TripMinder Message Center Install! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TripMinder Message Center Install!

going to sub to this.

Thats what happens in my friend's jeep when you take your foot off the gas on the HWY, it jumps up to 99MPG, because you're going 100km/h and using no gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

going to sub to this.

Thats what happens in my friend's jeep when you take your foot off the gas on the HWY, it jumps up to 99MPG, because you're going 100km/h and using no gas.

So looks like the rabbit hole goes deeper...

Apparently some TM's have grounds on pin 7 only, some 9 only, some 7 and 9...I'm wondering the TM with our PCM require dual grounds for the DOL to work properly.

Russ and I are trying to break this one down. Unfortunately the room is so tight in the dash, when messing with the wiring the damn thing broke out of it's mount so back to square one!

Tomorrow ill try it with the two grounds to see if that's all it is. After I finally get it reading properly, i'll def post up diagrams/install pics, etc.

awesome install, i should install one in mine. After all I work at an Audio/Video store so i have access to all sorts of neat toys when it comes to cars

So quick update...this project turned into a major PITA.

Anyway, it seems as though theres a posibility that certain flashes of EECIV PCM's have pin 34 (DOL) disabled. Why? I have no idea. I've been poking around with somet of the guys on EECTuning boards and its not the first time they've seen it. So maybe I just lucked out and got a PCM with it disabled.

I'm sending a unit to Russ to confirm i'm not crazy...if I can get my hands on another 94' PCM maybe i'll just try plugging it in see if there is any change.

I'll post some install pics/notes tonight so you guys can give it a shot and hopefully have better luck. Hooray 158MPG!

Dang, complications! Haha. I picked up a TripMinder from a junkyard for just this project, but have wondered about the pin 34 issue ever since I was working on the now-mothballed digital Cougar dash conversion. Let us know what you find out about pin 34. And if there's an easy way to test it without wiring everything up, i.e. is it a digital signal or just a variable voltage that can be probed with a meter.

Dont worry bud, as soon as i get it in the mail, ill hook it up and see what we got goin on!

What ever hapened to this? It seems like a cool Idea I'd love to do it.

Bumpin again cause I'm really interested

The reason I haven't updated this thread is it seems I'm doomed with a PCM that does not have DOL active on pin 34. I've been trying to score a PCM from a 93' for cheap but haunt got around to it.

I've confirmed with NICE59FORDF100 that on his 92' PCM, the DOL is active and the TM is working properly. For now, that just leaves me with a TM acting as a clock and speed sensor.

It's a very simple project, I would say give it a shot. If you have a 94' PCM with a different catch code then RIM0, maybe your DOL will be active.

@Mr Cribb - technically any TM that is OBD1 would work, but the early 90's TM from the Cougars and Tbirds were huge and would be a hard retrofit. The mid 80's ones were the right size to squeeze into smaller places.

@Mr Cribb - technically any TM that is OBD1 would work, but the early 90's TM from the Cougars and Tbirds were huge and would be a hard retrofit. The mid 80's ones were the right size to squeeze into smaller places.

Ok good to know... it's been many years since my folks had a 90 cougar, and I knew it had the fancy TM in it, but I was drawing a blank on the actual size of the TM.

So was there a particular series (or trim line) of X pcm's that had the active pin 34?

I am figuring since mine was built as an XL model that my pin prob doesn't exist.

Actually, all Ford OBD1 EECIV PCM's have pin 34 and should be active.

I've talked with a few guys on the EECIV tuning boards and their guess is that because 94' was the last year before Ford switched to OBD2, they disabled a few things.:rolleyes:

It's not a trim line feature, but just a native pinout of the PCM itself so even if you are an XL you should be ok.

The reason I haven't updated this thread is it seems I'm doomed with a PCM that does not have DOL active on pin 34. I've been trying to score a PCM from a 93' for cheap but haunt got around to it.

I've confirmed with NICE59FORDF100 that on his 92' PCM, the DOL is active and the TM is working properly. For now, that just leaves me with a TM acting as a clock and speed sensor.

It's a very simple project, I would say give it a shot. If you have a 94' PCM with a different catch code then RIM0, maybe your DOL will be active.

I might have to get one and give it a shot even if the gas stuff doesn't work it'd be pretty cool, Plus I need a clock.

I'm headed to pull a part this weekend so I'l see if I can pick one up.

I have a 94limited if I swapped to a 93 computer would it mess with anything? I might grab one this weekend if they're not too expensive.

Actually, all Ford OBD1 EECIV PCM's have pin 34 and should be active.

I've talked with a few guys on the EECIV tuning boards and their guess is that because 94' was the last year before Ford switched to OBD2, they disabled a few things.:rolleyes:

It's not a trim line feature, but just a native pinout of the PCM itself so even if you are an XL you should be ok.

95 was the last year before OBD II....

Perhaps there is a way to enable that pin out in the PCM programming, if its only disabled in the software...

yup i just installed in a 94 explorer 2 dr and im getting the wanna be 160,140,130 ect mpg problem as well.....did anyone come up with a solution?

i think the 94's are just affected with this. my guess is that you get a 93 pcm and throw it in and see if it works?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a 94' PCM with a different catch code then RIM0, maybe your DOL will be active.

Both of my 94s have catch code UMP1. I am going to give it a shot; do you know what sort of output I am looking for on pin 34? Would rather hook up a multimeter first to verify output than the whole works.

Back