Any 2006's NOT have a leaking radiator? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any 2006's NOT have a leaking radiator?

My 2007 2wd V8 with 50K on it just started leaking this past week. Good to know it's not just mine, but still sucks just the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mines and my dads explorer had radiator leaks ford dont care about the problem mines started at 32,000 and my dad radiator leaked was leaking at 62,000 could have started earlier, since the thermostats doesnt work properly in the explorer as well, cause the temp guage never shot up high when there was no radiator in reservior

I shouldn't have commented on this thread a couple of months ago. I will now be installing my 4th radiator and we have just over 85k miles....this sucks. At least the radiator has a lifetime warranty, so I'm only out the shipping one way.

I wish my wife didn't like the vehicle so much...I'm desperately trying to talk her into trading it in...I'm tired of always having to work in it. It's by far been the worst vehicle I've ever owned.

My 06 V8 started leaking at around 39K miles and was fixed under my extended warranty.

Just bought a 06 EB Ex 4.0 with 77,000 miles. It was from a small town Ford dealership, looks like they went over it pretty good and drove it some also
I Requested the Ford service record also. It shows it's on it's second radiator. Hopefully the second one is the updated version.
Of course I had it home for 2 days and had the squeal from the belt/ pulleys. Replaced the belt, tensioner and idler pulley with Dayco products and sofar so good.

Mileage looks like 15 in stop and go, have not had it on the highway enough for a good
average yet. It does have the tow package also and the rpms at 65-70 are around 1900.

Will do a four wheel alignment on it this week, the dealer put on a new set of tires, but who knows when the last alignment was done.

David

2006 LS V6 62,000 miles. Went out this morning to this....

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Began researching and had to laugh so I would not cry. After researching it seems that I will need to be sure that the updated radiator 6L2Z-8005-AD is used to replace the original one. (Please tell me they are not made in CHINA)

Say it ain't so.....Made In China

Also the Power Control Model has to be re-calibrated to activate the radiator fan to turn on at a lower temp in order to reduce internal pressure? Sound familiar?

Last but not least and this is exactly what ours did....We heard a loud fan/surge sound coming from the engine. Noticed the temp going through the roof, light came on, temp went down , light went off. So the original faulty thermostat is misinforming the PCM that the trans is overheating and locking up the fan clutch to compensate. Read that someone replaced the thermostat and it resolved the fan/surge issue. Causing the pressure in the radiator to stay down....

And how come there is not a recall? Yowzer!

2006 LS V6 62,000 miles. Went out this morning to this....

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Began researching and had to laugh so I would not cry. After researching it seems that I will need to be sure that the updated radiator 6L2Z-8005-AD is used to replace the original one. (Please tell me they are not made in CHINA)

Say it ain't so.....Made In China

Also the Power Control Model has to be re-calibrated to activate the radiator fan to turn on at a lower temp in order to reduce internal pressure? Sound familiar?

Last but not least and this is exactly what ours did....We heard a loud fan/surge sound coming from the engine. Noticed the temp going through the roof, light came on, temp went down , light went off. So the original faulty thermostat is misinforming the PCM that the trans is overheating and locking up the fan clutch to compensate. Read that someone replaced the thermostat and it resolved the fan/surge issue. Causing the pressure in the radiator to stay down....

And how come there is not a recall? Yowzer!

iphones, ipads, and everything else is made in china, heck even us flags are made in china.....

welcome to made in america with global parts.....

'06 4.0L....Bought @ 36k....now has 78K...no radiator problems.

07 @ 50,000 mls leaking radiator.

Just turned 70K on my 4.6 '06. Still runs like new, no probs with radiator (knock on wood . . . . .)

06 mountaineer radiator replaced with aftermarket at about 39,000 mi. I bought it at a local Ford dealer with 35,000 mi and I beleave the dealer knew, as it appeared that stop leak had been used. I spoke with a friend who is a former Ford dealer mechanic who was surprised that I had gotten that many miles before the radiator failed. However mine failed at the core not at the seal where the plastic top and botton are joined.

I'm not going to say that mine doesn't leak, but it's still the original radiator. I feel that replacing the 20 psi cap with a 16 psi has helped. I haven't added any coolant since I replaced the cap.

I'm not going to say that mine doesn't leak, but it's still the original radiator. I feel that replacing the 20 psi cap with a 16 psi has helped. I haven't added any coolant since I replaced the cap.

just wondering get a cel light? for too long to hit close loop code?

2006 Leaker

Mine just hit 80K and yes it just started leaking So far 1 set of tires and 2 front hubs.

Brakes are good for another 20 or so but I have the parts sitting on the shelf waiting to go in

Rear axel seal is also leaking so thats on my list too

No cel light! Guess the vehicle doesn't care if it takes a little longer to get to a closed loop.

Just bought an 06 V6 june 30th from a major local dealer in St Louis with 69,000 miles. 2 weeks later I noticed anti freeze drips on the floor of my garage. When I opened the hood the overflow tank was completly empty. Luckily vehicle came with 90 day 3000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Newly installed (for free) radiator works great!

2006 Limited, 4.6L, 4-Wheel Drive.

Radiator started leaking at 116,000 and just had it replaced.

Bought a 16 PSI cap today, my radiator has been replaced by the previous owner.
Prefer not to buy the next one.

'06 Radiator issue

I have an 2006 4.6L V8 with almost 80,000 mi on it and have not had any issue with the radiator. I've towed a 6000lb trailer for over a year and the main problems I've had were: exhaust resonator rattling (removed), Both left and right exhaust manifolds cracked (warranty), shifter locking up (warranty), steering wheel click when turning (warranty), transmission thump (warranty), moisture in fog lights (warranty), and an intermittent popping noise when closing the drivers side door. I've replaced the front brakes and rotor due to the original brake pads were defective and caused a groove in the rotor, but the rear brakes are still the originals (getting close to needing new pads). Fuel mileage is roughly 18.5 hwy, 14 city, and 8.5 towing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

'06 4.6 with 42k.. .no leaks

Back