• Register Today It's free!

Questions about rims and tires

SandiferAndSon

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I'm new to this website and I'm not very familiar with forums but I have a couple questions to ask if anyone would like to answer. It would help me out. Anyways, I have an 01 Ford Explorer Sport 2 Door and its 2WD. The tires I have on them now came from like Firestone or something and they're like P235/75R15. I just wanted to know if when I go to replace my tires, if I can keep my same rims but get a lot wider tire to maybe hug the road a little more and maybe even smooth out the way it rides a little bit. Just about everything is stock, I still have stock aluminum rims and the tires are just basic regular ugly looking tires haha. But what I'm aiming for is like more of an all terrain or off road type tire that is wider than what i have now. I would like for them to stick out a little bit. I think it would look a lot better and also improve the way it rides a little bit. Is there anyone who maybe has something like this on their explorer so i could see what it looks like, or maybe direct me to an example of something like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i could probably dig up pics of 10.5 wide on stock 7" wide wheels, never had a issue. But you also have to figure as well youll need to bump up the height of the tire as well. or just run wheel spacers

i could probably dig up pics of 10.5 wide on stock 7" wide wheels, never had a issue. But you also have to figure as well youll need to bump up the height of the tire as well. or just run wheel spacers
Can you pull up those pics for me? That'd be nice.

I have an 01 sport 4WD and you can fit some fairly large tires with factory wheels. My truck came with factory 16's and i was able to fit 275/75/16 tires on it with no rub.

Heres what it looked like (No mods at all)
IMG_0706.jpg

Then i took a different route. I found a set of 2000 Mustang GT wheels and put 265/70/17 Goodyear wrangler AT/S tires on them.
IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

See there are so many different options when it comes to our trucks that it seems almost endless. Because after deciding on wheels and tires, you can decide on lift kits, body lifts, shackles, Tortion twist, etc.

Good luck on your search

I have an 01 sport 4WD and you can fit some fairly large tires with factory wheels. My truck came with factory 16's and i was able to fit 275/75/16 tires on it with no rub.

Heres what it looked like (No mods at all)
IMG_0706.jpg

Then i took a different route. I found a set of 2000 Mustang GT wheels and put 265/70/17 Goodyear wrangler AT/S tires on them.
IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

See there are so many different options when it comes to our trucks that it seems almost endless. Because after deciding on wheels and tires, you can decide on lift kits, body lifts, shackles, Tortion twist, etc.

Good luck on your search
What I'm looking for are some tires that stick out of the side a little. You know what I mean? Have you ever seen a truck like that? The tires are real wide an they stick out of the side of the vehicle a little. That's kinda what I'm looking for, I just don't know where to look and what size the tires would be and all that.

the only prob is then you sling rocks and crap up all over the side of your ride

sandiferandson- those stang rims are 17x8 correct? did you use a spacer or anything. Im debating using mach 1 rims on my merc

Back