Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
It's time to plan for the MLK weekend Truck Haven run January 13-15.

For those who are unfamiliar, Truck Haven is a huge playground for off-road vehicles located in the Southern California desert, immediately adjacent to Salton City, Ca.

There are trails for everyone, from mild, to wild. This is a great place to test your driving abilities as well as the capabilities of your Explorer. You can see the kind of fun we've had during previous events by checking out a Trip Report from a previous run :)

Newcomers are encouraged to join us at Truck Haven since there is such a wide variety of terrain. If you don't like the way something looks just let us know and we can find a bypass.

Vehicle damage: There is always a possibility of vehicle damage any time you go offroading. Damage could be to the vehicles body, or mechanical systems.

Most of the group camp in tents, RVs, pop up campers, etc.

There are NO facilities available at Truck Haven. Camping is primitive with no water, toilets or showers available. If you have a porta potty bring it. A 5 gallon bucket with a plastic bag will work well :D

Bring everything you will need. We normally have lunch on the trail at least one day. Everyone is also requested to bring firewood to add to our traditional BIG campfire. If you can't bring any don't worry about it, but the more we have, the warmer the fire:D

Bring your own cooking supplies. If you don't have any you can probably share someone else's grill.

Check for our upcoming Pot Luck Dinner thread. It has become a tradition to bring a favorite dish to share for our Saturday night meal. This has worked out GREAT in the past.

There is a large convenience store/gas station and a couple of restaurants in Salton City which is about 10 minutes from base camp.

Weather conditions in January usually consist of warm days and cool to cold nights, rain could be present. High winds, and driving dust storms are always possible. Come prepared!

Bring Firewood!!
AUT_2665.JPG
DSN_2083.jpg
DSN_2133.jpg
joe_2wheel.jpg
rick_waterfall.jpg

Directions with a map to the campsite will be posted at a later date.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just updated my 2017 calendar with its first entry :)

Screenshot_2016-12-17-07-24-07.png

I'll talk to my boss and see about work

:mad: I have to work. One of these years I will make it down for another run.

Wow Guys! Been a long time! Maybe I can make it to T-Haven this time, but I doubt if the new (to me) '05 XLT will be trail ready by then! Been out of the game since the '03 in the avatar got pretzeled by a Frieghtliner about 5 years ago. Yesterday I bought the stocker '05. Found it on Autotrader with only 93K miles, but it still needs some help. Spent today just checking over everything and making small repairs and adjustments. Anyway, I'll keep checking back here at the site, to get suggestions on building up the new ride, and to keep tabs on the TH planning!

Cheers, Ray H, AE6H

So, it won't have any electronics added to it? :)

What a blast from the past. Good to see you still around Ray.

Planning on it. Already put in for Friday off:thumbsup: It will probably be just me and the dog though

Bring Christmas trees

Last edited:

Would be awesome to be able to make my truck's first trail run at Truckhaven pretty much where it all started for me. Can't commit to anything though at this point.

Would be awesome to be able to make my truck's first trail run at Truckhaven pretty much where it all started for me. Can't commit to anything though at this point.

if you make it I'll make it

I should be able to make it but not with the Ranger. On the plus side I'll be able to bring a lot of firewood.

Good thing we don't camp near the wash anymore. Seems to be a popular spot, there were a few groups out there already when RockRanger and I were out there yesterday.

I'm going to try... I'm a maybe right now... I've had the last 3 weeks off (Office is closed.. heck power is even out for another day)...

I was doing yard a couple days ago (pulling Desert Broom etc) and I managed to do this..

31820158902_db3d464e18_z.jpg
Broken-Center-front-axle-u-joint-2 by maniak_az, on Flickr

31968016225_ca596cd097_z.jpg
Broken-Center-front-axle-u-joint-1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

That's the center joint from the front axle shaft (passenger side)... I actually expected an outer to let go since I had to pull backwards with the wheels turned (fence in the way)..

Final tally... Mark 3, Desert Broom 1... The roots of the 3 I got out were 3-4ft long... This last one is probably over 4 feet AND it looks like it's grown under the foundation...

I also haven't even emptied the Van from the October run .. I did at least dump the cooler.. I also need to replace that holley fuel pump in the van.. It's still over heating after long runs (e.g. Truckhaven to Gila Bend)..

~Mark

IN!!

I should be out there on Thursday afternoon, staying until Monday. The new usual spot??

I probably won't have any firewood to contribute. I am heading out for an RV trip to Quartzsite and Kingman, AZ on the 4th, and the plan is to end the trip at Truckhaven.

I am working to make this trip Saturday and Sunday nights. I have several problems with the explorer, including a busted transmission band (likely rebuild needed), bad axles and tie rods that may keep away but I will see if I can get them all worked out next week.

I was doing yard a couple days ago (pulling Desert Broom etc) and I managed to do this..

I hate desert broom. I have found that cutting it at the base and then brushing on pure weed killer concentrate in the open wounds actually kills the roots so they won't keep coming back. Worst is when they grow right next to a thorny cactus that's part of the landscaping.

The new usual spot??

The new spot sounds good to me. I just recommend that anyone who hasn't been there gets there during daylight ;)

Only a few days out....how is everyone looking? Seems like it could be a small group :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still planning on it.

Back