't? I fixed mine.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedo works but odometer doesn't? I fixed mine..

My speedo works,my trip works but my odometer does not,is that a worm gear problem also?

What would happen if you would pull the needle off the gauges?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My speedo works,my trip works but my odometer does not,is that a worm gear problem also?

What would happen if you would pull the needle off the gauges?

I would avoid pulling the needles off as I've read they are a pain to get back on and read correctly.

I think the worm gear drives a main gear which in turns both the odometer and trip
I went back though my pictures but could not see detail to confirm that.
Either way, a gear is not working in there somewhere.

As mentioned above, you might be able to pull the speedo off from the front (dont pull the needle) and then you'll see the gears.

I would avoid pulling the needles off as I've read they are a pain to get back on and read correctly.

I think the worm gear drives a main gear which in turns both the odometer and trip
I went back though my pictures but could not see detail to confirm that.
Either way, a gear is not working in there somewhere.

As mentioned above, you might be able to pull the speedo off from the front (dont pull the needle) and then you'll see the gears.

My step-son finally got me that speedometer for me. It's got 195,000 miles on it. I haven't had a chance to install it yet.

I'm wondering if the motor that drives the worm gear is what's bad? Mine tends to work sporadically. It may work for about 800 miles then just stop again.

I bookmarked that website where you can buy new worm gears for around $30, just thought I'd try a used speedometer cluster before tearing mine apart.

I love my Explorer but it's starting to show it's age after 15 years.

On my to do list:

1) Clean or replace the EGR valve (kicking the check engine light on)
2) Replace PS exhaust manifold (it's cracked or the gasket is blown out)
3) Replace hoses to the seat boosters

I had the front end realigned the other day thinking it might take some of the slop out of the steering rack. Wishful thinking. There's some play between the 11 and 1 oclock position. I have to turn it past either or to make it steer.

But once I drive the vehicle for about a week I get used to it and don't notice it.

That's the first vehicle I have ever owned with a steering rack with play in it. I've owned Fiats and Yugos which have TRW racks, some with close to 200,000 miles and have nevered noticed that amount of play.

I'm wanting to keep my Gen II Explorer because I like it's body style better than the newer ones but I'm starting to wonder if it's time I should trade up to a newer model.

I'm wondering if the motor that drives the worm gear is what's bad? Mine tends to work sporadically. It may work for about 800 miles then just stop again.

Mine did that too
Until the day when It didnt work any more :D

I too have had a broken worm gear, which has been fixed thanks to this great thread.I would like to add a tip to this regarding the shift indicator. The shift indicator (PRNDL) is actually housed in a small box. Follow the steps at the beginning of the thread.Before taking out the instrument cluster, remove the lens using the torx bits.You can then remove the black shift indicator housing. So no fiddling with the cable.Installation reverse of removal. I got my new gear from Odometer Gears, and they send them to me all the way to The Netherlands.

Thanks to all for the tips, and take care.

Udo.

Junk yard ODO gear

I see this is an older post, and that the odometer worm gear is a common problem.(nice:thumbsup: write up) I was just wondering if anyone has found a place to buy a new gear and/or motor with gear. I really would like for mine to work as I have no gas gauge at this time. I have replaced this gear twice with salvage yard parts and both times it worked until I hit the reset. If they are simply unavailable I will "engineer" something. :D lol
P.S. The gauges "do" just pop out from the front side with the clear plastic cover and black surround removed, you do not have to remove the bulbs and peel back the board.

good post, good info, mine odometer has completely stopped working a few months back, i was wondering, mine is a 96 EB, and i have a 91 EB, i was wondering if i could take the gears from the old and use them on the new one? or would i have to find a junk yard? i have not taken it apart yet, just like to get thoughts?

I have the same problem, odo hasn't worked since I bought the vehicle. I can machine the worm gear out of either brass or polycarbonate stock (Plexiglass). Would either of those materials work better?

And I can't really see in the picture, is the shaft of the motor keyed in some way, or is it just a pressure fit?

I have the same problem, odo hasn't worked since I bought the vehicle. I can machine the worm gear out of either brass or polycarbonate stock (Plexiglass). Would either of those materials work better?

And I can't really see in the picture, is the shaft of the motor keyed in some way, or is it just a pressure fit?

Brass would work good (if it has no burs) and yes it's pressed on.
P.S. I fixed mine twice with a salvage unit. It popped the first time I hit the reset. (If you run off several of these I need another one.;))
I have since repaired my (also non-working)gas gauge,and again have no odo. because I refuse to pay $25.+ $10.s&h for a .10 gear! It's not so much the $ I'm just a stubborn SOB:D

My odometer on 95 Explorer XLT has been inoperable for the 7 years I've owned it, it stopped around 107'000 miles-I'm sure it stopped working years ago, its hard to figure out your maintenance intervals without it functioning properly, But I was wondering if the PCM stores odometer readings along with the cluster. And I don't know if I could get that read from a scanner or not, I could reset the odometer to that mileage.

My odometer on 95 Explorer XLT has been inoperable for the 7 years I've owned it, it stopped around 107'000 miles-I'm sure it stopped working years ago, its hard to figure out your maintenance intervals without it functioning properly, But I was wondering if the PCM stores odometer readings along with the cluster. And I don't know if I could get that read from a scanner or not, I could reset the odometer to that mileage.

Sorry, but no mileage storage capability in the PCM. The odometer is it. I had a friend who had this same issue; he put a boat "hour" meter in and based his maintenance on engine hours.

Just bought mine on Ebay from the cheapest seller I could find. Like cobaltyme mentioned, it was koonee. $11.59 with free shipping. Agreed, stupid price for such a tiny cheap part, but still a cheap fix in the grand scheme of things!! :)

Brilliantly Simply!!! Many Thanks for this Post & additions. Removing each individual gauge cluster from the front much easier, although I did check and replace all of the bulbs where needed. Just for giggles, I tried turning the gears backwards however, just like in Life....alas there is no going back.... :^)

Odometer gear

In case anyone is looking at this for information, the worm gear can be found for $5 or so on eBay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can help me, or odometer of Ford Explorer 97 is registered in miles or kilometers?

Back