Transmission not engaging after an engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission not engaging after an engine swap

vlad82

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6 V8
Hi guys, i need some help. I have a 2002 4.6 Explorer. I did swap the engine with one of a Mountaineer ( thanks to the online support of one the fellows on the forum) The new engine starts and runs great. No Issues when mating the block to the transmission. Unfortunately the transmission does not want to engage now. I can move the lever to P,R,N,D,3,2,1 the switch on the transmission also moves. Trans fluid level is good, the torque converter spins ( did not fill the torque converter when engine was out but i believe it should fill up by the oil in the pan - actually trans fluid level now is probably high if that matters. Any suggestions that do not lead to taking out the engine again? I would really appreciate your help since i do this by myself after work and it already cost me over a month to finish...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the torque converter holds the majority of fluid in these transmissions. You would have to fill the pan multiple times in order to fill up the TC and then add more to fill the rest of the trans. When I did my shift kit my trans took 9 quarts to properly refill it. (It sat over night with VB out but also Transgo recommends a different fill procedure that will have more fluid in the trans than Ford procedure) The manual says the trans holds somewhere in the range of 12.5 Quarts and calls for a 5 to 6 quart filter service. So that means the TC holds at least 6 quarts of fluid.

Yes, there is a lot of fluid in that transmission. I actually did service my transmission this Spring in a shop, where it was refilled the way it should be, so before the engine swap the transmission was on a 100% working and functional. During the swap i did spill less than a "cup" of fluid out of the torque converter, but refilled the transmission with 5 qts WITHOUT draining it just to make sure there is enough fluid to get to the Torque Converter in case some is missing. A fellow from the forum suggested it might be an electrical issue (connector issue) so that's what i a planing to check after work today. I must say that
not having a car to go to work really messes up your life...

Thanks for the bump.
I must exclude the lack of oil in the system since last night overfilled the transmission with fluid so it actually overflowed from the sides.
I also did check for electrical Issues such as unplugged connector, but couldn't find such. I also tried engaging the 4x4 high/low manually from the switch but none of the lights on the dashboard lid up so if that brings you any ideas i will be more than grateful to get some as i am already out of ideas...

No engagement in forward and or reverse will not be any kind of a electrical issue. It should engage in a forward gear and reverse even with all electrical controls disconnected.

The most common reason for a complete no engagement after a transmission or engine swap is a broken pump due to the converter not being fully seated into the pump, when the engine is started it breaks the pump gears.

Need to check line pressure, its best to use a gauge, if no gauge you could just remove the line pressure plug in the case and start the engine, it will make a mess unless you use some kind of hose attachment but at least you will know if the pump is working. If nothing comes out the pump is not working.

No engagement in forward and or reverse will not be any kind of a electrical issue. It should engage in a forward gear and reverse even with all electrical controls disconnected.

The most common reason for a complete no engagement after a transmission or engine swap is a broken pump due to the converter not being fully seated into the pump, when the engine is started it breaks the pump gears.

Need to check line pressure, its best to use a gauge, if no gauge you could just remove the line pressure plug in the case and start the engine, it will make a mess unless you use some kind of hose attachment but at least you will know if the pump is working. If nothing comes out the pump is not working.

James, could you specify the location of the "line pressure plug". Other than that i get your point, if oil bursts out of there the pump is ok.

And if that is my problem, could you briefly explain what are my options. Thank you

The pressure tap location is on the driver side just behind the MLPS (manual lever position switch).

If the pump is not working you will have to replace the pump and maybe the converter at a minimum.

The pressure tap location is on the driver side just behind the MLPS (manual lever position switch).

If the pump is not working you will have to replace the pump and maybe the converter at a minimum.

I have located the pressure tap and unfortunately the pump is not working. As i disassemble, what kind of ware and tare should i been looking for? How would i know if the Torque Converter needs to be changed? Just to make sure i understood you right, there should be damage on the gears of the TC and the Pump where the two attach together?

P.S. How can i tell what kind/model my Transmission so i can get the proper parts. Its a 2002 Explorer 4.6 V8 Eddie Bauer

I have located the pressure tap and unfortunately the pump is not working. As i disassemble, what kind of ware and tare should i been looking for? How would i know if the Torque Converter needs to be changed? Just to make sure i understood you right, there should be damage on the gears of the TC and the Pump where the two attach together?

P.S. How can i tell what kind/model my Transmission so i can get the proper parts. Its a 2002 Explorer 4.6 V8 Eddie Bauer

There is a tag on the case which gives the information you need. Reading from top left to right, the very large number is the model number, next to right top, very small, assembly level, all the way to the right, 2nd. line down is build code, then serial number, bottom is build date (YMDD).

When you put the converter back in place after pump repair, if the round front pilot nose extends beyond the flat machined front transmission/engine mating surface, it is NOT properly seated in the pump. Rotate it by hand while lightly pushing it inward toward the pump. imp

2002 Explorer with a 4.6 should have a 5R55W or S transmission, the S and W wont matter for a pump replacement.

The damage to the converter hub should be noticeable at the end of the hub where they index the pump gears and the pump gears are most likely completely broken.

Take a picture of the converter hub if you are unsure and I can tell you if it is damaged.

Back