• Register Today It's free!

will 96 doors fit on a 93?

87xjmike

Reaction score
City, State
Colfax, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 exploder
Does anybody know if the second gen doors are interchangable on the 4 door model?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The metal doors themselves from a 95-96 should fit on a 91-94.

It was the interior panel, side view mirror, and trim that Ford changed for 95-96.

Ok so the hinges are in the same spot and will match the body lines?

Should be a direct swap, hinges should be the same. The sheet metal should match the body lines, but it won't look right until it's painted to match, and has the same side view mirror and rub strip/door bumper as the original.

If you're replacing the door due to cosmetic damage, you can cut off the outer skin and have it welded onto the original door frame instead of swapping out an entire door. This works especially well for the driver's door so you don't have to deal with the VIN sticker.

Should be a direct swap, hinges should be the same. The sheet metal should match the body lines, but it won't look right until it's painted to match, and has the same side view mirror and rub strip/door bumper as the original.

If you're replacing the door due to cosmetic damage, you can cut off the outer skin and have it welded onto the original door frame instead of swapping out an entire door. This works especially well for the driver's door so you don't have to deal with the VIN sticker.

OK thanks, I'm replacing all 4 to update them, and will have fiberglass front fenders, and plan to remove the rubber trim piece along the bottom so I think it won't look too off and will have updated int. panels, mirrors, and same color handles. I am worried about the Vin sticker. Ideally itll come off with a razor easily and I can glue it back on. Sounds a lot easier than re-skinning a door...

OK thanks, I'm replacing all 4 to update them, and will have fiberglass front fenders, and plan to remove the rubber trim piece along the bottom so I think it won't look too off and will have updated int. panels, mirrors, and same color handles. I am worried about the Vin sticker. Ideally itll come off with a razor easily and I can glue it back on. Sounds a lot easier than re-skinning a door...

You can pull the rubber trim off the doors and "update" them by either leaving it off or getting the newer painted door bumpers on later Explorers. Even the ones from a 97-01 fit. The mirrors should fit too, though the harness plug is different for the controls for the power mirrors. You can use painted door handles as long as they are still the 91-97 style, and just swap those out too.

I wouldn't suggest swapping out entire doors just for an "update" - getting the hinges on right and getting all four doors aligned is a heck of a job - and that's if you've done it before and know what you're doing when it comes to hanging and aligning doors.

The doors also have a stamped VIN code on each one, (so stolen body parts can be identified), so that's another reason not to swap doors unless you REALLY need to, due to body damage. It doesn't matter that much on older, non-collectable vehicles, but it can be a pain to deal with if anyone ever wants to give you a hard time about it.

I'd say keep the original doors on there and remove the trim and swap out mirrors and handles if you're just updating for cosmetics.

As far as the VIN decal goes, no sooner than you TRY to take it off it will come apart in pieces and possibly leave the words void throughout the decal.

I don't know what state you are from, but I have experience with VIN stuff. I had a dodge pickup a few years back with the typical busted dash that was replaced. When the dash was replaced it had a different VIN number as you could expect. The state of Tennessee where I was living at the time had a Sheriff come out and do the VIN inspection and gave me a new sticker and placed it on the body. This was a long drawn out process of at least a month just so you are aware.

Now in all honesty, the most important VIN is the one visible through the windshield. Doors get changed from crashes all the time. I had different doors on my old 92 and it went through TWO different state inspections for an out of state registration, and NEITHER Kentucky or Oklahoma had an issue. I was honest up front, and said the door has been changed you need to use the windshield location.

If you did go about this, I would remove the other VIN off the parts doors, and find a way to cut your correct VIN number off of the 93 models door. Then if absolutely necessary, go through the proper departments to make the truck correct because some states are a freaking nightmare when it comes to this.

If ford had stuck with putting the VIN decal on the body and not the door, it would have helped to avoid this issue.

I removed the stickers last night. They came off clean.

Yeah I plan to do the install next week. Aligning doors aren't that bad imo, I just did it on my crinkled up race truck...just to get it to shut was a feat in itself. I'm thinking something with no A or B pillar damage like the expo will hang just fine. If not I got good at making hinge and door jam spacers from hanging this...
20150525_142630_zpsgyam8ot7.jpg

The paint on the newer doors i got matches so Id rather hang the door and deal with the wiring then deal with swapping the panel, mirriors, handles, trim AND have to worry about the wiring.

Thanks for all the input guys.:thumbsup:

Does anybody know if someone did a write up on the wiring? I tried searching with no luck.

Back