What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Received the front Husky liners and replaced the ones that I was temporarily using from my previous MKT which didn't have the securing buttons to hld them in place.. Still have to get the one corner to fit better. It was really folded up/distorted in the shipping container. Used a hair dryer to get it almost back to normal.

Peter

Husky.JPG

Husky2.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finished cleaning all of the old Plasti-dip off the wheels, and installed the wheel skins. The only thing I don't like about them is that you can still see a little of the OEM silver around the edges.

View attachment 95257 View attachment 95258 View attachment 95259

Still, for $90, I'll take it.

I also pulled the grill, finished removing the old Plasti-dip, and resprayed it with black and glossifier. I'll reinstall it tomorrow.

Oh man, I am so bummed right now that they don't make these for the 20" alloys. :( What a great, quick, cheap option for glossy, black wheels... *sigh*

Oh man, I am so bummed right now that they don't make these for the 20" alloys. :( What a great, quick, cheap option for glossy, black wheels... *sigh*

They actually look really good for quick snap on wheel covers........

Got the same ones. Pretty easy to install.
They really were. I was nervous because I ordered them from Amazon. They were less expensive on there than at my local dealership. I plan to use them to hold a canoe or two kayaks but haven't decided which option to go with.

Next add-on/upgrade: Bumper Protector

I know my adds are minor but I love how they add to the function and look of my vehicle.

Added earlier this week:
  • OEM Hood Deflector
  • OEM Roof Rack Cross Bars
  • Tinted driver and passenger windows to match back windows
  • Clear bra on front bumper
  • Blacked out glossy/matte Ford emblems front and back

Added today:
  • All WeatherTech floor mats

Weekend project (I have all stuff, just waiting for rain to stop):
  • Install rear bumper protector
  • Install WeatherTech license plat holders
  • Install WeatherTech window deflectors
  • Plasti Dip chrome strip that say 'EXPLORER' on tailgate

Finally got my Evitek LED high beams installed and working today. Still have a somewhat long list of things I want to do, but the list is getting shorter, so that's nice. :)

Finally got my Evitek LED high beams installed and working today. Still have a somewhat long list of things I want to do, but the list is getting shorter, so that's nice. :)

I'm very interested in your feedback after using those LED high beams.

Do you have to take the end caps off the rails to put on the crossbars?
Yes. I saved them in case I need to move the rear croossbar.

I've heard they add to wind noise on some vehicles. Have you noticed any?
I did a long freeway drive with mine on. Zero difference in sound that I noticed. Even drove without the radio on to listen.

Very nice! Welcome to the G2 Family!

Thanks Jon. I've used G2 on my previous vehicle too. Stuff is awesome. Makes cleaning the super easy. I'll add a post in a For sale thread too but if anybody wants a G2 kit in black, hit me up. Will sell for cheap

This past weekend: upgraded most of my lights to LED (map lights, glove box, 2nd row overhead, license plate, reverse, rear turn signals, puddle lights)

This coming weekend: upgrade remaining to LED (high beams, front turn signals, fog lights) as well as wire up my new subwoofer

Side note: need to figure out how to replace the one last interior light - in the trunk on the driver's side....

Can you detail what LED's you used and where? Links and photos please.

Can you detail what LED's you used and where? Links and photos please.

There's a great thread on this subject. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-puddle-lamps-diy.326988/page-18#post-3600532

Personally, when it came to the front turn signals and sidemarkers, I went with amber LEDs, because the white washed out the color too much. The amber gives them a nice, deep, color. I also stuck with amber for the rear turn signals. Otherwise, I did exactly what Boisean suggested, using all Sylvania LEDs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back