Stuck Upper Shackle Bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck Upper Shackle Bolt

cobraguy1989

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
I have been watching on here for quite a few months and am starting to turn my 1997 mountaineer into a fun little offroad vehicle. I have made my own shackles and got 3 out of the 4 bolts out except for one of the frame to shackle bolts. I have liberally applied PB blaster on the bolts for 3 days every morning and then decided to tackle the job. Even after that it is rusted to the shackle and I also think the sleeve of the bushing. What is the best method to get this out? I was thinking of heating it up but then I thought I had read that the frame bushings are like basically irreplaceable. I have tried beating it with a hammer but there is not much room between the bolt end and the quarter panel to "knock" it loose.... Any help is appreciated here :)

if you want the bushing that goes into the frame the ford part number is F57Z 5A546 AA. give a dealer a call and see if they still have them (they did about 5 or so years ago). if they do, get it. then go back, cut the head and the nut off yours. get a ball joint press and push out the rubber part of the bushing then you can either (as long as your careful) take a sawsall and put a cut from end to end so it will collapse and you can hammer it out, or beat on it with a hammer and chisel till it comes out

Back