Who lives in Illinois? | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who lives in Illinois?

we revive it once in a while
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well revive it now.. cause i'm just getting into this lifting thing, and i got my first work done on it and i have other ideas but i need more people's feedback.. people that are in my area that can see my truck firsthand.. i also have never gone off-roading, other than taking minor runs around empty construction lots.. any takers..? :)

well let's do something soon then... there is a couple of guys up north... we can gather around a grill or something... I'm still working on my 94 UnLimited.

i only have a 3"BL on mine so i could get clearance for my 31x10.5r15 wheels.. i want to do more but i won't if i never use it.. i just wanted it to be bigger at first, but now i wanna lift it more and use it. cause its fun as hell.. i wanna get a 2" suspension or something with more ground clearance..

i have also heard of people that lift the gas tank up to the body when they put then BL on.. have you ever heard of that? or people putting an extra tank where the spare tire used to be..?

like i said, i'm pretty new to all of this.. so i'm not even sure if i'm using the correct terminology

where is everybody else? anyway...

you've got a 2000 right? besides the 3" BL you can either go with 4" suspension lift or budget 1.5" - 2"... that would require torsion twist in the front and either longer shackles or add-a-leaf in the back. You could probably fit 31" tires without any lift... I've seen a guy with a 2001 Sport with 3" BL and TT running on 33's...

Gas tank? people have used Bronco II or some Chevy tanks mounted in the back... but I have no idea why you'd do that... lifting a gas tank after the BL? why? I have not done it nor have I seen anyone do that...

We are still talking about reviving the off-road club we once had... don't really know if we get enough people to join. We would like to go wheeling once in a while... have more questions? shoot away!

well as is.. my gas tank sticks way out under it.. and it looks horrible, but i'm also afraid to go over anything cause its really the lowest point on the truck, so if i lift it up a couple inches, it'll be hidden more up into the truck.. i was reading about someone doing it in an off-road magazine..

as far as the 2nd lift, i want to get a couple inches out of whatever i do, but i don't want to get new DD tires. i wanna get new tires like XTs or something for off-road only.. those would be the biggest that can fit the finished product..

I carfaxed my old 1996 explorer and it appears to be in waukegan Il, it passed emission testing there in July. This is just a shot in the dark to see if the owner, or someone who knows the owner is on this forum.

it is a 1996 XLT - Black, OHV, has/had a manik brush guard, enkei 17" wheels, vent visors, sunroof visor, bug shield, and factory grey running boards. (borla exhaust) TT/Add a leaf. Grey leather interior.

Anyone out there know anything about it? I was just curious, I was the original owner (9 years)

It was purchased in Winthrop Harbor IL

Nothing here... have you tried looking in the gallery? It's a long shot and might be tough with so many entries but who knows?

BTW I bought my first "built" Explorer back last year - after 4 years and two owners

Whoa, some Chicago people!! Why didn't this thread come up when I did a search the other day for chicago offroad shops? I probably spelled something wrong :)

Good to see some Chicagoans here... and as for those shops on the first few pages, are they still around? I'll try to check them out. I want to get this body lift installed on my 03 sport to make room for the new wheels and tires, I'm sick of it's puny look.

Anybody know where I could get that BL installed? Like i said in my other post, i'd have my dad do it for me at home, but that's a 7 hour drive away (Iowa) and i never have time to leave the city it seems anyway. Any cool Explorer Forum members around here who would be intersted in putting it on? Name your price, lol. I'm a poor college student but a lot of fun and I'm good at saving money up if there is a good reason to! Usually to pay for my toys is a good enough reason.

It's fairly easy to do it yourself but if you want someone else do it call Matt at Attitude Performance - His shop is now located on Oakton and Higgins in Mt.Prospect (I think) or Elk Grove. There might be other shops but I have not seen any myself - usually do all my stuff myself in my own garage. We might want to call a meeting - meet and greet sometime in early April. We used to get together often in the past.

Looks like another breed of new explorers is popping-up. Good!
:cool:

Meet and greets are sweet, sounds good count me in ;-) I'll check out that shop... it doesn't seem to hard to do...I've been spoiled growing up and have never had to take a car into a shop ever, it's kind of a pain!

Jenni

I think it is in elk grove unless he has moved from there He farmed some exhaust work to the shop I was running about 6 years ago, but I havnt heard anything about them since. seen some of thier trucks they have done and all I can say for thier work is SWEET

I checked and it looks like it's Arlington Heights. 2349 E. Oakton. Matt helped me build my last truck... about two years ago. Check his website www.attitudeperformance.com

Meet and greet would be nice - just hope more people show up than last time. :rolleyes:

hey new to this alot of people from illinois any one no of any trails in the rockford area

hey new to this alot of people from illinois any one no of any trails in the rockford area

didn't see any trails... just pavement

:D

but there are two places you can hit - one in Illinois - funny - in Rockport and the other it Attica - both fairly close... or at least not that far.

Just a few parks out here, no actual trails.

I heard theres gunna be a few custom shops opening up at the new Bolingbrook mall, one of which is for trucks.

Just a few parks out here, no actual trails.

I heard theres gunna be a few custom shops opening up at the new Bolingbrook mall, one of which is for trucks.

for real? i live in bolingbrook, i could probly give them some business... i thought it was going to be all frilly foo foo macy's style junk(besides the bass pro going in)

ok...who's all for a meet? I just got another explorer and can't decide what to do with this one.

Is it possible to revive this thread? Again?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sure it is... how about a meet? huh? is it at all possible? I'll be in Chicago in September and October...

Back