Vacuum line issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum line issue?

hanzosbm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all,

This is my first post here and it's regarding a problem that my wife has been having with her 2007 Explorer Sport Trac.

About a week ago (and in the middle of a heat wave) her AC decided to go to defrost only. I read up on it and realized that it was either a vacuum issue or the actuator arm. A few days later, she mentioned that once or twice, the AC blew through the front vents for a moment or two, then went back to defrost. Okay, so not the actuator arm. I was all set to spend this weekend working on it, and then yesterday she said that she had tried to set it to Max AC, and when she did and stepped on the gas, she heard a loud sound that, after questioning her about it, sounds like the fan running loud, and in addition, the temperature gauge rose noticeably.

So, my first question: are these two things related? If so, is it the vacuum lines? If so, does the combination of those issues help to determine where the leak might be?

If no to any of the above, I'd love to get your thoughts on this. My poor wife is trying to drive to work in the middle of the day in triple digit temps in business clothes without any real AC.

It sounds like your control motor isn't getting the vacuum power it should.

Here is the manual talking about the Max A/C selection:
http://prntscr.com/g3qjqi

The vacuum check valve may also be the issue.
Here is a pic on where the check valve should be:
http://prntscr.com/g3qj9q

when I select max a/c, it does get a bit louder inside the cabin from the a/c fan. The engine fan can also increase noise when I give it some gas.

I have never seen my temp gage rise suddenly due to the a/c though...and I am also playing in triple digit temps...might be another problem? Do you smell the coolant (possible leak)? when was the last time you had the system flushed (possible blockage)?

good luck.

John

Back