Where's the electrical for towing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where's the electrical for towing?

Machine090767

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Hi Guy's, I have a 2007 XLT with the "Tow package" a class II receiver and hook up for trailer brakes.
thing is, I have looked all over for the connection to hook up the trailer lamps.
I have owned many other vehicles and have never had this problem.
Or, did the "Tow package" actually not come with a wiring harness for trailer lights? (which would make no sense)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you mean by hook up for the trailer brakes? Do you mean a 7 way connector?
7-way%20vehicle-side%20connector.jpg

If you have Class II receiver (1 1/4 inch) then you do not have the tow package but the flat 4 connector should be under bumper.

I meant you do not have the "full" tow package with 2" receiver and tranny cooler. You are good for about 3500 lbs, and the light wiring should be there.

I have the 7 way connector. isn't this for the trailer brakes?
all of my other vehicles had the small flat 4 connector, (which I cannot find on my 07)
Also, I do have the class III receiver.

Tucked underneath the 7 way plug you should find the 4 way plug. It might be taped up to the wiring harness of the 7 way plug. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of where it is on my 2006 Explorer.

The difference between the 4 way plug and the 7 way plug is shown in the picture below. The 4 way just has the turn signals, ground, and tail lights / marker lights. The 7 way has those plus the electric brakes, a +12 volt lead, and the back up lights.

1wiring.jpg

I have the 7 way, RV blade style.

I use the seven way and have an adapter to plug in the flat four from the boat trailer. But it also has a flat four mounted under the bumper.

Tomorrow, I'll check under the bumper, hitch area to see if I can find if I have a flat 4 connector.

Ok, got. I got confused when you said Class II.

Sorry, I thought it was a class II. but upon further Investigating, discovered I have the class III.
I found out that I do not have the flat 4 connector. (Previous owner must've had a large boat or camper he towed that required the 7 way blade style connector.)

If you have the 2" receiver, then you have the Class III/IV Towing Package.
This included a combination 4/7-way trailer wiring. The 4-flat wiring comes out of the same wiring harness as the 7-round wiring. The same metal stamping that that holds the 7-round connector has an extension underneath that is supposed to hold the 4-way with a rubber grommet (though it does not stay in place very well). The previous owner did not swap out the 4-flat for the 7-round. Both were provided as stock. If the 4-flat truly is not there, then the previous owner must have cut it off!

That said, my 7-round connector works fine, but the 4-way has never worked well since we got it used in 2009 (bad connection somewhere). I use the 7-way for my camper. When I need to tow something that has the 4-flat, I have a simple adapter that plugs into the 7-way.

Thanks for the reply, Brakeman!

If you have Class II receiver (1 1/4 inch) then you do not have the tow package but the flat 4 connector should be under bumper.

Ditto for mine exactly on my 2006.

Update: found the flat 4 connector. It was secured under the bumper, just behind the 7 pint blade style connector.
I am ready to tow whatever needs towing!

Back